Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: So is Alex Gonzalez...

Re: So is Alex Gonzalez...

Gonzalez is a competent SS defensively. He's not great by any means. The Reds really only needed competent to get a huge defensive boost and I think he's provided that in comparison to the last few years.

If people were expecting him to live-up to the legacy of McMillan, Cardenas, Concepcion and Larkin, then the expectations were not realistic. Most teams get by with guys like Gonzalez at SS but do so by having plus offense at the corners. EdE's start and the poor offense from his replacements coupled with the pure blandness of the 1B platoon says the Reds can't carry that right now. Luckily, Gonzalez power surge has been a big reason the offense is still middle of the pack right now. I'm betting it won't last. But the answer won't be to replace Gonzalez. It will be to upgrade the offense at the corners. Fortunately, I think the Reds can do so from within by showing patience with EdE and promoting Votto.

I'd turn all attention to the mound where, IMO, it belongs.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Gonzalez is a competent SS defensively. He's not great by any means. The Reds really only needed competent to get a huge defensive boost and I think he's provided that in comparison to the last few years.

If people were expecting him to live-up to the legacy of McMillan, Cardenas, Concepcion and Larkin, then the expectations were not realistic. Most teams get by with guys like Gonzalez at SS but do so by having plus offense at the corners. EdE's start and the poor offense from his replacements coupled with the pure blandness of the 1B platoon says the Reds can't carry that right now. Luckily, Gonzalez power surge has been a big reason the offense is still middle of the pack right now. I'm betting it won't last. But the answer won't be to replace Gonzalez. It will be to upgrade the offense at the corners. Fortunately, I think the Reds can do so from within by showing patience with EdE and promoting Votto.

I'd turn all attention to the mound where, IMO, it belongs.
    Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    I agree - and all those people who have already stated that this was a great signing, yada yada, what will they be saying when his OBP falls under .300 (its at .302 right now) and his OPS falls south of .725.....
    Coming in, we all knew/expected him to be a blackhole in the 8 spot in the order. What we've gotten this far has been gravy.

As for his defense, while not excusing it, I do think, as someone earlier pointed out, that his kid being seriously ill has probably played a part. He is human....

Turn Off Ads?