Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chattanooga's Three-Headed Relief Ace Monster: Medlock, Pelland & Guevara

Man Pills

Re: Chattanooga's Three-Headed Relief Ace Monster: Medlock, Pelland & Guevara

Is AAA really a promotion? Couldn't it be argued that facing AA hitting is more of a challenge?

I don't know--I'm asking. I don't know the relative strength of the competition right now.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I've been a Guevara backer for a while now. Besides his height and his "trick pitch" label, he has the onus of being associated with rebel pitching guru Dr. Mike Marshall (he was tutored by a disciple of Marshall's). I've always thought that at the least you could bring him up to cover for an injury and get a good month or so out of him before the league figures him out- if they ever did.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Is AAA really a promotion? Couldn't it be argued that facing AA hitting is more of a challenge?

I don't know--I'm asking. I don't know the relative strength of the competition right now.
    It's a good question. Double-A is finishing school for a number of organizations, whereas Triple-A has become more of a holding pen for fringe guys. There might be more genuine talent in AA. But the players in Triple-A are more experienced; many have played in the majors. There's some worth in letting a guy touch that level IMO, and see if he can maintain that level of performance against guys who have been around the block a few times.
    Not all who wander are lost

Ya can't teach speed... Triples's Avatar

Although, with respect to the Reds (at least in the last couple of years) when was the last time you saw a guy get promoted from AA to the majors. Its almost always from AAA to the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    It's a good question. Double-A is finishing school for a number of organizations, whereas Triple-A has become more of a holding pen for fringe guys. There might be more genuine talent in AA. But the players in Triple-A are more experienced; many have played in the majors. There's some worth in letting a guy touch that level IMO, and see if he can maintain that level of performance against guys who have been around the block a few times.
    Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona. Not all holes, or games, are created equal. ~George Will

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Triples View Post
    Although, with respect to the Reds (at least in the last couple of years) when was the last time you saw a guy get promoted from AA to the majors. Its almost always from AAA to the majors.
    That's true. Though, I wonder if it's going to be "less true" under the new regime.

Ya can't teach speed... Triples's Avatar

Can you say L-i-n-c-e-c-u-m
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Stab in the dark:

Medlock: 5'10"
    Pelland: 5'11"
    Guevara: 5'11"

If any one of those three were promoted to the Reds tomorrow, they'd be the shortest pitcher on the active roster.

Old baseball wisdom re: short pitchers sometimes dies hard. Its been brought up before with Medlock and was speculated that his size was a determining factor in switching him to relief. At this point, given the production level that each one has shown, I'm left wondering if it isn't continuing to factor in the analysis being employed by the Front Office.
    Last edited by Triples; 05-30-2007 at 01:20 PM.
    Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona. Not all holes, or games, are created equal. ~George Will

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    There's some worth in letting a guy touch that level IMO, and see if he can maintain that level of performance against guys who have been around the block a few times.
    For pitchers, I think a stop at AAA is instructive because it lets them face the kinds of guys ('tweener skill sets and veterans on the decline) that they'll be expected to retire regularly in the majors to have any real hope of success.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

With Medlock now headed to Louisville, I figured I'd update the trio's stats in Chattanooga. I guess now it's officially a two-headed relief ace monster down in Lookout land.
    Code:

Reliever   Age    G    IP     ERA   DIPS   WHIP  HR    K   BB   HR/9    K/9    BB/9    K/BB

Medlock   24.6   29   47.2   2.64   2.02   0.84   3   59    5   0.57   11.14   0.94   11.80
    Pelland   23.7   17   26.1   4.78   3.48   1.52   3   34   12   1.03   11.62   4.10    2.83
    Guevara   25.3   28   34.1   2.88   2.84   1.22   3   47   13   0.79   12.32   3.41    3.62
    Medlock continued mowing down hitters in June with 16 strikeouts, 2 walks, and 1 home run allowed in 14 innings with a 1.93 ERA. It will be very interesting to see how he's able to adjust to International League hitters, and hopefully he just continues dominating hitters like he had been in the Southern League.

Guevara's had a shaky June marred by some control problems. He has 12 strikeouts, 5 walks, and has allowed 1 home run in 7.2 innings while posting a 5.87 ERA. It doesn't look like the Reds will be promoting him with the other crop of promotions so hopefully Guevara can bounce back in the second season down in Chattanooga. I was hoping we could see him in Louisville at some point this season, but now I'm not sure if that's going to happen.

Pelland's also had a rough June with 1 home run, 4 walks, and 5 strikeouts in only 7.1 innings with a 6.14 ERA. But considering he's the youngest arm of the trio and was just converted to a reliever, there's still plenty of time for him to figure it out. It would be promising if he turned in a very solid second season though.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triples View Post
    Yeah, really. Brian Reith is the last one I can think of, and that was born more of desperation than anything.

I guess Todd Coffey skipped almost all of AAA, although the promotion wasn't directly from AA.

Turn Off Ads?