Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 55

Thread: Lets all take a deep breath.

  1. #1
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,443

    Lets all take a deep breath.

    Before everybody starts packing their things and leaving, I want to applaud the decision made by Boss and GIK. Since this forum has been split today and this new board was created, I have seen many posters vent their frustrations about it and feel like they have been suckerpunched in doing so.

    I have made attempts at starting message boards for the Bengals and Kentucky Wildcats, as well as attempts in running sim leagues, none of which were ANYWHERE NEAR as successful as Redszone. However, this website has been growing and is at a point where this decision had to be made due to the quality of the board degenerating. Trust me when I say that this was not an easy decision for them to make.

    To those of you who are on the outside of the ORG and looking in as well as to those who are new to the board, take time to read the posts in ORG and learn. I'm not saying you have to copy a specific poster or quote Bill James, Sabremetrics, or whatever, but just take the time to learn what makes a quality post and what doesn't.

    Take it from me, I started posting on the Cincinnati.com board when I was 14, which would probably make me one of the youngest posters at the time the board was created. I joined, but I had an altercation and was banned but allowed to return. I learned the hard way that if I was going to stay here that I was going to have to grow up and conform to the standards that were set in place not only by Boss and GIK, but the veteran posters who were here originally.

    I could have left for other message boards(Fanhome was popular at the time), but I wanted to stay because I knew that in time that this board would be very special. The decision that Boss and GIK have made in regards to the board I believe will be very beneficial to the site and you will see not only more growth on Redszone, but a lot better quality. We might see some posters weeded out, but that's life.

    To Boss and GIK, hats off to you guys. If we had the reputation system still in place, I don't think there could be enough to give out. Not only to you guys, but the mods as well. Chip, Paint, Joseph, Zombie, R4L, macro and Ochre. You guys have the most thankless and merciless job on this board and it is very appreciated.

    Thanks for everything, and I honestly believe that this board will continue to grow and thrive.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    1,162

    Re: Lets all take a deep breath.

    Good post WV. If I have learned one thing from reading RedsZone for the past six years it is that overreaction is a way of life around here. Another thing that is part of the culture of the board is that we are all very passionate about Reds baseball and the relationships that we create with other Reds and baseball fans on this board. Any drastic change to the board, to the team, to the front office is most likely going to illicit this type of response. While I am skeptical of the changes, I am willing to see how the change plays out in the long run...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

  4. #3
    Member jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Troy, OH
    Posts
    2,614

    Re: Lets all take a deep breath.

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    To those of you who are on the outside of the ORG and looking in as well as to those who are new to the board, take time to read the posts in ORG and learn. I'm not saying you have to copy a specific poster or quote Bill James, Sabremetrics, or whatever, but just take the time to learn what makes a quality post and what doesn't.
    The thing is that many of us have displayed this by earning the required rep points to become a member of the ORG. We came and played by the rules and were told we were deserving. I sure has heck never got 30 rep points by one poster at one time. I also understand the need to revamp the system but can't understand the reasoning for punishing those who did everything by the book from day one.

    I've done said my peace and this will be the last I say anything about it because I don't want to be disrespectful. I respect the fact that this house belongs to Boss-Hog and GIK and you must live by their rules if you want to be a part of it. It's a great forum and still most likely will continue to be, but having said that, I doubt I will be a part of it much anymore because it makes me feel like I'm back in high school in the sense I was never a part of the popular cliques even back then.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    We have pitchers now?!
    Posts
    1,017

    Re: Lets all take a deep breath.

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    The thing is that many of us have displayed this by earning the required rep points to become a member of the ORG. We came and played by the rules and were told we were deserving. I sure has heck never got 30 rep points by one poster at one time. I also understand the need to revamp the system but can't understand the reasoning for punishing those who did everything by the book from day one.

    I've done said my peace and this will be the last I say anything about it because I don't want to be disrespectful. I respect the fact that this house belongs to Boss-Hog and GIK and you must live by their rules if you want to be a part of it. It's a great forum and still most likely will continue to be, but having said that, I doubt I will be a part of it much anymore because it makes me feel like I'm back in high school in the sense I was never a part of the popular cliques even back then.

    I voiced my opinioned twice, about how bad (I used the word sucks) a player was and how dumb (I used the word stupid) trade idea have gotten. I got rep points for calling the trade idea's dumb and at the same time I got a 20%warning for it, because I was mean.

    I dont care if that was holding me out of the ORG or not, but the truth is..I have no intention of ever applying to get back into it...just as the mods and the rest of the board has no intention of ever letting me into it.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

  6. #5
    1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ky
    Posts
    5,931

    Re: Lets all take a deep breath.

