Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vacation reports

Vacation reports

With vacation season in progress, I thought I'd share my first one of the year with you.

For the past 8 years, I've gone to Vegas with some friends. In order to break up the monotony of gambling, we try to do something a little different each time. In the past we've taken day trips to the Hoover Dam and even flew out to California once to see a talk show taping. After each of those trips, we said we really need to get out to see the Grand Canyon. Well, this time we finally made the trip.

After we landed in Vegas, we got our rental car and drove to view the new Skywalk at the West entrance. According to the website, it should have only been a 2.5 hour trip, but it ended up taking about 3.5 - 4 each way. Some of the extra time was due to it being on Memorial Day, but most of the delay was due to the fact that 14 miles of the road to get there isn't paved yet. You could only drive 20 - 25 mph in this section...at least in an Audi It was EXTREMELY bumpy. The good news, is that they will begin paving this soon. We wanted to drive on our own, but of course there are bus, Hummer or ever helicopter rides out there. In the future, there will be an airport nearby.

Anyway, when we finally made it up there, it certainly was worth it. They made us put on little booty things so we wouldn't scratch or dirty the glass. Immediate thoughts are if my shoes can hurt this thing, should I really be standing on it

We were a little freaked out at first, but luckily they have the outer portion of the glass floor so that you can't see through it. This way, you have the option of just walking out there without actually looking directly underneath you if you don't want to. After about the first 10 steps, I finally went to the part that you could see through. WOW!! It really is something. I don't know all the specs of the glass, but it certainly doesn't appear to be able to support all the weight they claim it can It looks like it's only 4" - 6" thick.

Anyway, it was really funny watching everyone walk so carefully across the floor. Basically baby steps were the name of the game One lady was actually crying as her family "carried" her across. One thing that struck me as odd, was the fact that a baby stroller was allowed on the Skywalk. I realize the wheels are rubber, but strange nonetheless.

From what I hear, the views are much better at the main Grand Canyon entrance, but if you've never been there before, these certainly won't disappoint. Unfortunately, you can't take camera's on the Skywalk itself, but they will of course take your picture and sell it to you, which we did.

All in all, if you're looking for a day trip away from Vegas, I'd recommend it. You need to pass over the Hoover Dam to get there, so if you've never done that either, you better get a very early headstart.

As for Vegas itself, what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Vacation reports

We're doing the Grand Canyon this summer. We're taking the train from Williams and then spending the night at one of the lodges near the rim, and taking the train back to Williams the next day.

This is all part of a major SW swing. We are flying into El Paso, driving to Tombstone, on to Phoenix, Kingman, Vegas, Grand Canyon, Sedona, Painted Desert, Petrified Forest, Santa Fe, Pie Town (don't ask), Las Cruces, Juarez, and fly out of El Paso.

Pending test results.

But I think we might go no matter what the results. What's a couple more weeks...
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

We plan on going back to our ritual of Gatlinburg, Tn. this year. We haven't been since 2004 and it's nearly driving the three of us crazy (we would normally go about 3 times per year). On the way down my daughter wants to spend the first day in Lexington, Ky. visting the Kentucky Horse Park, so anybody willing to share some info on this would be greatly appreciated.

My daughter's trainer is trying to sway her toward riding Dressage and he owns a National Show Horse (Arabian/American Saddlebred cross) and this has drawn my daughter's interest into going to the American Saddlebred museum also.

Later on this year my Guard unit has a 60 day deployment to Guam and I'm pondering taking the whole 60 days. Last time I was ther I had a blast. A beautiful place rich with WWII history and some of the best snorkeling and SCUBA excursions a person could go on. While technically not a vacation, it's still a fun trip.

driving to Tombstone
    Creek, I'm so envious of you over this. This one place I've always wanted to go.
    Last edited by dman; 06-01-2007 at 09:45 PM.

What's a vacation?

We might try taking the boys to Hershey, PA or that Sesame Place after the OH bar exam. Anyone been to either of those.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    We plan on going back to our ritual of Gatlinburg, Tn. this year. We haven't been since 2004 and it's nearly driving the three of us crazy (we would normally go about 3 times per year).
    Same here. We rent a cabin down there. We use to go a lot; but haven't been down there in 5 years. Looking forward to it very much.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Same here. We rent a cabin down there. We use to go a lot; but haven't been down there in 5 years. Looking forward to it very much.

We're looking seriously at purchasing some property over near the outskirts of Maryville. We gave thought to the Townsend area but it is looking like that ship sailed a long time ago for us as Townsend is now starting to grow with tourism as much as Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, and we likely couldn't afford this area now.

