Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think the yankees match up for a trade

I think the yankees match up for a trade

from the New York Times today,

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/26/sp...th&oref=slogin

"Poor relief pitching by the Yankees was one obvious reason the Los Angeles Angels won, 10-6, at Yankee Stadium last night. Tyler Clippard, the rookie right-hander making his second major-league start, was removed after only four innings by Manager Joe Torre, a curious decision that backfired.

But a potentially more significant replacement came in the seventh when Johnny Damon, the center fielder, left the game for a pinch-hitter after going 0 for 3 and failing to catch several fly balls near him, including one that bounced off his glove.

Damon, a 13-year veteran who has never been on the disabled list, said that he had a recurrence of calf cramps in both legs and now had a sore Achilles’ tendon in his right leg. When asked whether Damon might go on the disabled list, Torre and Damon acknowledged the possibility."
    and they also need Freel. He is the perfect supersub! He would light a fire under that team and he's Torre's kind of player (Torre loved Casey too). He could play centerfield while Damon gets his cramps issues together. Also, I've gotta believe the Yankees know that ARod is going to leave after this year and get even more money from the Angels. This opens a hole at third. Yes, Freel is one very important safe step for the Yankees. I believe they would overpay for him - and maybe for one of our pitchers as well.
    Lohse???

I'm not sure if we should throw Weathers and the season completely away, but this is an interesting need and the Yankees are getting desperate for a change - just as much as we REdszoners.

might have a good match here.

Question is - We are never goihng to get Hughes from the Yankees. For those of you who know more about the NY farm system, who would we want for, say, Weathers and Freel?? or Lohse and Freel??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I think the yankees match up for a trade

Joba Chamberlain and Ian Kennedy both interest me. Both are 2006 draft picks, so they would both have to be PTBNL's until a year after they signed. After looking it up, Chamberlain signed on September the 2nd and Kennedy signed on August the 17th.

Freel and Weathers for Kennedy or Chamberlain would work for me. Hell, throw in Lohse too.

I looked them up and they look jsut fine! But you think we could only get ONE of those guys???

If they were on the verge of being called up, I can see that, but it seems like not much for two major leaguers. Maybe I overvalue our guys??

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I don't have any problem dealing current Reds for future Reds.

The Reds certainly will be sellers this summer, I agree.

If they can wait until mid or late June, these guys will be worth even more than we could get for them right now, IMO. Unless the Yankees blow you away with an offer.

Stanton can pitch much better than this; he simply has never pitched this poorly before. He can be useful to someone, but probably not in return for much due to the length of the contract?
    Last edited by Always Red; 05-26-2007 at 05:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I don't have any problem dealing current Reds for future Reds.

The Reds certainly will be selleers this summer, I agree.

If they can wait until mid or late June, these guys will be worth even more than we could get for them right now, IMO. Unless the Yankees blow you away with an offer.

Stanton can pitch much better than this; he simply has never pitched this poorly before. He can be useful to someone, but probably not in return for much due to the length of the contract?
    He's 40. Could simply be done. He had a good career, that doesn't make him good now. I'd trade him to anyone who would pay the bill. He's in Milton's class. No return required.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    He's 40. Could simply be done. He had a good career, that doesn't make him good now.
    well, I agree he certainly isn't any good right now.

We've seen it a lot over the last couple of years: guys pitch here and get shelled, and then move on and pitch well again for other teams. I don't have the answer as to why that happens. Hume? Pole? Narron? who knows?

Stanton may fall into that category, or as you say, he may just have lost his stuff due to age.

I'd trade him to anyone who would pay the bill. He's in Milton's class. No return required.
    agree; it'd be worth it just to clear up a roster space.

Is that Tabada(sp?) kid still a phenom in their system?

I would add a curve to the trade to the Yankees idea. Bronson Arroyo.

If he could be turned into the apropriate haul of near MLB ready talent that fits more in age to Baily, Bruce etc I'd deal him now.

PAB's, and IP's, are piling up on the arms of Harrang and Arroyo. I say trade them and Dunn this year for a boatload of kids roughly the same age and near MLB ready status as the kids we have coming up.

If not the kids will get here, and even if they do pan out, they will just become the new names of the 3-4 good playesr we have that can't win due to the overall lack of organizational talent. The old 3-4 names will turn into the bloated contracts of underperforming or injured players we wish we would have traded when we had the chance.

We need a calvary unit to arrive from the minors, not 3 or 4 more replacements for the slaughter.

