Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Rainiest U.S. City

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rainiest U.S. City

This can't be...what about all those Seattle rain jokes?
    Go Gators!

The thread is bull - the reason the southern cities are on there is because when it rains it comes down wicked hard.

But cities like Seattle and Syracuse see much more rainfall over the course of a year. Not to mention the snowfall isn't included.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    The thread is bull - the reason the southern cities are on there is because when it rains it comes down wicked hard.

But cities like Seattle and Syracuse see much more rainfall over the course of a year. Not to mention the snowfall isn't included.
    And of course there's a difference between a rainy day that consists of all all-day overcast "misty" rain and a heavy cloud burst that dumps a bunch of rain and moves on for sunny skies. Both would be considered a rainy day and the latter would probably have more rain, even though the latter also had a significant amount of sun that same day.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

We average between 4-6 inches of rain a month, every month of the year except October. It's just under 3. But we rarely have an all day rain.

Even our non-hurricane flood events tend to come in deluges that occur pretty much all at once. In sheets rather than drops, seemingly.

We almost never have that all-day overcast "misty" rain.

I don't own a raincoat. I keep an umbrella in my car, but I rarely use it. If it's raining too hard to run to my car, I just wait it out. It generally stops or slack off enough in a few minutes.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

I thought it rained most wherever Charlie Brown went.
    Witty signature.

I lived in Mobile for a few years and it rains single day during the summer. You can almost set your watch by it. 4:00 PM everyday. Then it starts to heat up and never cools off. When people say it feels like a suana, they mean it. I had people visit from all over the South and everyone of them says it's the most miserable heat they ever experienced. When someone from Miami turns to you and says, "Man it's hot here," you know you've got something.
    My parents still live there and my mom has a beautiful, lush garden, but I don't know how they tolerate those summers. As soon as you walk outside, you sweat through your shirt and, with all the humidity, it never wicks away.

BTW, for you folks that like global warming news, I believe the Northwest is actually in the midst of some of the hottest dryest weather on record for the area.

Sure as heck isn't Atlanta.

It has rained 1 time at my house in the past 7 weeks. We've had 1/2 the rainfall in 2007 that we usually have.

State Climatologist was in the paper yesterday. Said it's so dry here, that the summer is going to feel more like Phoenix (100 and dry) than the usual 90 + high humidity. There just isn't anything left to evaporate & turn into late afternoon showers.

Basically, we need the remnants of a tropical storm or two to come through & break the current cycle.

BTW, for you folks that like global warming news, I believe the Northwest is actually in the midst of some of the hottest dryest weather on record for the area.
    Not really, it's pretty darn lush and cool up here right now.

Quote Originally Posted by SandyD View Post
    We average between 4-6 inches of rain a month, every month of the year except October. It's just under 3. But we rarely have an all day rain.

Even our non-hurricane flood events tend to come in deluges that occur pretty much all at once. In sheets rather than drops, seemingly.

We almost never have that all-day overcast "misty" rain.

I don't own a raincoat. I keep an umbrella in my car, but I rarely use it. If it's raining too hard to run to my car, I just wait it out. It generally stops or slack off enough in a few minutes.
    Yup - I've lived in New Orleans and I've lived in Syracuse. Who gets more "water" I don't know, but Syracuse gets more rainy days than you can ever imagine. We would go weeks without seeing the sun.
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    I don't know, but Syracuse gets more rainy days than you can ever imagine. We would go weeks without seeing the sun.
    Lake-effect rain? I certainly had my fill of lake-effect snow during the 9 months I spent in Syracuse.

Speaking of Syracuse, Puffy and anyone else who used to live there may enjoy this site. I enjoyed reading about the old days in the 'cuse, even though my stay in Onondaga County was short.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Lake-effect rain? I certainly had my fill of lake-effect snow during the 9 months I spent in Syracuse.

Speaking of Syracuse, Puffy and anyone else who used to live there may enjoy this site. I enjoyed reading about the old days in the 'cuse, even though my stay in Onondaga County was short.
    To a point yes - its the clouds that form over the great lakes and then pass over Syracuse.
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

Turn Off Ads?