Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Castellini doesn't want to win!!

Re: Castellini doesn't want to win!!

Bob's a businessman. He knows that knee-jerk reactions in business usually end up costing you in the long run. You've got to think long-term. You have to be able to react quickly to take advantage of opportunities that suddenly arise, but you have to remember your ultimate goal.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
    The fact of the matter is the Reds are playing well below where they should be right now. The Pythagoren W-L over the last few days has gotten worse but a few days ago they should've been 22-23 instead of 10 games under .500. Let the Washington Nationals a few years ago be an example when they had a -2 run differential (a .500 Pythagorean W-L record) and were around 10 games above .500. All of a sudden the law of averages kicked in and they fell back down to where they should've been in the first place. So Castellini is right and that statement shows me he may know a little about baseball. That is a promising thing that is different from our last owner.
    Exactly right, harangatang (what a great name, btw). But the Reds fans on here don't really want to hear any of that. Last year, when we were greatly over-achieving, they started threads telling us, "Just wait, the Reds will catch up to their Pythag.! It's a mirage!" But now, when they're grossly under-achieving, it's, "Sometimes your Pythag. catches you!"

I guess when you're mired in a 7 year long drought, a cynical outlook on the Reds is not only to be expected, but probably considered a prudent one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Exactly right, harangatang (what a great name, btw). But the Reds fans on here don't really want to hear any of that. Last year, when we were greatly over-achieving, they started threads telling us, "Just wait, the Reds will catch up to their Pythag.! It's a mirage!" But now, when they're grossly under-achieving, it's, "Sometimes your Pythag. catches you!"
    I wasn't going to even rehash last year but you are absolutely correct. The Reds overachieved, the Cards underacheived (and had major injuries) and all of a sudden people think the Reds are ready for 1990 again since the Cards won the WS last year. The only good thing is it fooled Bronson Arroyo too because he signed the extension due to the Reds being in his mind competitive. Granted, one good starting pitcher with an inept GM does nothing but whenever someone competent takes over at least there will be a good base to hopefully right the ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fazio View Post
    Start the fire sale now, bring up the young kids, make some deals and fire the Mgr now if you want to win in the future. But he won't because they are afraid to move people within the organization.
    Please provide me with examples of another team, any other team, at any point in the last 10-20 years, that had a fire sale in MAY. For the life of me, I cannot recall a single one. That either means that (1) MLB history is replete with owners/GM's who don't want to win or (2) you are allowing your knee-jerk reaction to all of the losing cloud your better judgement.

The fact of the matter is, there are no trading partners in May. Nobody wants to deal until July. Until then, I would advise you to step away from the ledge, start taking your meds, and stop watching the Reds if the losing is getting you too worked up.

Turn Off Ads?