Turn Off Ads?

Thread: In my eyes..,

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

In my eyes..,

Griffey is in the top 5 on the all time Home Run list.

Bonds, Sosa, and McGwire shouldn't count.

Hank Aaron

Babe Ruth

Willie Mays

Frank Robinson

Ken Griffey, Jr

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: In my eyes..,

I'm certainly not going to discount Barry myself. I can't stand the guy but he's a HOF player with or without steroids. If it is proven that he took them and that he did so after they became against the rules in baseball, then perhaps I might feel differently about it. Pretty much the same holds true for McGuire & Sosa, neither of whom I am too fond of either.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Admission that he took them, even 'unknowingly' is enough for me pedro. McGwire and Sosa.... what they did at the congressional hearings is an absolute joke and that is what I see them as now.

Regardless of any of that, Ken Griffey Jr is the best clean baseball player I have ever seen in my lifetime. Injuries derailed him and I really think that 20 years from now people will talk about him like they talk about Mickey Mantle in the sense of 'what if he were able to stay healthy all those years'.... and despite even that, he will still go down as one of the best players ever.

I just have a hard time getting too worked up about steroids. I'm glad they're banned and tested for but other than that........
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I just have a hard time getting too worked up about steroids. I'm glad they're banned and tested for but other than that........

I think the real effect they had with Bonds has been his ability to recover quickly at his age.

Aaron's longevity separated him from the great home run hitters of years gone by. Bonds has caught him with the same formula, longevity.

Bonds was a great hitter before he started juicing, but we'll never know if he could have maintained his pace without the juice.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Why does anyone assume Junior is clean and everyone else isn't?

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    Head size?
    Go Gators!

Well, Jr. should pass Sosa and McGwire regardless. Six hundred home runs is a very, very lofty number. I don't care what those other guys have done. Whatever Jr's final tally is, it's going to be incredible and it's going to be honest.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Head size?
    Junior looks like us- small head, big gut.

Bonds does not.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    Good point...if Alex Sanchez is a user, no one is automatically clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Junior looks like us- small head, big gut.

Bonds does not.
    A real ballplayer
    Go Gators!

I was priviledged to see Hank Aaron play alot of his carrer on TBS. He is the greatest Homerun hitter I ever saw. Jr is the second best that I saw.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    I was priviledged to see Hank Aaron play alot of his carrer on TBS. He is the greatest Homerun hitter I ever saw. Jr is the second best that I saw.
    Well, I was fortunate enough to have seen Aaron play, but I was only five and to me he was just the "enemy" because he wore the other team's uniform. I remember my parents telling me that I was lucky to see him play, but it didn't really sink in at the time. I'd like to think that years from now folks will be saying the same thing about Jr.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Well, I was fortunate enough to have seen Aaron play, but I was only five and to me he was just the "enemy" because he wore the other team's uniform. I remember my parents telling me that I was lucky to see him play, but it didn't really sink in at the time. I'd like to think that years from now folks will be saying the same thing about Jr.
    I was fortunate enough to see Willie Mays play in the late 60's and my folks told me the same thing- he was the best, and I was lucky to see him play. It certainly did not sink in at the time, though I do remember it all these year later.

Turn Off Ads?