Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Rainiest U.S. City

  1. #1
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26,508

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,652

    Re: Rainiest U.S. City

    This can't be...what about all those Seattle rain jokes?
    Go Gators!

  4. #3
    Puffy 3:16 Puffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Panama City Beach
    Posts
    13,771

    Re: Rainiest U.S. City

    The thread is bull - the reason the southern cities are on there is because when it rains it comes down wicked hard.

    But cities like Seattle and Syracuse see much more rainfall over the course of a year. Not to mention the snowfall isn't included.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

  5. #4
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,256

    Re: Rainiest U.S. City

    Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    The thread is bull - the reason the southern cities are on there is because when it rains it comes down wicked hard.

    But cities like Seattle and Syracuse see much more rainfall over the course of a year. Not to mention the snowfall isn't included.
    And of course there's a difference between a rainy day that consists of all all-day overcast "misty" rain and a heavy cloud burst that dumps a bunch of rain and moves on for sunny skies. Both would be considered a rainy day and the latter would probably have more rain, even though the latter also had a significant amount of sun that same day.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  6. #5
    Member SandyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Kenner , LA
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Rainiest U.S. City

    We average between 4-6 inches of rain a month, every month of the year except October. It's just under 3. But we rarely have an all day rain.

    Even our non-hurricane flood events tend to come in deluges that occur pretty much all at once. In sheets rather than drops, seemingly.

    We almost never have that all-day overcast "misty" rain.

    I don't own a raincoat. I keep an umbrella in my car, but I rarely use it. If it's raining too hard to run to my car, I just wait it out. It generally stops or slack off enough in a few minutes.

  7. #6
    You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,577

    Re: Rainiest U.S. City

    I thought it rained most wherever Charlie Brown went.
    Witty signature.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    290

    Re: Rainiest U.S. City

    I lived in Mobile for a few years and it rains single day during the summer. You can almost set your watch by it. 4:00 PM everyday. Then it starts to heat up and never cools off. When people say it feels like a suana, they mean it. I had people visit from all over the South and everyone of them says it's the most miserable heat they ever experienced. When someone from Miami turns to you and says, "Man it's hot here," you know you've got something.
    My parents still live there and my mom has a beautiful, lush garden, but I don't know how they tolerate those summers. As soon as you walk outside, you sweat through your shirt and, with all the humidity, it never wicks away.

    BTW, for you folks that like global warming news, I believe the Northwest is actually in the midst of some of the hottest dryest weather on record for the area.

  9. #8
    Member 15fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    5,504

    Re: Rainiest U.S. City

    Sure as heck isn't Atlanta.

    It has rained 1 time at my house in the past 7 weeks. We've had 1/2 the rainfall in 2007 that we usually have.

    State Climatologist was in the paper yesterday. Said it's so dry here, that the summer is going to feel more like Phoenix (100 and dry) than the usual 90 + high humidity. There just isn't anything left to evaporate & turn into late afternoon showers.

    Basically, we need the remnants of a tropical storm or two to come through & break the current cycle.

  10. #9
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,653

    Re: Rainiest U.S. City

    BTW, for you folks that like global warming news, I believe the Northwest is actually in the midst of some of the hottest dryest weather on record for the area.
    Not really, it's pretty darn lush and cool up here right now.

  11. #10
    Puffy 3:16 Puffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Panama City Beach
    Posts
    13,771

    Re: Rainiest U.S. City

    Quote Originally Posted by SandyD View Post
    We average between 4-6 inches of rain a month, every month of the year except October. It's just under 3. But we rarely have an all day rain.

    Even our non-hurricane flood events tend to come in deluges that occur pretty much all at once. In sheets rather than drops, seemingly.

    We almost never have that all-day overcast "misty" rain.

    I don't own a raincoat. I keep an umbrella in my car, but I rarely use it. If it's raining too hard to run to my car, I just wait it out. It generally stops or slack off enough in a few minutes.
    Yup - I've lived in New Orleans and I've lived in Syracuse. Who gets more "water" I don't know, but Syracuse gets more rainy days than you can ever imagine. We would go weeks without seeing the sun.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

  12. #11
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    13,447

    Re: Rainiest U.S. City

    Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    I don't know, but Syracuse gets more rainy days than you can ever imagine. We would go weeks without seeing the sun.
    Lake-effect rain? I certainly had my fill of lake-effect snow during the 9 months I spent in Syracuse.

    Speaking of Syracuse, Puffy and anyone else who used to live there may enjoy this site. I enjoyed reading about the old days in the 'cuse, even though my stay in Onondaga County was short.
    /r/reds

  13. #12
    Puffy 3:16 Puffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Panama City Beach
    Posts
    13,771

    Re: Rainiest U.S. City

    Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Lake-effect rain? I certainly had my fill of lake-effect snow during the 9 months I spent in Syracuse.

    Speaking of Syracuse, Puffy and anyone else who used to live there may enjoy this site. I enjoyed reading about the old days in the 'cuse, even though my stay in Onondaga County was short.
    To a point yes - its the clouds that form over the great lakes and then pass over Syracuse.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25