Turn Off Ads?

Thread: UC football

UC football

With our Reds playing the way they are I was thinking of what I have to look forward to sports wise. I, unlike most people in Cincinnati am a HUGE and I mean HUGE UC football fan. I follow them religiously. I really think they have a good solid team this year and with a little luck could contend for the Big East title. That's unlikely but if a few things go they're way it's possible. First things first though, they have to find a quarterback that fits well into Brian Kelly's system. Wake Forest QB transfer Ben Mauk is the perfect QB for Kelley if he was 100% but after multiple shoulder surgeries I don't know how good his arm is. Grutza struggled in Don Treadwell's offence but I think he could be ok with Kelly's offence because the spread calls for alot of short intermediate passes, something I think Grutza could handle. The spread also allows the QB to run alot, that's probably Grutza's number one strength. If Kelly doesn't like what he see's out of Mauk or Grutza he might opt to go with True freshman Chazz Anderson, he is fast and has a rocket arm I hear. The defence should be very good, Terril Byrd was All-Big East as a sophmore and Trevor Anderson is an explosive defensive end. The secondary also looks very good with Mike Mickens and D'Angelo Smith at corner. If Kelley can somehow get the UC offence to be above average UC could be very good because this defence can win games by it self. If UC gets off to a good start and are at least 4-2 when Louisville visits Nippert Stadium that will be the biggest game in UC football history.

Here's a look at the schedule and how I see everything playing out:

( Click on an event for complete event information )

Date Opponent / Event Location Time / Result

Thu., Aug. 30 vs. Southeast Missouri State Win
    Thu., Sep. 6 vs. Oregon State Win
    Sat., Sep. 15 at Miami (Ohio) Win
    Sat., Sep. 22 vs. Marshall Win
    Sat., Sep. 29 at San Diego State Win
    Sat., Oct. 6 at Rutgers Loss
    Sat., Oct. 13 vs. Louisville Win
    Sat., Oct. 20 at Pittsburgh Loss
    Sat., Nov. 3 at USF Win
    Sat., Nov. 10 vs. Connecticut Win
    Sat., Nov. 17 vs. West Virginia Loss
    Sat., Nov. 24 at Syracuse Win

9-3 would be pretty good and get UC into a mid-level bowl game, probably the Texas Bowl.

If their are any UC football fans or juts college football fans who know anything about UC I'd love to hear your thoughts.
    Last edited by BearcatShane; 05-25-2007 at 01:19 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: UC football

Over the past two years, I've really been getting into UC football. I went to four games last year, and the Rutgers game was one of the best moments of my life.

On defense, I think Dantonio and co. was what made the Bearcats so good, and with the new staff, I expect the defense to take a step back. However, Dantonio was overly-conservative on offense, so I expect to see a few more points on both sides of the board.

I'm very excited to see what the team does with its new players and playbook. To be honest, I would be a little surprised to see the team do any better than 7-5, but it's definitely not out of the picture. This is mainly because I'm expecting some controversial, erratic decisions from Brian Kelly. Then again, if Ben Mauk starts and exceeds the hype, maybe I could be very surprised.

Re: UC football

I'm really glad to see UC football starting to get some interest. Last year was a successful season against an absolutely brutal schedule. This year's schedule looks to be a little more sane. I'm a little worried about going into San Diego St. just because I'm not sure how the team will respond traveling cross country. I feel pretty good about Oregon State even though Beaver fans are already writing it off as a victory.

As for the Big East, I think the conference will be stronger overall this year than last year. The top three are still WVU, Louisville and Rutgers. South Florida and UC are next in line. The good news is, WVU and Louisville travel to Nippert this year and depending on how well the defense can hold up, they might pull out another marquee win in Clifton.

I think UC was about as underrated as they come last year. That team's core was comprised of sophomores that have started for two seasons. The loss of Celek and McCullough hurt, but the new offense doesn't use the tight end and there's plenty of talent at LB to replace McCullough. So depending on how the quarterback position shakes out. Is Mauk going to be healthy? Can Grutza be a big time college QB? The freshmen Colleros and Anderson will likely get a look too. Kelly has shown he's not afraid to throw a true freshman in there as quarterback. Special teams is also a big question mark. Kicker, punter and long snapper must all be replaced for 2007.

So how does it all add up? I think overall UC is a better team than they were last year. I'm not sure if it is going to translate into a better record though. Here are my predictions:

Thu., Aug. 30 vs. Southeast Missouri State Win
    Thu., Sep. 6 vs. Oregon State Win
    Sat., Sep. 15 at Miami (Ohio) Win
    Sat., Sep. 22 vs. Marshall Win
    Sat., Sep. 29 at San Diego State Loss
    Sat., Oct. 6 at Rutgers Loss
    Sat., Oct. 13 vs. Louisville Win
    Sat., Oct. 20 at Pittsburgh Win
    Sat., Nov. 3 at USF Loss
    Sat., Nov. 10 vs. Connecticut Win
    Sat., Nov. 17 vs. West Virginia Loss
    Sat., Nov. 24 at Syracuse Win

That works out to 8-4 (3-3). I think worst case, this team only wins 6. Best case, they win 9....maybe even 10.

Regardless, things are looking up for UC football and momentum is beginning to build. It was enough for me to go and pick up a pair of season tickets for 2007. Go Cats!
    Last edited by paintmered; 05-25-2007 at 10:01 AM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?