We're looking seriously at purchasing some property over near the outskirts of Maryville. We gave thought to the Townsend area but it is looking like that ship sailed a long time ago for us as Townsend is now starting to grow with tourism as much as Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, and we likely couldn't afford this area now.
    We use to love the Townsend "quiet" side; but you're right - it has been expanding. There aren't many regions around those mountains left to expand.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Two trips to the PNW for me. I can't wait.

Portland in July and Seattle in Sept/Oct.

Maybe I'll just stay out there.

We plan on going back to our ritual of Gatlinburg, Tn. this year. We haven't been since 2004 and it's nearly driving the three of us crazy (we would normally go about 3 times per year). On the way down my daughter wants to spend the first day in Lexington, Ky. visting the Kentucky Horse Park, so anybody willing to share some info on this would be greatly appreciated.
    I went to the Horse park last year and it is outstanding. The museum is terrific but the highlight is Cigar and 32 year old John Henry. Well worth a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    What's a vacation?

We might try taking the boys to Hershey, PA or that Sesame Place after the OH bar exam. Anyone been to either of those.
    Hershey, PA is great. Hershey Park is a fantastic amusement park. The crowds are nice, the rides range from little kids to big kids, lots of coasters. We have a bunch of amusement parks within 2 hours of here, and I think it's the best. Chocolate World is also good. It's a museum/tour/store of Hershey and chocolate.

While in Hershey, I'd also check out the Amish part of the state near Lancaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Hershey, PA is great. Hershey Park is a fantastic amusement park. The crowds are nice, the rides range from little kids to big kids, lots of coasters. We have a bunch of amusement parks within 2 hours of here, and I think it's the best. Chocolate World is also good. It's a museum/tour/store of Hershey and chocolate.

While in Hershey, I'd also check out the Amish part of the state near Lancaster.

Its been many years since we've been to Hershey, Pa. It is quite a unique city. And the tour is fantastic. nd then they "conveniently" exit you right down into their humungous candy gift shop. I never laughed so hard watching people cart out various boxes of their favorite bulk chocolates.

When I'm in that area though, I always go to Gettsburg too.

We did Hershey and Gettysburg over spring break. The amusement park wasn't open, but we went to the *humungous candy gift shop*. They have several hands-on exhibts there, as well as a tour of how they make the chocolate and a 3D chocolate related movie. We also did the trolley tour of Hershey. Very interesting. They take you out to the school Milton Hershey started for boys (and you get samples all along the ride ).

At Gettysburg we first went to the gift shop and bought a self guided driving tour CD. What a great investment. You then can tour the entire battlefield at your leisure, listening to the history of the battles as you drive along. There are several predetermined stops you can make to view the major battle areas. It was so interesting that creek jr requested we listen to the Cd again as we drove down to DC. We have listened to it again a couple more times since we got back home. They have several different ones for sale, we purchased the one produced by the History Channel.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14 View Post
    At Gettysburg we first went to the gift shop and bought a self guided driving tour CD. What a great investment. You then can tour the entire battlefield at your leisure, listening to the history of the battles as you drive along. There are several predetermined stops you can make to view the major battle areas.
    That is what we did too. That's the best way to do it.

I've spent the morning working on this Great Southwestern United States vacation we're taking in July (yeah, the SW in July ). The air and train reservations were made months ago, but now I am working on hotels along the way. Man, Priceline is your friend. I booked hotels (just as a fallback) and then went on Priceline and rebooked. So far I've saved over $500!

Then I decided to give the Gathering Weekend a shot. I had a room reserved at the Hilton - 2 nights - over $350. I put $75 in at Priceline (should've went lower) and it was accepted - at the Hilton. So I'm staying at the same place and saving $200!!

Ain't life grand!!

RiC - where did you stay in Vegas? I've stayed at Treasure Island, Luxor, Mirage, and MGM in the past. This time PL put us at the Westin. It's a couple blocks off the strip (on Flamingo), but with all the free parking, cheap valet parking, and monorail along the Strip, it works for me (especially at the price I got for it!).

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    Two trips to the PNW for me. I can't wait.

Portland in July and Seattle in Sept/Oct.

Maybe I'll just stay out there.
    If you have the time let me and Pedro (and Doc Scott) take ya to dinner.

BTW I vacation usually in the fall, no idea where I'm going... though we're shooting for Europe next spring.

Turn Off Ads?