Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Nice article from the Cincy Post on Reds prospects

Nice article from the Cincy Post on Reds prospects

Patience, anyone? Reds tout prospects
    Column by The Post's Lonnie Wheeler

The Reds, bless their hearts, aren't thinking about the future yet. And really, as long as they can reach second place without getting to .500, they oughtn't. But there's nothing stopping the rest of us.

So Friday, when the Pirates came to town to slap on the latest low-level whuppin', I figured that you guys were tired of reading about what's wrong with the local nine and sought out Grant "Good News" Griesser, who doesn't actually have a nickname (that I know of) but is in a position to say a lot of nice things about players in the Cincinnati organization. Griesser is the assistant director of Player Development, and he had just returned from Louisville, where he saw Joey Votto extend his hitting streak to 16 games, during which time the dark-haired first baseman is batting .470.

"It's ridiculous what he's done in May," said Griesser, whose boss, Terry Reynolds, is putting in a five-day stint (the Development dudes typically stay five days in order to see every starting pitcher) with Chattanooga. "He got some contact lenses, and he started wearing them right around the time he started going on this tear.

"He's a great hitter. Joey's never going to be a Gold Glove guy, but he can swing the bat and he works as hard as anybody in the system."

Feel a little better? Here's another one.

"With Sarasota," said Griesser, obviously embarking on one of his favorite subjects, "you've got to start with Jay Bruce. He's been fantastic. He's doing everything right. He has had no problems stepping into the Florida State League. He leads the league in hitting by 20 points. He's nearly got Triple Crown numbers right now, and he's doing a great job defensively in the outfield. He's got a lot of passion for the game. You root for a guy like that because he doesn't have the ego you sometimes see in a first-round draft choice (2005).

"A lot of guys say Bruce reminds them of Larry Walker. You hate to put a can't-miss label on guys, but certainly, when you watch him play, it's hard to not see him playing in the big leagues and doing well. He struggled early last year against left-handed pitching, but then he got way better, and this year he's improved even more against left-handers. His progression to Double-A will be in '07. He's a guy who (at age 20) is dictating when he needs to move. I can see Jay Bruce hitting in Double-A as easily as he hits in A. He's that kind of player."

OK, Bruce and Votto are obvious. You know they're good. Homer Bailey is so obvious that we didn't even talk about him. The only question involving Bailey was, who's the second- hardest thrower in the Reds' system?

Griesser had to study on that one for a minute, ultimately settling for a few candidates too close to call. Phil Dumatrait, perhaps the readiest pitcher on the farm, is not among them. But there's Calvin Medlock, a short right-handed reliever at Chattanooga. Johnny Cueto, a short right-handed starter at Sarasota. And 24-year-old Josh Roenicke, the Sarasota closer - leading the league in saves (14 for 14) - and son of former major-leaguer Gary Roenicke.

Roenicke played the outfield, and also football, at UCLA, pitching just a bit, and was drafted last year on something somebody saw. It might have been the 95-mile-an-hour fastball. "Big-time power arms like that don't grow on trees," Griesser observed. "He's intriguing because you don't have a lot of those guys. He's just been fantastic. He's one of the big reasons that Sarasota (32-14) has the best record in the country."

Two of the starters whom Roenicke had been saving, Richie Gardner and Carlos Fisher, have already been promoted to Chattanooga because they were (1) doing really well and (2) 24 years old. Gardner, in particular, has "a lot of people very excited" because he dominated the high- A league after missing most of two years with a shoulder injury.

The place of those two aces has been half-taken by Daryl Thompson, the 21-year-old promoted after a smashing start (5-0, 0.96) in Dayton. Thompson was returning from an injury when he was acquired last year in the Kearns-Lopez-Bray-Majewski trade, and pitched minimally the rest of the season. "He just took off in Dayton," Griesser reported.

The Dragons (30-14) were expected to be good this year, because most of the same guys were good last year in Billings. Chief among them: "Chris Valaika. He's the man at short. The same guy who had a 32-game hitting streak last year in the Pioneer League to break a record. He can flat-out center the ball, and he's a gamer. He's the kind of guy you really want on your team."

The organization, it seems, has been drafting and developing more and more of those types. Griesser can see the difference. He joined up seven years ago, when Jim Bowden was the general manager. Bowden drafted in sunglasses and a tool belt.

"It's a breath of fresh air sometimes to get these guys, and they know how to play baseball," Griesser said. "They're going to continue to progress because they take their jobs very seriously. Guys like Valaika and Justin Turner (Dayton second baseman) and Drew Stubbs (Dayton center fielder and last year's first-round draft choice).

