Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Must attend sporting events

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Must attend sporting events

What are those events that you would consider "must attend" events for a sports fan? I think there are a few things that if you are a sports fan you should make it to at least once, even if you're not a fan of that particular sport. Here's my list.

1. World Series. Of course that would top my list just because it's my favorite sport.

2. World Cup, preferable the final. I don't think I need to elaborate.

3. NCAA basketball final four. I would add the NBA finals in there, but I'm not much of an NBA fan. The college final four seems to be so much bigger, at least to me.

4. Stanley Cup final. Playoff hockey is the best, the finals...even better.

5. Super Bowl

6. I'm not a big auto racing fan, but the Indy 500 and the Grand Prix of Monaco stand out as premier events that would be nice to attend at least once.

7. Kentucky Derby. I'm not much into horse racing either, but this race is somewhat iconic.

8. The Masters. I'd rather play golf than watch it, but this would be a good one to make it to at least once.

That's the list of events I want to make a point of attending. Of all those, the only one I've managed so far is a World Series game, but I was only 7 at the time and my memories are somewhat vague. Some of them will be harder to manage than others, but barring an early demise, hopefully I will make it to the rest.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: Must attend sporting events

I'd probably rank mine:

1. World Cup. The atmosphere for every single game seems to be electric. Nationalism mixed with team pride will do that.

2. Reds World Series(I may have to wait a while)

3. NCAA Basketball Tournament games. Same reason as World Cup, the great environment and crowds.

4. Super Bowl.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I don't follow basketball closely, but so far this year, largely thanks to where I live, I've been to 3 NCAA regional games and an NBA conference final game. Neither were life goals, but I'm glad I went.

2 years ago, I got to see the Buckeyes in a bowl game. That was a life goal I crossed off of my list.

Probably the only other big sporting events I'd enjoy in sports I don't follow closely are Wimbledon and the Daytona 500. They probably couldn't be more disparate in terms of the people that attend and I know that I'd be going more for people-watching than for the event itself.

Horse races are over too quickly. I wouldn't be up for traveling somewhere for an event that lasts about 2 minutes.

I don't think I'd seek out the opportunity to go to a WS game if the Reds aren't in it. I'd rather let the people who are fans of the two teams watch it in person. I'd go to an MLB All-Star Game, though.
    /r/reds

I've been to a World Series Game, an AL Playoff Game (and the game that clinched the playoffs) a NL Playoff game, a MLB game All Star Game, a AFC Championship game and a World Cup Game.

I however didn't make the US Festival, though I know folks who did.

I want to see the "ski jumping" in the Winter Olympics.
    I would love to see the three legs of the Triple Crown in horse racing.

I have already seen Reds playoffs, World Series, and an all-star game.

I have seen......

1) 1990 WS....Games 1 and 2 in Cincy
    2) 2000 NBA Championship ...Lakers/Pacers
    3) Indianapolis 500....to many to count
    4) 1991 NCAA Basketball Championship....Kansas/Duke
    5) 2007 AFC Championship ...Colts/Pats...Greatest game I have ever witnessed!!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

My wish list:

1) The Masters. The tickets are harder to get than the Super Bowl. Patrons are invited personally to purchase tickets by Augusta National. Plus, the pageantry and history of the tournament make it one of the best sporting events of the year that usually isn't over until the last man is signing his scorecard.

2) The Indianapolis 500. It's attainable and Indycar racing is racing for the rest of us. It's sophisticated racing unlike NASCAR but still attainable for the average fan unlike Formula One. Plus, the tradition over the entire month of May is unparalleled in motor sports. Bonus points for Jim Nabors. I was at the 2000 Indy 500 and it is such an impressive event to see in person.

3) The World Cup final. Many reasons have been listed already. My reasons are the intense pressure to win the tournament and the coming together of many cultures and fan bases.

4) The World Series. I'd go just so I don't have to listen to Tim McCarver.

I'd rather watch the Super Bowl on TV. Football games in person with TV timeouts every 5 minutes are tough to sit through. TV timeouts every 30 seconds would be unbearable.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I would love to go to Monaco for the Grand Prix one day. Up until 1995 the Indy 500 would've been on the list, but it's slipped so badly since then it's nothing more than a shell of its former self.