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    The thing is that many of us have displayed this by earning the required rep points to become a member of the ORG. We came and played by the rules and were told we were deserving. I sure has heck never got 30 rep points by one poster at one time. I also understand the need to revamp the system but can't understand the reasoning for punishing those who did everything by the book from day one.

    I've done said my peace and this will be the last I say anything about it because I don't want to be disrespectful. I respect the fact that this house belongs to Boss-Hog and GIK and you must live by their rules if you want to be a part of it. It's a great forum and still most likely will continue to be, but having said that, I doubt I will be a part of it much anymore because it makes me feel like I'm back in high school in the sense I was never a part of the popular cliques even back then.
    I did it the right way too my friend. 4900 posts +- and 431 points. I posted everynight on the game thread which I loved to do.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

  7. #6
    Reds fan for life!!!! WVPacman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,927

    Re: Lets all take a deep breath.

    This is just terrible news for me!
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

  8. #7
    Reds fan for life!!!! WVPacman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,927

    Re: Lets all take a deep breath.

    I don't know what to say about the changes!! Im at a lost for words.All the hard work that I put into this site just went down the drain and im back at the bottom again.Listen guys I'll be the first to tell you that im not as smart as half of the posters on here.I don't write well thought out posts as all of the others do but it truly is not my fault.I really hate and I mean I really hate bringing this out in the open but I feel it needs to come out so ALL OF YOU can understand me better.The main reason why my posts does'nt have all the well thought out details like all of your guys post's does is b/c I was born with cyerabl Pausey all down the right side of my body,There for it made my body slower and thought process slower.

    I don't want to hear no im sorrys or I feel bad for you posts b/c I've heard them all.When the rep points started I had to start from 0 and work myself up to 200 points.You guys don't know how hard that was for me to win all the main posters trust!! and when I did I was the happest poster on here b/c I knew I done a great thing by showing you I was worthy to post with the big boys.

    Now all of a sudden tonight I find myself back at the bottom and it hurts b/c I put everything I had to reach the top(The ORG)I know I will never be voted in by the members and it hurts but I can't do a thing about it.The main thing that im trying to say is I wish the mods would have though things threw better b/c this decision really hurt more people than it helped b/c everybody isn't the same!! Some people really does have something wrong with them and can't help it..I can honestly say were I worked so hard it feels like it was all for nothing.I honestly feel like i've been punched in the stomich and kicked all over the ground.
    Last edited by WVPacman; 05-22-2007 at 12:41 AM.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

  9. #8
    1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ky
    Posts
    5,931

    Re: Lets all take a deep breath.

    Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    I don't know what to say about the changes!! Im at a lost for words.All the hard work that I put into this site just went down the drain and im back at the bottom again.Listen guys I'll be the first to tell you that im not as smart as half of the posters on here.I don't write well thought out posts as all of the others do but it truly is not my fault.I really hate and I mean I really hate bringing this out in the open but I feel it needs to come out so ALL OF YOU can understand me better.The main reason why my posts does'nt have all the well thought out details like all of your guys post's does is b/c I was born with cyerabl Pausey all down the right side of my body,There for it made my body slower and thought process slower.

    I don't want to hear no im sorrys or I feel bad for you posts b/c I've heard them all.When the rep points started I had to start from 0 and work myself up to 200 points.You guys don't know how hard that was for me to win all the main posters trust!! and when I did I was the happest poster on here b/c I knew I done a great thing by showing you I was worthy to post with the big boys.

    Now all of a sudden tonight I find myself back at the bottom and it hurts b/c I put everything I had to reach the top(The ORG)I know I will never be voted in by the members and it hurts but I can't do a thing about it.The main thing that im trying to say is I wish the mods would have though things threw better b/c this decision really hurt more people than it helped b/c everybody isn't the same!! Some people really does have something wrong with them and can't help it..I can honestly say were I worked so hard it feels like it was all for nothing.I honestly feel like i've been punched in the stomich and kicked all over the ground.

    you the man Pacman You are a great poster. You don't need their approval. You got my approval, and I respect you.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    3,736

    Re: Lets all take a deep breath.

    Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    you the man Pacman You are a great poster. You don't need their approval. You got my approval, and I respect you.
    Ditto. Ignore the 'elite' buddy. You are not below anybody else here, and definitely not a 'mess'

    If you stick around I'll see ya on the Sun Deck as I'd rather not even apply for ORG.

  11. #10
    Reds fan for life!!!! WVPacman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,927

    Re: Lets all take a deep breath.

