Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is our 5th Starter now?

got alil captain in u?

Who is our 5th Starter now?

Saarloos obvioulsy isn't the answer and with Uncle Milty on the DL with the myseterious injury.do we turn to someone like Santos i kno he hasn't had very good track record as stater but he's pitched decent in long relief or do we go with livingston who didn't do to terribly bad in his one start or do we go with the Savior Homer Bailey?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is our 5th Starter now?

Eric Hansen

I don't think Santos is the best option. He has been decent in the long relief role, and I think making him a starter could expose some of the serious flaws he has as a pitcher.

Livingston and [OMG]Homer[/OMG] are the two best options, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Homer could come up and pitch 5 solid innings (that's all he's ever pitched), so we could at least be ahead early before the bullpen blows it up again. :thumbdown

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Homer shouldn't be an option, IMO. Let him continue to develop.

Dumatrait(52.2 IP, 3.08 ERA, 34K/24BB) or Livingston(55.2 IP, 3.88 ERA, 42K/11BB) are better options to bring up at this point.
    Last edited by HumnHilghtFreel; 05-27-2007 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    Homer shouldn't be an option, IMO. Let him continue to develop.

Dumatrait or Livingston are better options to bring up at this point.
    Livingston maybe, but Dumatrait has been getting rocked lately in AAA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I have been surprised that Livingston only got the 1 start and we've subsequently been "searching" for a 5th starter...I'd love to see him get a legit chance to show his merits, with Bailey continuing to develop for another 6 weeks...I'd prefer to see Harang, Arroyo, Belisle, Livingston and Bailey from the trade deadline beyond this year (Lohse being moved from the rotation or traded)...

It's funny, the Reds worry so heavily about Bailey's arm and youth...what were the ages and developmental status of Glavine and Smoltz when they went through the meat-grinder in ATL in '89 and '90???...(I don't know that answer)

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coachw513 View Post
    It's funny, the Reds worry so heavily about Bailey's arm and youth...what were the ages and developmental status of Glavine and Smoltz when they went through the meat-grinder in ATL in '89 and '90???...(I don't know that answer)
    Baseball cube tells me Glavine was 21 when he debuted after 4 years in the minors. First full season was at 22.

Smoltz was 21 when he got the call-up and only spent 3 years in the minors. First full season also at 22.
    Last edited by HumnHilghtFreel; 05-27-2007 at 10:27 PM.

Are we still counting on Lohse to be #4?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Are we still counting on Lohse to be #4?
    I'd really like to see Lohse put together a good string of outings in the next month because I'd love to trade him at the deadline and get something for him. In no way should he be in the future plans for this team.

I'd also love to see Lohse put together a string of good outings, but it's time to be realistic. If he pitches poorly today, the organization should, IMHO, consider DFAing him immediately. The problem is, of course, that all of the poor personnel choices have been made by Krivsky and so every time he decides to let somebody go, it reflects badly on him. But as far as the rotation goes, I suggest we start by honestly acknowledging we have Harang, maybe Arroyo, maybe Belisle. Maybe by the middle of next season we have 4 solid starters: those three plus Bailey. Now it's time to start working on a longer-term plan to get a solid fifth guy and an alternative 6th for the middle of 2008 and beyond. And it seems pretty clear it's not Lohse and unlikely to be Sarloos. Oh, for Germano and Lincecum.

Rich Gale maybe

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I'd also love to see Lohse put together a string of good outings, but it's time to be realistic. If he pitches poorly today, the organization should, IMHO, consider DFAing him immediately. The problem is, of course, that all of the poor personnel choices have been made by Krivsky and so every time he decides to let somebody go, it reflects badly on him. But as far as the rotation goes, I suggest we start by honestly acknowledging we have Harang, maybe Arroyo, maybe Belisle. Maybe by the middle of next season we have 4 solid starters: those three plus Bailey. Now it's time to start working on a longer-term plan to get a solid fifth guy and an alternative 6th for the middle of 2008 and beyond. And it seems pretty clear it's not Lohse and unlikely to be Sarloos. Oh, for Germano and Lincecum.

Has everyone given up on the Lizard? Before getting hurt I tend to remember him putting a few pretty good outings together for us in that role last year.

I'm a little worried about starters 1-5. Harang, Arroyo, Milton, Sarloos, Lohse, and Belisle all stink right now!!!!

On the other hand Germano and Moseley both have era's under 1.50.

Why don't we just call up another reliever. The starters have been getting knocked around and out of the game early, we might as well just start with the bullpen.

Turn Off Ads?