Any deal involving Harang or Arroyo to the Yankees would have to include Phillip Hughes plus possibily another prospect coming the Reds way.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Any deal involving Harang or Arroyo to the Yankees would have to include Phillip Hughes plus possibily another prospect coming the Reds way.
    I'm fine with that and have suggested since mid season 2006.

If were going to live and die by the kids who are supposedly on the way to save us then I'd rather have a bunch of them about the same age for the inevitible attrition.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    I'm fine with that and have suggested since mid season 2006.

If were going to live and die by the kids who are supposedly on the way to save us then I'd rather have a bunch of them about the same age for the inevitible attrition.
    I am all for a full fledged firesale. Trade We have some pieces that could draw some big returns in a trade. Aaron Harang, Bronson Arroyo, Adam Dunn, and Ken Griffey Jr. should all land huge returns. Ryan Freel, Hatteberg, and Weathers could bring a decent return back. Go ahead and trade them all if you have to, but they better be 100% sure that they are getting the right prospects in return because if not, then we'll be right back at ground zero.

Look at the Florida Marlins for example, they always seem to hit the jackpot in terms of acquiring prospects from a firesale. That's exactly what the Reds have to do. Target guys who will be ready about the time that Jay Bruce, Chris Valaika, Sean Watson, and Johnny Cueto arrive. That should be around 2009. By then Votto and Bailey will have already a year under their belts hopefully.

Here would be some of my proposals just for fun:

Bronson Arroyo to the Yankees for RHP Phillip Hughes and OF Colin Curtis.

Ken Griffey Jr. and Kyle Lohse to the Braves for C Jarrod Saltalamacchia and RHP Kyle Davies.

Adam Dunn to the Angels for 3B Brandon Wood, RHP Nick Adenhart, and a prospect.

Aaron Harang and David Weathers to the Indians for RHP Adam Miller and
    SS Asdrubal Cabrera.

I am all for a full fledged firesale. Trade We have some pieces that could draw some big returns in a trade. Aaron Harang, Bronson Arroyo, Adam Dunn, and Ken Griffey Jr. should all land huge returns. Ryan Freel, Hatteberg, and Weathers could bring a decent return back. Go ahead and trade them all if you have to, but they better be 100% sure that they are getting the right prospects in return because if not, then we'll be right back at ground zero.

Look at the Florida Marlins for example, they always seem to hit the jackpot in terms of acquiring prospects from a firesale. That's exactly what the Reds have to do. Target guys who will be ready about the time that Jay Bruce, Chris Valaika, Sean Watson, and Johnny Cueto arrive. That should be around 2009. By then Votto and Bailey will have already a year under their belts hopefully.

Here would be some of my proposals just for fun:

Bronson Arroyo to the Yankees for RHP Phillip Hughes and OF Colin Curtis.

Ken Griffey Jr. and Kyle Lohse to the Braves for C Jarrod Saltalamacchia and RHP Kyle Davies.

Adam Dunn to the Angels for 3B Brandon Wood, RHP Nick Adenhart, and a prospect.

Aaron Harang and David Weathers to the Indians for RHP Adam Miller and
    SS Asdrubal Cabrera.
    Any one of those and I might make out with Wayne.

There will always be some who don't pan out, its the cost of doing business the way a small market team has to do business.

Here is the glimmer of hope for thsi franchise I still cling to:

-2007 fireslae nets approx 10-12 near MLB ready prospects and frees a ton of salary/payflex. JR, Dunn, Milton and all the craptastic memebers of the 2M a year club.

-2007 draft has multiple picks in the top 150 IIRC

-Our system is showing plenty of signs of life as it is

-We are well on our way to the overall #1 in 2008 and the '07 firesale should guarantee it.

You do those things and we could be looking at as deep and talented ML system as any in baseball by next year with talent spread out from AAA to rookie ball. THEN you can start to build a quality MLB team around all that would be left(EE, BP, JH, and whatever young pitchers you hold on to).

Dunn, JR, Harang and Arroyo are the only pieces of any value. Get what you can for the other guys, but if you want to ever build this sucker into something more than hoping for .500 ball every few years, you bite the bullet and sell them ALL off.

Keep playing the tread water with placeholders while only building through the draft game and you are proving beyond a shadow of a doubt Lidner is still in charge.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Any one of those and I might make out with Wayne.
    Would Wayne want to make out with you, is the question

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Would Wayne want to make out with you, is the question
    If edabbs of the opposite sex I'm guessing.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Loving the direction of this thread. Well...except for the making out part

Turn Off Ads?