"I'm not knocking a guy who's a tools guy, because those guys are fun to watch. Stubbs is as gifted a guy as you'd ever want to see in terms of his tools. He's 6-4, 200 pounds and he can fly. But he has a real idea how to play the game. He's a really good center fielder, and he's got a great feel for it. If you're looking for the perfect athlete, that's the kind of guy you're looking for."

So there you go. Rub some of that on the bruise (if you can find it among all the others) left by Friday night's eight-run 10th inning.

Contact Lonnie Wheeler at lwheeler@cincypost.com.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....705260393/1027

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Nice article from the Cincy Post on Reds prospects

It could be that I'm just looking for anything positive about this organization, but I think this farm system is turning into a one of the best in baseball. Dayton and Sarasota are dominating their divisions right now. While winning in the minors doesn't have that much to do with projecting major league talent, it does though create a winning mindset that can eventually make its way to the majors. And with six picks in the first 110 overall in the upcoming draft, the front office has a chance to make it even better in the near future.

Porkchop Sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by HBP View Post
    It could be that I'm just looking for anything positive about this organization, but I think this farm system is turning into a one of the best in baseball. Dayton and Sarasota are dominating their divisions right now. While winning in the minors doesn't have that much to do with projecting major league talent, it does though create a winning mindset that can eventually make its way to the majors. And with six picks in the first 110 overall in the upcoming draft, the front office has a chance to make it even better in the near future.

The hope would be within two years that winning would have made its way up to all levels of the minors, to the point that veteran stopgaps are few and far between. Within three years the talent of the entire organization, including majors approaches top notch. That puts us at the 2010 timetable that many have mentioned on here. as much as I despise waiting 3 more years, the sheer possibility of such a stron organization is exciting, and may be the only beacon in such a dark season.

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo View Post
    The hope would be within two years that winning would have made its way up to all levels of the minors, to the point that veteran stopgaps are few and far between.
    That's probably asking a little too much.

Very few, if any, teams have prospect-laden rosters at all three levels of the minors. The vast majority of teams have AAA franchises that resemble Louisville ... two or three blue chip prospects surrounded by a bunch of AAAA veterans.

"He got some contact lenses, and he started wearing them right around the time he started going on this tear".
    It seems like such a no-brainer, but do teams regularly schedule eye exams for their players? I know I would if I ran a big league franchise, but I have a sinking feeling that it's not standard operating procedure. Anybody know if this is done?
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    It seems like such a no-brainer, but do teams regularly schedule eye exams for their players? I know I would if I ran a big league franchise, but I have a sinking feeling that it's not standard operating procedure. Anybody know if this is done?
    That would be interesting to know. I'd imagine they test everybody in the spring, but I doubt they do any other time unless the player requests it.

Ya can't teach speed...

The clubs do not schedule regular vision exams (the annual physical at ST doesn't include a vision exam either) but leave that up to the player. The health insurance plan provided to the players does cover regular exams, glasses and contacts if needed. Vision correction surgery (Lasik) is not covered under the health/vision plan.

In some ways you would think the clubs would do a vision exam but its hard (if not impossible) to get the right equipment all in one place at one time. Furthermore, they do pay for the exams and these guys are all adults. At some point the parent club should be able to expect the players to act like adults and seek out this kind of stuff when they think they need it.

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Last edited by Triples; 05-26-2007 at 06:52 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triples View Post
    The clubs do not schedule regular vision exams (the annual physical at ST doesn't include a vision exam either) but leave that up to the player. The health insurance plan provided to the players does cover regular exams, glasses and contacts if needed. Vision correction surgery (Lasik) is not covered under the health/vision plan.

In some ways you would think the clubs would do a vision exam but its hard (if not impossible) to get the right equipment all in one place at one time. Furthermore, they do pay for the exams and these guys are all adults. At some point the parent club should be able to expect the players to act like adults and seek out this kind of stuff when they think they need it.
    You do make a good point. Kind of like an injury, if the player doesn't step and say 'I am hurting' then how is the team supposed to know? They cant give full body MRI and Xrays to guys and at some point the guys have to step up and say 'coach I think I should go see an eye doctor, I am not seeing things like I used to'. I do think it would be a good idea if Lasik were covered by the team, as it does improve the sight, but I wonder if that is still considered more of a 'cosmetic' surgery in terms of the type of insurance coverage they get.

Ya can't teach speed...

I agree, Lasik should be covered

Quote Originally Posted by Triples View Post

Turn Off Ads?