Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BP interview with Jack McKeon

The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: BP interview with Jack McKeon

Can he pitch?

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Thanks for posting that, Chip. It was a good read.

His answer to the Larkin question was interesting. It's almost like Jack went out of his way to say as little as possible about him.

Certainly cements in my head the notion that Jack is not the manager or type of manager the Reds should be looking to now. "Getting out of the way so the players can play" is not the solution for the current woes.
    /r/reds

Thanks Chip - great article.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Popping the bubble eh?

DL: Was your 1999 Cincinnati team as good as your championship Marlins team?

JM: The chemistry was entirely different. We had a good ballclub in '99, but we didn’t have the same tremendous desire to win--everybody playing as a unit. Don't get me wrong, we had good players. We probably had as good, if not better, players than we did in Florida. But we didn’t seem to have the same type of "coming together" like we did in Florida.

Thanks Chip-I enjoyed the article. I was never a big McKeon fan, but he came across as a better and smarter guy than I had given him credit for.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post

His answer to the Larkin question was interesting. It's almost like Jack went out of his way to say as little as possible about him.

Certainly cements in my head the notion that Jack is not the manager or type of manager the Reds should be looking to now. "Getting out of the way so the players can play" is not the solution for the current woes.
    You are right different managers for different situations and this team would not be a McKeon situation.This team needs a Pinella or Hutchinson to kick their butts in gear because I still think this team is capable of playing as well as anyone in this division. Great article.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Are we reading the same article? I can't find one thing in this about Larkin that was any different than anything he said about anyone else. If you didn't know their past problems you wouldn't be able to jump to anything from this quote except that he thought Larkin was one of the best players that he ever managed.

DL: Is Barry Larkin the best player youíve managed thatís not in the Hall of Fame?

JM: Well, he was a very good player. But when you look at guys I managed, like Jim Kaat--Kaat definitely belongs in the Hall of Fame. He has more wins than a lot of guys who are in. Tony Oliva is another. Thatís two, but Larkin is right in there.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Are we reading the same article? I can't find one thing in this about Larkin that was any different than anything he said about anyone else. If you didn't know their past problems you wouldn't be able to jump to anything from this quote except that he thought Larkin was one of the best players that he ever managed.

"Well, he was a very good player. But..."

To me that part of the answer spoke volumes. The fact that it took him two more sentences to get around to the part of the quote that you bolded struck me as significant. It could be that he didn't want to slight the other players he mentioned. We'll probably never really know.
    /r/reds

Marge loved cigars? Not a total shock, but.... gad.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Marge loved cigars? Not a total shock, but.... gad.

I'm guessing he meant she loved the smell of cigars but with Marge, you never know.

I'm not saying the Reds should bring back a 76-year-old McKeon to take over for Narron.

However, "Getting out of the way and letting the guys play" is not a big part of McKeon's game, IMO. Jack is being quite modest in the article. His philosophy runs more along the lines of "If you dont produce, you'll park your ass on the bench or on somebody else's bench". He was more like Sparky Anderson in that he was a "My Way Or The Highway" kind of guy.
    Last edited by LINEDRIVER; 05-29-2007 at 02:45 PM.

He was more like Sparky Anderson in that he was a "My Way Or The Highway" kind of guy.
    He also could handle a BP pretty darn well.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Wouldn't exactly be a bad thing right about now.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

Little more talent in that bullpen than there is in this one.

Turn Off Ads?