Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Braves Cut (former all-star) Mark Redman

Re: Braves Cut (former all-star) Mark Redman

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I can't understand this thinking at all. I can agree if you are talking about established major league players with track records, but not young players who are going through prolonged bouts of struggling. The major league level is not where you "work with" young players who have not established themselves yet. That's what the minor league system is in place for. In EE's case, it was not a matter of one error, but a multitude of errors coupled with the fact he was not helping the team at the plate whatsoever.

Are you really suggesting that the Reds continue sending Coffey out there to get shelled every outing? That helps neither himself nor the team. Send him to Louisville where he can work on his game without the pressures of the majors.
    I wasn't saying anyones name in particular. The truth of the fact matter is this and it's something I've pegged about in countless posts on this site. Which direction is this team heading? We don't know. I didnt name anyone and you guys have brought up Coffey and Edwin. So if Coffey and Edwin should get sent down and by all means they should...Why not designate Stanton? He will not get any better and will continue to get shelled, which is neither good for him or the team.

My statements were broad because I was avoiding the confrontation of having to name people and places and events. As far as this goes..

I don't see why you should avoid sending a player down if he's underperforming for a long stretch of time. You can't put your team at a disadvantage just because a guy's feelings might get hurt in the process.
    Feelings aren't my concern. If you have a second year player on your team who should still be batting fifth or sixth and you have him at four. Depend on him for run producing and what not. Unless that player is a Griffey, Hamilton or a top-superstar prospect I don't expect them to take to that change lately. Look at Edwin, getting challenged and he stumbles only to get himself into a hole. He goes down in the line up and gets pitches he can hit..He gets moved back up and stumbles again this time for good.

To avoid sending him down and letting him get back on his feet, this team should have for the umpteenth time gotten right-handed power and let Edwin mature still.

Isn't this the managers and general managers job to find these players that will smooth transitions in for younger players? Instead of finding stop-gaps and praying that our younger guys can just enter the line up and hit for what its worth. Thats what I'm getting at without having to write a essay as a response.

We have two trains of thought when it comes to players both young and old. Simply put if a player does not meet expectations things must be done, whether he is a vet or a young player. The younger one gets sent down to work on it, while the older counterpart will still get shelled.

Thats why I say the staff is in a mess.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodave View Post
    I wasn't saying anyones name in particular. The truth of the fact matter is this and it's something I've pegged about in countless posts on this site. Which direction is this team heading? We don't know. I didnt name anyone and you guys have brought up Coffey and Edwin. So if Coffey and Edwin should get sent down and by all means they should...Why not designate Stanton? He will not get any better and will continue to get shelled, which is neither good for him or the team.
    I mentioned those players because they are two that have been sent down to work on their game. The difference with Stanton is that he is an established veteran with a track record. You know what he is capable of doing, even though he is struggling now. I mentioned this in another thread, but early last season Reds fans were yelling for Weathers to be DFAed after a poor start. He ended up having a good second half and is probably our most reliable reliever. Not saying the same with happen with Stanton, but he did have a good second half last season. Saying he will not get any better is just an opinion, his track record says he could.

The situations with EE and Coffey are just entirely different than with Stanton whether we like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    The situations with EE and Coffey are just entirely different than with Stanton whether we like it or not.
    And my point is they shouldnt be. Its not hard to figure out "Hey this guy is giving away runs.." and that he should a) be DLed b)sat for awhile or c)DFA. Theres no middle ground with a 40 year old pitcher not named Johnson or Clemens. Stanton was and will be what he is, a medicore stop gap hopefully till Bray gets back.

We can nit pick all we want but we (all of us) see the problems of the team aren't specificly EE or Coffey but a list. I'm glad we can agree on that. I'm also glad I can freely express this is one of the my reasons for contempt against the current FO, the unwillingness to pull the plug on Stanton. He was horrible in RFK for freaksake last season, and it wasn't till he went to the Giants that he did any good.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodave View Post
    And my point is they shouldnt be. Its not hard to figure out "Hey this guy is giving away runs.." and that he should a) be DLed b)sat for awhile or c)DFA. Theres no middle ground with a 40 year old pitcher not named Johnson or Clemens. Stanton was and will be what he is, a medicore stop gap hopefully till Bray gets back.
    Well, I've already used Weathers as an example as to why this isn't going to happen anytime soon so I'll just leave it at that. Pretty much the entire bullpen is giving up lots of runs, except Weathers, so replacing Stanton at this point would do little. I understand fans frustrations with him and I'm with you on that. I think with his track record though and with this team going nowhere at the time, I'd give him another month or so to work on his game in mop-up like situations to see if he works it out. Especially considering the fact they would have to eat his contract.

Plus, you cannot DL someone not injured. You'd just be asking for trouble by trying.

Talkin' Baseball

The Braves don't have a 5th starter, maybe they'd like Milton? I know, that's dreaming. But Lohse and Dunn might peak their interest.

Turn Off Ads?