Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hancock's father sues restaurant

Re: Hancock'c father sues restaurant

Hell, while they're at it why not sue:

The Department of Public works for road conditions that OBVIOUSLY contributed to the crash,

Every company that had a billboard up between the bar and the crash site for distracting him,

The dealer who sold him the dope,

Alexander Graham Bell's estate for inventing the telephone,

The manufacturer of his car,

The manufacturer of his tires,

The manufacturer of his brake pads,

and the state of Utah for casting the deciding vote that repealed Prohibition?
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go View Post
    Hell, while they're at it why not sue:

The Department of Public works for road conditions that OBVIOUSLY contributed to the crash,

Every company that had a billboard up between the bar and the crash site for distracting him,

The dealer who sold him the dope,

Alexander Graham Bell's estate for inventing the telephone,

The manufacturer of his car,

The manufacturer of his tires,

The manufacturer of his brake pads,

and the state of Utah for casting the deciding vote that repealed Prohibition?

Budweiser for making the beer.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

My wifes stepmom sued a bar for allowing a couple drunks to leave and later hit her car (killing her son, and severely injuring her and her daughter)... that said, I hate seeing instances like this, and don't believe in it.

However, law enforcement hanging outside of a bar and pulling over everyone over very little things shouldn't be looked down upon IMO... the bar owners should not be able to be sued but in return there should be some heavy security on who is drinking and driving from there. Just my opinion of course

Drunk, speeding, on a cell phone, no seat belt, pot.

Definitely someone else's fault.
    Last edited by Redsland; 05-25-2007 at 10:43 AM.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Re: Hancock's father sues restaurant

Ridiculous lawsuit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

Just because someone is suing does not mean anything will become of it. You have a lawyer who is taking a chance at a settlement. A "roll of the dice." It cost very little to file a law suit. It is the system that is flawed.

In some states, if your file a suit that is without merit, and it is tossed out of court, you have to pay the defendant's court cost. This should be the law in all 50 states.

It's horrible that the Hancock family is trying to profit from Josh's stupidy. They were all being "taken care of" by Josh I'd say, and they are missing the checks!
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    In some states, if your file a suit that is without merit, and it is tossed out of court, you have to pay the defendant's court cost. This should be the law in all 50 states.
    I'm pretty sure that judges have this discretion in every state (to award court costs to prevailing parties upon summary judgment or dismissal). If not, it's an overwhelming majority. However, court costs are sometime a drop in the bucket compared to attorneys' fees. You're not going to recover attorneys fees unless you bring a separate suit (either Rule 11 or abuse-of-process type claims) after prevailing in the instant suit. The restaurant could never prevail in this type of claim, as "dram shop" laws are a fact of life for them. The tow-truck guy and broken-down motorist might have a better shot, but it's still an extreme longshot.

To clarify: court costs include the cost of filing a case, court stenographers, fees to get papers served, pay for jurors, things of that nature. Not attorney fees
    Last edited by cincinnati chili; 05-26-2007 at 11:36 PM. Reason: explain court costs
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I'm pretty sure that judges have this discretion in every state (to award court costs to prevailing parties upon summary judgment or dismissal). If not, it's an overwhelming majority. However, court costs are sometime a drop in the bucket compared to attorneys' fees.
    Yep.

Apples and oranges, I know, but I'm suing a guy right now in D.C. Superior Court and it cost me all of $10 to do it.

A drop in the bucket compared to the $1,200 in repairs I had done to my car after he hit it and sped away.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Update:

Family of Cardinals Pitcher Hancock Drops Wrongful-death Lawsuit
    Jul 30, 2:35 PM (ET) Email this Story

By CHERYL WITTENAUER
    ST. LOUIS (AP) -The family of late Cardinals pitcher Josh Hancock dropped a wrongful-death lawsuit against Mike Shannon's restaurant stemming from the player's death in April.

The family's lawyer, Mark Bronson, said he filed a motion to dismiss the lawsuit before a procedural hearing Monday in St. Louis Circuit Court. The lawsuit had alleged that others shared responsibility for Hancock's death.

He referred questions to Hancock lawyer Keith Kantack in Tupelo, Miss. Kantack did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

Hancock, a 29-year-old relief pitcher, died after a St. Louis Cardinals home game in April when he crashed his sport utility vehicle into the back of a tow truck stopped on U.S. 40 in St. Louis. The lawsuit was filed a month later by Hancock's father, Dean Hancock.

The motion effectively ends the legal battle, although the lawsuit could be refiled.

The lawsuit alleged that others shared responsibility for Josh Hancock's death, including Mike Shannon's restaurant, where the player drank earlier in the night; restaurant manager Pat Shannon Van Matre; the tow truck driver; the tow truck company; and the driver of a disabled car on the highway whom the tow truck driver had stopped to help.

"That's the end of it," said Don Wolff, lawyer for the Shannon family. "This case never had any merit. It was totally and completely without merit."

Judy Shannon, wife of Cardinals broadcaster and former player Mike Shannon, who owns Shannon's restaurant, died Saturday after a battle with brain cancer.

Turn Off Ads?