Turn Off Ads?

Thread: To all those who served...

To all those who served...

Thank you.

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: To all those who served...

I second that. I also thank those who are serving now and who will serve in the future.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I give a Thank you to my fellow Vets. I also say you are welcome to the posters that sent their thanks.

Yes, thank you.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Absolutely! We never can forget.

Amen.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

High five!

Agreed, thanks!

I spent some time yesterday watching "Band of Brothers" on the History Channel and I couldn't help but think about my grandfather. He was in the 796th AAA, part of the 10th Armored Division and occassionaly fighting along side or attached to the 101st Airborne. So he saw fighting in Bastogne and some of the other places depicted in the film and was right there in Berchtesgaden at the end. I spent many evenings sitting with him at the kitchen table, talking about his experiences. He never once talked of heroism or bravery. He didn't know anyone who was over there to fight or bring home glory. It was all about duty and having a job that needed to be done. Talking to others in my family who served, they to speak not of glory or support for some geopolitical goal, but of duty and service to others. I have a lot of respect for that.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I spent some time yesterday watching "Band of Brothers" on the History Channel and I couldn't help but think about my grandfather. He was in the 796th AAA, part of the 10th Armored Division and occassionaly fighting along side or attached to the 101st Airborne. So he saw fighting in Bastogne and some of the other places depicted in the film and was right there in Berchtesgaden at the end. I spent many evenings sitting with him at the kitchen table, talking about his experiences. He never once talked of heroism or bravery. He didn't know anyone who was over there to fight or bring home glory. It was all about duty and having a job that needed to be done. Talking to others in my family who served, they to speak not of glory or support for some geopolitical goal, but of duty and service to others. I have a lot of respect for that.
    You are correct. In the Army we were taught Duty,Honor, Country. As a medic our motto was "To Conserve the Fighting Strength." I served from 1981-1987. The Army and all branches of the Military is still taught those principles.

Yachtzee - your grandfather has our thanks.

As a history buff, I have always had a lot of respect for all veterans. But when I watched Band Of Brothers, the respect turned to awe. Those ordinary men did some extraordinary things and saw it as their duty.

I also give my thanks.

I could never do what you do, and I really respect you for it.

I consider anyone who ever served this country a hero. We should always keep our soldiers who are in harms way in our thoughts and prayers and never forget those who served before them.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Isn't it sad, in a way, that a lot of us only recognize the contributions of these brave men and women 1 day a year. Kind of the like the recognition received by emergency personel after 9/11. While it was great that they were recognized, it certainly doesn't seem like enough. Ever since that date I vowed that my children would be raised to appreciate the bravery and sacrifice of those people who often place themselves in harm's way for our safety and freedom
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Turn Off Ads?