Turn Off Ads?

Thread: What trading/not trading Dunn would mean...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

What trading/not trading Dunn would mean...

Fox Sports

Reds left fielder Adam Dunn lacks a no-trade clause, but his contract includes a provision that grants him his own form of protection, effectively allowing him to determine his own fate.

If Dunn is traded, his $13 million club option for '08 will be voided, making him a free agent at the end of the season, according to a source with knowledge of his contract.

Thus, any team that acquired him likely would request a negotiating window to sign him long-term, rather than simply rent him for two or three months.

If the Reds keep Dunn and exercise his option after the season, he will gain full no-trade protection until next June 15. After that date, he could be traded to 10 clubs, but the list would be of his own choosing.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What trading/not trading Dunn would mean...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Fox Sports

Reds left fielder Adam Dunn lacks a no-trade clause, but his contract includes a provision that grants him his own form of protection, effectively allowing him to determine his own fate.

If Dunn is traded, his $13 million club option for '08 will be voided, making him a free agent at the end of the season, according to a source with knowledge of his contract.

Thus, any team that acquired him likely would request a negotiating window to sign him long-term, rather than simply rent him for two or three months.

If the Reds keep Dunn and exercise his option after the season, he will gain full no-trade protection until next June 15. After that date, he could be traded to 10 clubs, but the list would be of his own choosing.

This has been discussed in several recent "trade Dunn/Jr" threads. The significance is that Dunn's contract probably makes it harder to trade on him on several levels.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

IMO it just gives the player more leverage to negotiate with the new team. I'm sure Dunn would take a trade if the money was right. Any team interested in him knows he's going to be expensive. Important details but I still think Dunn is very tradeable(in the hands of a competent GM).

I agree with those who say get a prospect that projects to be a frontline starting pitcher or let him walk and take the draft pick.

I have a feeling Dunn is traded this summer or he signs long term here for the long haul. Dunn was pretty pumped up about Votto,Bruce and especially Bailey this spring so he may "take" a losing season or two yet again if he feels the payoff is worth it.

I remember somebody on this board thought Dunn would be a better hitter in his 30's than his 20's. By the time his contract ends probably next decade, he can sign with a AL team to DH.

I really think we'd regret trading Dunn. He just can't be the centerpiece of this offense, hes not that type of hitter yet thats what we expect out of him right now. I really want to see Votto up so we have a few power options rather than just dunn and Griffey. Then Hambone comes back and we have 4 sluggers...

if Votto sucks in the MLB we tell Dunn hes playing 1B or hes leaving Cincinnati, a city he has said he has grown to love

This is very interesting because it semi confirms what I have previously read from various sources. If the Reds exercise Dunn's option, he gains no-trade rights under his deal. Apparently full no-trade until next 6/15 and then he can only be dealt to 10 clubs of his choosing.

So here's the deal -- if the Reds pay Dunn his $13.5 for next year, they have a very limited ability to trade him then. At that point they have to negotiate a longer term deal; trade him to a team of his choosing; or let him walk.

If they trade Dunn this year, they can deal with any team. However, their ability to make a deal is still limited since he can walk after this year if traded. The new club gets no option and this likely would affect the return in the trade.

So the Dunn contract really has the Reds boxed in. If they exercise, not only do they get the pleasure of paying him $13.5 next year, but their ability then to trade him is limited.

It seems to me that they must either decide to spend a lot of dough on this player or trade him, probably for less than full value due to these provisions. Not an ideal situation.

If it were me, as others have said, I would see if I could enter into a more reasonable long-term deal with Dunn. If not, I'm looking for a team with a particular need for this type of player and get what I could.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-26-2007 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    This has been discussed in several recent "trade Dunn/Jr" threads. The significance is that Dunn's contract probably makes it harder to trade on him on several levels.
    Actually what I should've said was dunn's contract makes it much harder to get a good return for him.... i.e. his trade value is decreased... I was probably more articulate here....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    This is very interesting because it semi confirms what I have previously read from various sources. If the Reds exercise Dunn's option, he gains no-trade rights under his deal. Apparently full no-trade until next 6/15 and then he can only be dealt to 10 clubs of his choosing.

So here's the deal -- if the Reds pay Dunn his $13.5 for next year, they have a very limited ability to trade him then. At that point they have to negotiate a longer term deal; trade him to a team of his choosing; or let him walk.

If they trade Dunn this year, they can deal with any team. However, their ability to make a deal is still limited since he can walk after this year if traded. The new club gets no option and this likely would affect the return in the trade.

So the Dunn contract really has the Reds boxed in. If they exercise, not only do they get the pleasure of paying him $13.5 next year, but their ability then to trade him is limited.

It seems to me that they must either decide to spend a lot of dough on this player or trade him, probably for less than full value due to these provisions. Not an ideal situation.

If it were me, as others have said, I would see if I could enter into a more reasonable long-term deal with Dunn. If not, I'm looking for a team with a particular need for this type of player and get what I could.
    Thank Krivsky for negotiating that deal.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Turn Off Ads?