    Thanks George Foster and TeamSelig that really means alot.Its just dishearting after everthing I had to do to win everybodys respect and now all of that went down the drain.Im going to stick around but it seems like me and alot of more posters are being treated like misfits and that isn't right.I know boss hogg and gik are trying to make this board better and I have no problem with that.I have worked to dang hard to be back at the bottom again.When I was lucky enough to make it to the ORG board I made it a promise to give as many points as I could b/c I know what I had to go threw.Ill keep posting and I want EVERYBODY ELSE that is stuck back at the bottom like I am to keep posting. We beat it once already and people we can beat it again.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

  12. #11
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,561

    Re: Lets all take a deep breath.

    It's about growing pains and learning curves, and sometimes, you just have to start over. For the record, WVPacman, you know I love you! I know your story from our PM conversations in the past. But don't give up hope guys, seriously, this isn't the end of the world.

    I'm already seeing the quality of posts in The Sun Deck improving, and it hasn't even been a full 24 hours yet.

    And, for the record, just like WVRed, I also did some foolish things when I first came over to this board way back in the day, and I took my ban/suspension (whatever the proper term was...), was angry for a day, waited it out and got on with my life, then once I was allowed to post on here again, I always remembered to check myself before I hit the "post reply" button.

    There is no clique, there is not "elite" membership group. We're all fans of the same team, and if we were all going out to a game together, I wouldn't care if I was sitting with Dracodave, TeamSelig, GAC, or the Teamsters...I respect you all the same.

    Truly, everyone of you who has posted on this thread so far are among my favorite posters to read. So, right now, The Sun Deck is your board. It will be what you make it. Just keep doing what you've done all along, and trust me, people will take notice.
    This is the Cal Ripkin Jr. of typos.

    If you ask me to join your fantasy baseball league and I select Legolas in the first round, don't be angry at me. It's not my fault I've read up on the players and you haven't.

  13. #12
    Senor Votto Degenerate39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,909

    Re: Lets all take a deep breath.

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I have made attempts at starting message boards for the Bengals and Kentucky Wildcats, as well as attempts in running sim leagues, none of which were ANYWHERE NEAR as successful as Redszone. However, this website has been growing and is at a point where this decision had to be made due to the quality of the board degenerating. Trust me when I say that this was not an easy decision for them to make.
    No pun intended I hope
    Most Vottomatic Player

  14. #13
    Redsmetz redsmetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Winton Place
    Posts
    11,042

    Re: Lets all take a deep breath.

    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    It's about growing pains and learning curves, and sometimes, you just have to start over. For the record, WVPacman, you know I love you! I know your story from our PM conversations in the past. But don't give up hope guys, seriously, this isn't the end of the world.

    I'm already seeing the quality of posts in The Sun Deck improving, and it hasn't even been a full 24 hours yet.

    And, for the record, just like WVRed, I also did some foolish things when I first came over to this board way back in the day, and I took my ban/suspension (whatever the proper term was...), was angry for a day, waited it out and got on with my life, then once I was allowed to post on here again, I always remembered to check myself before I hit the "post reply" button.

    There is no clique, there is not "elite" membership group. We're all fans of the same team, and if we were all going out to a game together, I wouldn't care if I was sitting with Dracodave, TeamSelig, GAC, or the Teamsters...I respect you all the same.

    Truly, everyone of you who has posted on this thread so far are among my favorite posters to read. So, right now, The Sun Deck is your board. It will be what you make it. Just keep doing what you've done all along, and trust me, people will take notice.
    I have to echo what Savafan said. I'm thrilled to see so many on the Sun Deck getting a chance for their voice to be heard.

  15. #14
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,709

    Re: Lets all take a deep breath.

    I'd like to talk to a lot of the kicked-out folks through other avenues than PM. If folks do go to another site, pm me, and I'll drop in.

  16. #15
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,443

    Re: Lets all take a deep breath.

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'd like to talk to a lot of the kicked-out folks through other avenues than PM. If folks do go to another site, pm me, and I'll drop in.
    A lot of members are switching over to Strike 3. It is ran by missionhockey(who either used to post here or still currently does). There are some good Reds fans over there currently and I am in a keeper fantasy league with some of the members there, but the rules are a lot more laid back than Redszone and I think some members will be more welcome there than over here.

    The only complaint I have with Strike 3 was that I referenced Redszone back when we signed Eric Milton(Saw it on Redszone) and my post was edited to "another Reds message board". Apparently you are not allowed to reference other forums.
    Last edited by zombie-a-go-go; 05-22-2007 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Broken link
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25