Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NL All-Star Voting

NL All-Star Voting

Outside of Griffey being 4th, Reds are no where to be found in the voting. It's posted on MLB.COM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Plan to be spontaneous Jefferson24's Avatar

Re: NL All-Star Voting

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    Outside of Griffey being 4th, Reds are no where to be found in the voting. It's posted on MLB.COM.
    Nor should they be. We are not fielding a team with anyone worth all star consideration. Maybe in a few years that will change.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

What about Phillips ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    Nor should they be. We are not fielding a team with anyone worth all star consideration. Maybe in a few years that will change.
    Among NL outfielders Griffey and Dunn are 3rd and 4th in OPS. They both deserve to make the team. Although probably only Griffey will.

What about Phillips ?
    There are quite a few NL 2nd Basemen having better seasons than Phillips.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cinredsfan2000 View Post
    What about Phillips ?
    He's got guys named Utley and Uggla in his way. Even Jeff Kent and Orlando Hudson. Brandon has a ways to go, in my opinion, before he gets in the national limelight. The Reds putting together a winning season might help him there.
    Last edited by HumnHilghtFreel; 05-30-2007 at 12:19 PM.

Brandon Phillips is right at the top of the league with 2nd basemen. Unfortunately, with the state of the Reds many fans will overlook him. He is at least deserving up a bench spot though.
    "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?!"

Quote Originally Posted by fisch11 View Post
    Brandon Phillips is right at the top of the league with 2nd basemen. Unfortunately, with the state of the Reds many fans will overlook him. He is at least deserving up a bench spot though.
    No he doesn't. He's having a fine season, but he's 7th in BA, 6th in RBI and 6th in OPS among NL 2nd basemen. He is tied for 1st in HR, but Utley and Kent deserve the 2nd base spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Among NL outfielders Griffey and Dunn are 3rd and 4th in OPS. They both deserve to make the team. Although probably only Griffey will.

There are quite a few NL 2nd Basemen having better seasons than Phillips.
    There are many outfielders ahving better seasons then Dunn also. Dunn deserves to be an All Star, but Phillips doesnt? I personally dont think either is an all star this year, but dont understand your reasoning that Dunn is an all star caliber palayer, off of one stat you posted.

I think alot of people nationwide look at Cincy's offensive numbers like Colorado's are looked at because of GABP.

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    There are many outfielders ahving better seasons then Dunn also. Dunn deserves to be an All Star, but Phillips doesnt? I personally dont think either is an all star this year, but dont understand your reasoning that Dunn is an all star caliber palayer, off of one stat you posted.
    He is leading all NL outfielders in HRs. He is 4th in OPS. There are probably only two 2nd basemen that will be chosen, but 6 or 7 OFers. I'd have to say that Dunn is one of the top 6 outfielders in the NL. Most likely only Jr. will make the team, but if I had to choose 6 outfielders based on what they've done so far this season, they would be:

Bonds
    Beltran
    Holliday
    Lee
    Jr.
    Dunn

Dunn may do a lot of things that we may not like, but this year he has been one of the top 6 OFers in the National League. My guess is that if you replace Dunn with Rowand, that will be your All Star outfield for the NL.

If you consider offense and defense, which you should, Dunn falls down the list of OF's and Phillips moves up the list of 2B.

Also, besides Utley, Phillips offense is right on par with any other NL 2B.
    Last edited by eastkyred; 05-30-2007 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eastkyred View Post
    If you consider offense and defense, which you should, Dunn falls down the list of OF's and Phillips moves up the list of 2B.

Also, besides Utley, Phillips offense is right on par with any other NL 2B.
    If you say so.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    If you say so.
    great post.

By the way Razor, I agree with your NL OF and I don't think Phillips will make the all-star team. I wouldn't be suprised if there is only 1 2B and 3 or 4 SS.

Quote Originally Posted by eastkyred View Post
    great post.
    I've already posted my thoughts on Phillips pretty well. I disagree that he's on par with most other 2nd basemen besides Utley. He only gets on base 33% of the time. That's 10th of all NL 2bmen. A big part of offense is getting on base and 33% of the time isn't gonna cut it to be considered one of the top 2bmen in the league.

I do think that he has made great strides in becoming more patient at the plate, even in the last 5 games I've seen great improvement. And if he continues to improve then I think he will be one of the top offensive 2bmen in the NL, but he's not there yet.

And on Dunn: Even considering defense, if I had to pick 6 OFers in the NL based on their performance so far this season, he'd still be one of the 6.

Turn Off Ads?