Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braves Cut (former all-star) Mark Redman

Braves Cut (former all-star) Mark Redman

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...20965397_x.htm

ATLANTA (AP) — The Atlanta Braves gave struggling pitcher Mark Redman his unconditional release on Tuesday and resumed the search for a fifth starter.
    Former No. 1 pick Joey Devine was called up from Double-A Mississippi.

Redman, an All-Star with Kansas City in 2006, signed with Atlanta during spring training after Mike Hampton went down with an injury.

But Redman never got untracked for the Braves. In six appearances, including five starts, Redman went 0-4 with an 11.63 ERA and gave up a staggering 38 hits in 21 2-3 innings.

The left-hander went on the disabled list this month for surgery to remove an ingrown toenail. He returned to make his last appearance Saturday, giving up a grand slam to Boston's Mike Lowell in his first relief outing of the season.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: Braves | Atlanta Braves | Bobby Cox | Mike Lowell | Chris Burke | Redman
    "I still wanted to give him one more shot," manager Bobby Cox said. "I thought it was only fair."

After Redman went on the disabled list, the Braves called up Anthony Lerew to fill the fifth spot in the rotation. The rookie had an impressive debut, then struggled in his last two outings before going on the 15-day DL over the weekend with inflamed nerves in his right forearm.

Devine, the Braves' top pick in the 2005 draft, is best known for giving up an 18th-inning homer to Chris Burke in the opening round of the playoffs that season. The homer ended the longest postseason game in history and sent Houston to the NL championship series.

Devine has struggled with his control during his previous stints with the Braves. But the right-hander will at least provide an extra arm in the bullpen through Saturday, when the Braves must come up with another starter.

The budget-conscious Braves have already cut two free agents who were signed before the season to fill out their roster.

Outfielder Craig Wilson, who got a $2 million, one-year deal, was released last week after batting .172 in his brief stint with Atlanta. Redman signed a $750,000 contract and didn't last much longer.

The Associated Press
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: Braves Cut (former all-star) Mark Redman

A lot of people around here wanted to give him a shot in the off-season, didn't they?

He's been beyond awful this season.

He's been beyond awful, but hell he was/is cheap...I think it was a case of.."Sign and hope he does some good."

If he was younger, I'd say we should pass..however..He can fill Stanton's role shortly and his age helps!
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

I still think he could help and he is better than Milton and Craig Wilson would be nice also.

I'd love to be the sports headline writer in the Atlanta Journal Constitution today. I know what my headline for this story would be.....Redman Walking

Yeah, he was al all star last year, but you have to remeber there's All-Stars like Johan Santana and Jake Peavy, and then there's All Star's like Mark Redman. He was an All Star because KC had to be represented.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKlu View Post
    Yeah, he was al all star last year, but you have to remeber there's All-Stars like Johan Santana and Jake Peavy, and then there's All Star's like Mark Redman. He was an All Star because KC had to be represented.
    Ding Ding!! We have a winner.
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

He's the best BP pitcher money could buy.
    "There have been only two geniuses in the world, Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare." Tallulah Bankhead

I would give him a shot if he were cheap. Could he really be any worse than Lohse?

Quote Originally Posted by 44Magnum View Post
    I would give him a shot if he were cheap. Could he really be any worse than Lohse?
    There are no waiver wire pick ups that will remotely help this team. The next move that has to be made is to replace the manager. This front office surely cant believe it can win a three legged race let alone a division with this guy managing the team.

I despise the way Narron handles younger players and your looking at a team that will have an infusion of 8-10 young players.

Quote Originally Posted by berryluther View Post
    There are no waiver wire pick ups that will remotely help this team. The next move that has to be made is to replace the manager. This front office surely cant believe it can win a three legged race let alone a division with this guy managing the team.

I despise the way Narron handles younger players and your looking at a team that will have an infusion of 8-10 young players.

Completely agree- Right now, this team needs to be looking at 2008, and to my mind--no one's position (with the exception of Dunn, Harang, Arroyo, Hamilton) is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by 44Magnum View Post
    I'm tired of this team's management settling for players who might not be worse than what we have, instead of going after guys who have real live baseball talent.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by berryluther View Post

The entire staff is beyond belief. You don't send a player down during a slump, you put him in positions to break out of it. You don't send a player down who commits a error, you work with him. His feet work, his throwing arm whatever. Even if you have to have him and another player cover bases and work on throws etc.

Don't make an example out of people cause you don't know what else to do. You make really acriminous and unrepentant calls that way. You want to shake up the pot, try trading for more talent..signing better players..do what it takes. Scout more, pick up players like Claudio Vargas, and watch them turn out rather good. You don't go for players like Loshe because you think "Well his scouting report says million dollar arm? Why can't he pitch to a 3.33 era?? Oh ten cent head?? Well I didnt read that far."
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodave View Post
    You don't send a player down during a slump, you put him in positions to break out of it. You don't send a player down who commits a error, you work with him. His feet work, his throwing arm whatever. Even if you have to have him and another player cover bases and work on throws etc.
    I don't see why you should avoid sending a player down if he's underperforming for a long stretch of time. You can't put your team at a disadvantage just because a guy's feelings might get hurt in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodave View Post
    The entire staff is beyond belief. You don't send a player down during a slump, you put him in positions to break out of it. You don't send a player down who commits a error, you work with him. His feet work, his throwing arm whatever. Even if you have to have him and another player cover bases and work on throws etc.
    I can't understand this thinking at all. I can agree if you are talking about established major league players with track records, but not young players who are going through prolonged bouts of struggling. The major league level is not where you "work with" young players who have not established themselves yet. That's what the minor league system is in place for. In EE's case, it was not a matter of one error, but a multitude of errors coupled with the fact he was not helping the team at the plate whatsoever.

Are you really suggesting that the Reds continue sending Coffey out there to get shelled every outing? That helps neither himself nor the team. Send him to Louisville where he can work on his game without the pressures of the majors.

Turn Off Ads?