World Cup would be on the top of my list. I went to game 1 of last year's World Series, so I can cross that one off the list.

The Masters would be #2.

I have no interest in ever attending a Super Bowl. Seriously, if I was given a ticket, I think I'd sell it.

Everyone should get to a Yankees-Red Sox game once. Same for OSU-Michigan football. I've been to both and they're an awesome experience.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

A Royals-Devil Rays game. How many of us can share a MLB game with a dozen other people?
    Witty signature.

I went to the World Cup qualifier in September 2005 at Crew Stadium where the United States clinched their ticket to the World Cup with a 2-0 victory over Mexico. Columbus is one of the few spots in America--heck maybe the only spot with a soccer specific stadium--where the United States can play Mexico and have a majority of fans in the stadium rooting for the red, white, and blue.

Here's an incredible short video I found shot by someone in the stands with the crowd's reaction to the USA's second goal scored by DaMarcus Beasley: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cdYw6m2Y_s

The Final Whistle of US v. Mexico - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMeJyueCWnk

I'd like to see a Final Four whenever UK gets back there. Now that Billy G. is on board, there's finally some hope it'll happen sooner rather than later.

Champions League final.

FA Cup final.

Some day I'd like to spend 2-3 weeks in England going to a bunch of different Premiership as well as first, second, and third division matches to experience the entire spectrum of professional soccer in England.

World Cup.
    Last edited by WMR; 05-28-2007 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    A Royals-Devil Rays game. How many of us can share a MLB game with a dozen other people?
    A dozen people would be there? Must be Reggie Sanders Bobblehead Night.

Well I would love to :

See a Reds game !!!!

Visit the states for ANY MLB,NFL,NHL game.

In October I have Tickets for Dolphins (my team) V Giants at Wembley Stadium for a week 5 regular season game. Tickets were very difficult to come by for this.

Also the same month I will be at the 2nd game of two at the o2 Arena in London for The Mighty Duck V LA Kings to open the NHL season. Chances are this might be my only chance to see sports I love across the pond .

WillyMo, I went to the 1993 FA Cup Final Sheffield Wednesday v Arsenal. Wow as a 15 yr old kid it was an experience not to be missed. Pity we lost out in the replay. I have also been to two League Cup finals in 91 & 93.

Oh and one more !!!!!

England V Australia in a boxing day Test Match in Melbourne .

I found a pretty cool highlight video of the game vs. Mexico that clinched our qualification for the World Cup. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6YUQdPraao

That game definitely had a World Cup "vibe" to it and the crowd atmosphere and general atmosphere was pure electricity.

At the end when the players walked to each side of the stadium to applaud the crowd while draped in American flags was an incredibly emotional experience. Definitely the best sporting event--heck maybe event period--that I've ever attended.

Here is an AWESOME three part video put out by U.S. Soccer that has a couple pre-game interviews, highlights, and on-field reactions and post-game interviews with the players:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6Glx...xico%20Rivalry

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4qh8fChUH8

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op9w-prcXtE

Quote Originally Posted by RawOwl UK View Post
    Well I would love to :

See a Reds game !!!!

Visit the states for ANY MLB,NFL,NHL game.

In October I have Tickets for Dolphins (my team) V Giants at Wembley Stadium for a week 5 regular season game. Tickets were very difficult to come by for this.

Also the same month I will be at the 2nd game of two at the o2 Arena in London for The Mighty Duck V LA Kings to open the NHL season. Chances are this might be my only chance to see sports I love across the pond .

WillyMo, I went to the 1993 FA Cup Final Sheffield Wednesday v Arsenal. Wow as a 15 yr old kid it was an experience not to be missed. Pity we lost out in the replay. I have also been to two League Cup finals in 91 & 93.

Oh and one more !!!!!

England V Australia in a boxing day Test Match in Melbourne .
    Hey RawOwl, do you attend any lower division soccer matches? Have you ever? Talk about those experiences please if you have.

Also, is your team Arsenal? Do you go to many matches? How is the atmosphere at Emirates? Do you travel to many away matches? Have you been to any England Internationals? Thanks in advance, bud.

Turn Off Ads?