Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who was your favorite player??

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pete Rose

34 49.28%
  • Johnny Bench

35 50.72%

Thread: Pete or Johnny??

Pete or Johnny??

Between Mr. Rose and Mr. Bench, who was your favorite player growing up?? Even if you weren't born yet and couldn't appreciate the greatness of these two men, after looking back on their career, who is your favorite??
    Last edited by George Anderson; 05-26-2007 at 09:24 PM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pete or Johnny??

Man, that's like asking me which one of my brothers I love the most. Pete's the brother you worry about when he leaves the house. Johnny's the one you say, "Keep an eye on your brother."
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Between the two, I pick Bench. Morgan was actually my favorite with Bench second and don't ask me why, Concepcion would be next, then Perez and then Rose.

Then? Pete. Now? Bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Goten View Post
    Then? Pete. Now? Bench.
    Excellent post.

I cant remember who said it, but someone made the comment along the lines of "Pete was always jealous of Johnny because he was the most popular Red across the nation, but Johnny was always jealous of Pete because he was the most popular Red in Cincinnati".

Johnny was my favorite player growing up. At a young age,I just thought being able to wear catchers gear was the coolest thing about baseball. Add in the fact that Johnny was a prolific home run hitter which I had a fondness for.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I cant remember who said it, but someone made the comment along the lines of "Pete was always jealous of Johnny because he was the most popular Red across the nation, but Johnny was always jealous of Pete because he was the most popular Red in Cincinnati".
    I've heard one Marty Brennaman say that. I don't know if it was his observation or if he was quoting someone else.

Of all the members of the Big Red Machine, I thought Johnny Bench was the best at what he did. He remains the best catcher in the history of the game, and to watch old film of him gunning down would be base stealers is so fun to watch. He threw the ball down to 2nd like it was shot out of a cannon.

I've been to the Reds HOF 3 times since it's opened. I always stop and look at Johnny's uniform and catching equipment on display. I voted for Rose, but it's really a toss up for me. They're both proudly displayed on my garage wall in the form of framed posters.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    Of all the members of the Big Red Machine, I thought Johnny Bench was the best at what he did. He remains the best catcher in the history of the game, and to watch old film of him gunning down would be base stealers is so fun to watch. He threw the ball down to 2nd like it was shot out of a cannon.
    I bought the DVD of the 75' Series and there was one play in I think in the first game, where Bench pounced on a bunt that should have easily been a hit and threw out the runner at first with ease. He was truly a freak and one of a kind to play the position of catcher.

I didn't really appreciate Pete till later in his career. For all his down falls as a human being, he truly did maximize the God given talent he was given.

Since I have worn #5 every time I have gotten a chance on any sports team since I was 5, I have to go with Johnny.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Johnny revolutionized the catcher position. I'll give him the nod....slightly.
    Witty signature.

I wanted to bump this before the polls ends.

On a side note I am kinda suprised the vote is so close. I kinda always felt Pete despite all his problems is more popular than Johnny.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 06-01-2007 at 11:31 AM.

A Lost Ball In High Weeds shredda2000's Avatar

Johnny Bench without a doubt
    "I don't want to embarrass any other catcher by comparing him to Johnny Bench."
    Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post

Johnny was my favorite player growing up. At a young age,I just thought being able to wear catchers gear was the coolest thing about baseball. Add in the fact that Johnny was a prolific home run hitter which I had a fondness for.
    George, I agree with you, something about Johnny made catchers gear the coolest thing in baseball. As a young kid in 82-83, Benchs last year, I would put my cowboy vest on backwards like it wasa chest protector, my soccer shin guards, and a halloween mask on top of my Reds batting helmet turned backwards, and presto, i was Johnny Bench. That led to me getting real catchers gear and becoming a catcher my entire baseball career.

Turn Off Ads?