Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So is Alex Gonzalez...

Re: So is Alex Gonzalez...

The Reds tried to sell the bag of goods for Eric Milton.

At least Gonzo doesn't give up home runs.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Should we expect to see Gonzo's play level out some over the summer? I can't imagine he'll stay a mediocre SS all year.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    I really don't mean to beat this one to death again...but I have trouble ignoring it. His current OBP is lower than any season in his career and well below league avg. He can't even steal bases right now which was half his purpose to get the team "fired" up.

3-5 last night with a home run and chased down a ball at the warning track without diving. Some of the others should be so tired. I simply feel that the notion that Freel can't play every day is a canard, a myth, a falsehood and until I see evidence of that, I'm not going to believe it. As for his stolen base ability, is he losing speed or is it just that he has lousy technique? But it does look like he's going to get a leash as far as stealing goes.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Canard!

I love that word.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

As our major off-season acquisition and "the best shortstop Terry Francona's ever seen," Gonzalez has been an abject disappointment. In fact, until Gary Majewski gets promoted, Gonzalez makes a fitting stand-in as the personification of this entire franchise.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    As our major off-season acquisition and "the best shortstop Terry Francona's ever seen," Gonzalez has been an abject disappointment.
    When Francona said that more than a few people where I work remarked that Orlando Cabrera seemed to be just as good in the field and Francona saw him. Here's an interesting little set of numbers:

Red Sox DER

2004 - .705
    2005 - .692
    2006 - .683
    2007 - .713
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    As our major off-season acquisition and "the best shortstop Terry Francona's ever seen," Gonzalez has been an abject disappointment. In fact, until Gary Majewski gets promoted, Gonzalez makes a fitting stand-in as the personification of this entire franchise.
    I agree - and all those people who have already stated that this was a great signing, yada yada, what will they be saying when his OBP falls under .300 (its at .302 right now) and his OPS falls south of .725.....
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

I don't get to listen to the games on the radio much. Has Marty apologized for his part in hyping Alex G's defensive game? Because, on the tv broadcasts, Chris Welsh and George Grande have not as of yet made their apologies for same. All I know is, the advance pub on Alex G has been nowhere near the reality when it comes to his glove. Sadly, the advance pub on his bat appears to have been on target.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    I agree - and all those people who have already stated that this was a great signing, yada yada, what will they be saying when his OBP falls under .300 (its at .302 right now) and his OPS falls south of .725.....
    OPS doesn't matter, he's clutch Puffy
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Cyclone, do you think this speaks towards injury? Luck? Turning 30?

I wonder how much being on a team that is falling appart is effecting him psycologically? People usually rise to the level they are surrounded by. He was on a couple of teams that were winning games and going places. Now he's on the Bad News Bears. Wonder if that's some part of the equation?
    Bad luck, possible injury, possible decline in skills due to aging, possible lack of concentration/focus due to his family issues, possible long or short list of some other things. Heck, possibly some combination of all the above in some fashion.

I was never in the camp of Gonzalez being among the best defensive shortstops in the game, and those who were in that camp were probably going to be disappointed regardless. But he was above average to good defensively, and so far in 2007 he hasn't been above average and certainly hasn't been good. We know what his zone rating is in May, and we'll see where it goes during the rest of the season. Myself, I'd like to see him get that zone rating back up in the .860 range, because that's the type of defensive shortstop he was and the type of defensive shortstop the Reds aimed to sign.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

he's been fairly good so far but certainly not as good as all the talk suggested.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Reds fans have engaged in some serious fictionalizing of his abilities.
    It is the TV and Radio crews that have been leading the charade.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    It is the TV and Radio crews that have been leading the charade.
    Lead, first off, by the GM:

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Krivsky
    We knew we improved our pitching when we signed Alex Gonzalez. You're very athletic up the middle with he and Phillips.

I think any winning team, it doesn't matter what the sport is, any team that wins a championship is strong defensively. Baseball is no different. We can't afford to be next-to-last in fielding percentage and give up the unearned runs we gave up last year. That puts too much stress on the pitching staff and we're not really a strikeout-dominating pitching staff. It puts more importance on defense and making the routine plays.
    (Cincy Post 3-31-2007)

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....703310311/1027

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Krivsky
    We'll take the .260 and that Gold Glove-caliber defense and be happy with that.
    ESPN.com 11-20-2006

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2669701
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 05-24-2007 at 01:43 PM.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    When Francona said that more than a few people where I work remarked that Orlando Cabrera seemed to be just as good in the field and Francona saw him. Here's an interesting little set of numbers:

Red Sox DER

2004 - .705
    2005 - .692
    2006 - .683
    2007 - .713
    Yes, but their OF defense was horrendous last season, and Loretta has no range at 2B. Gonzalez himself had a terrific defensive season last year, although Cabrera is very good himself, and, BTW, Lugo is good, too. Cabrera's and Lugo's contracts are significantly more expensive. Gonzalez is probably just in something of a fielding slump, and while he's no Adam Everett, he should play better than he has.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Yes, but their OF defense was horrendous last season, and Loretta has no range at 2B. Gonzalez himself had a terrific defensive season last year, although Cabrera is very good himself, and, BTW, Lugo is good, too. Cabrera's and Lugo's contracts are significantly more expensive. Gonzalez is probably just in something of a fielding slump, and while he's no Adam Everett, he should play better than he has.
    I agree with that. My main concern with Gonzalez is for next year and beyond. When his glove goes, you don't want to have to carry him.

Lugo's been far better than I've ever seen from him in the field in previous seasons. He's really cranked it up a notch or three.
    Last edited by M2; 05-24-2007 at 02:58 PM.

Turn Off Ads?