• Clemens is 11-20

7 12.50%
  • Clemens is past 20

3 5.36%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curiousity

Curiousity

Where do you rank Bonds/Clemens among players/pitchers historically?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: Curiousity

Bonds without roids would easily hover in or around the top 10, IMO. With the added edge(and asterisk) he's probably asserted himself comfortably in the top 10.

Clemens is without a doubt a top 5 pitcher, if for nothing more than dominance mixed with longevity.

IMHO Clemens is no doubt one of the top 5 pitchers of all time. Had he pitched during the dead ball era, I think he would have many more victories that Cy Young's 511.

As far as Bonds, I put him in the 10-20 range, I am trying to remember, but I think that he did win 3 MVP awards before he was on the juice (allegedly of course)
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Bonds is a great player. I don't like him, but too many people are being blinded by their hatred for him. No matter what you think of him, he's one tremendous ballpayer and one of the top 20 all-time.

Clemens: best ever. Period.

Wow, Clemens past 20????

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Wow, Clemens past 20????
    Mike Piazza must be voting :
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Wow, Clemens past 20????
    I'm assuming steroid allegations are hurting them both, especially Bonds.

I personally can't stand Barry Bonds, but I think he is definitely one of the top 5 best players ever. The folks at Baseball Prospectus made a great case in the book Baseball Between the Numbers that Bonds and Babe Ruth are neck-and-neck tied for the best player ever. He was a top-flight defensive player for most of his career. He has been a devastating hitter and could run. I am convinced he took steroids but I am of the opinion that the effects of steroids are WAY overblown. I think the reason he became so physically large is not the steroids but rather the 4 hours he spends in the weight room every day. His reputation has deservedly taken a huge hit due to steroids, but steroids did not make him a great player -- he was already great. Other than the one record-breaking season he hasn't hit more home runs per year after the steroids as he did before the drugs.

Clemens is also a top 5 guy. He has been a dominant pitcher for more than 20 years. I don't think you can find a handful of pitchers that could have put up Clemens' numbers in such an offense-heavy era. I don't like him either but I have to give him credit.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    I personally can't stand Barry Bonds, but I think he is definitely one of the top 5 best players ever. The folks at Baseball Prospectus made a great case in the book Baseball Between the Numbers that Bonds and Babe Ruth are neck-and-neck tied for the best player ever. He was a top-flight defensive player for most of his career. He has been a devastating hitter and could run. I am convinced he took steroids but I am of the opinion that the effects of steroids are WAY overblown. I think the reason he became so physically large is not the steroids but rather the 4 hours he spends in the weight room every day. His reputation has deservedly taken a huge hit due to steroids, but steroids did not make him a great player -- he was already great. Other than the one record-breaking season he hasn't hit more home runs per year after the steroids as he did before the drugs.

Clemens is also a top 5 guy. He has been a dominant pitcher for more than 20 years. I don't think you can find a handful of pitchers that could have put up Clemens' numbers in such an offense-heavy era. I don't like him either but I have to give him credit.
    You have transcribed my thoughts eloquently
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post

Yeah, me too. As I said before, to not have either one of these men in the top five, and heck, even top ten requires an extreme adjustment for steroid allegations. Clemens and Bonds both rival Walter Johnson and Babe Ruth for the best all-time pitcher and position player.

Both are self absorbed jerks, but God gifted them with talent to play baseball.
    Rabid Astros Fan !

bump

I put both Clemens and Bonds in the top 5.

Even though I don't really like Bonds, until they prove he took steroids, I don't see how you can't put him in the top 5. And Clemens...he had a sub-3.00 ERA as a starter in a full season in his 40s...'nuff said.
    "Pam, I am public speaking...stop public interrupting me."
    -Michael Scott, "The Office"

"His capa was detated from his head!"
    -Michael Scott on the death of his former boss, Ed Truck, "The Office"

I agree with what Tex said on Jim Rome when asked about Bonds and Selig. "I dont know Barry very well, but I have to say..he's a excellent, feared and devasting ballplayer with or without."

Say all you want about what Barry did..that he might be a a$$ etc..but the man was and is a devastating ballplayer. No doubt top 5-10 in any case.

Clemens? Enough said about him already.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Talkin' Baseball

On the field, both have been Top 5 all-time without a doubt. The 'roids issue makes it difficult to place Bonds, but he was well on his way to Top 10 pre 1998 (seems to be the possible 'roid/HGH start year). Bonds had a combination of speed, power, and fielding ability that is a true rarity. Only Griffey was considered his equal in their prime for being the most complete player. Barry gave a new place in the game to the IBB and completely changed the way his opponents approached the game. Other than Ruth, Mays, Mantle, and Williams, I can't name any more complete players. Griffey would have been there if not for the injuries. Jackie Robinson, Roberto Clemente, and Hank Aaron should also be in the discussion of course.
    Last edited by JLB5; 05-22-2007 at 06:19 PM.

Turn Off Ads?