Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has Grande gotten better?

Has Grande gotten better?

I know the "George Grande sucks" threads are all too common here, he's taken plenty of heat from Reds fans (me included) for years. Let's be honest, he deserved it.

Lately, maybe just the last two wins, I've noticed something different about Grande. He's still using his "smiling scoreboard" and "yessiree!!!" cliches, but he's also shown a lot more insight into games than I've ever witnessed. The last two wins have actually been pretty entertaining.

George has:
    1. Actually called a couple good plays like a broadcaster instead of screaming "HE GOT IT!" or "WHOA!!" in a shrill cracking voice

2. Given a pretty accurate analysis after tonight's/last night's win, and made some valid statements about why we won

It may be he's worried about his job, with Thom waiting to take over... but I think George has improved a bit as a broadcaster.
    Last edited by jhiller21; 05-30-2007 at 02:45 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Has Grande gotten better?

nope, he still sucks, lol.

talk about insight

haha i was sort of kidding, but his lack of baseball knowledge isn't really what annoys me, its how he never comes up for air, and has all those annoying sayings. His voice also has a lot left to be desired.

of course he also made the comment "i didn't know jesse jackson was travelling with the team" when they showed the guy with a mohawk in the stands. what was that about?

Uh, I think there is a Jesse Jackson who works on their broadcast crew in Cincinnati. I'm sure he isn't talking about the civil rights activist.

i was wondering maybe if that's what it was, thanks

The "This one's gonna stay in the park" on every pop up behind second base drives me crazy.

Schnickelfritz

Grand has made a modest improvement but the damage is done. He's definitely not on the smiling side of the scoreboard in my eyes. I'd like to see the Reds do some business and give Steve Stewart the mic. Then it'd be the best sports show period. Heh heh heh. Heh heh heh. Heh heh heh.

George Grande,you know his story, he blows major chunks.

I'm not a huge George Grande fan but I don't have a problem with him either. Of course he's got his annoying little sayings but they always make me laugh unlike some who throw a shoe at the TV when George gives the "Beep Beep Jeep" pitching matchups. I think an announcer like George and his optimistic style has a place in the current broadcast team. You don't want four optimists in the booth just like you don't want four guys ragging on the team every time they make an out. I think there is something to be said for having a balance and a diversity in your booth...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I think an announcer like George and his optimistic style has a place in the current broadcast team. You don't want four optimists in the booth just like you don't want four guys ragging on the team every time they make an out. I think there is something to be said for having a balance and a diversity in your booth...
    Or better yet, set up the audio so that for regular sound you get Chris, Thom, and Jeff.

...But if you turn on your V-Chip, you get George.
    L.A. manager Grady Little had a bad feeling about Wednesday's game when he saw Harang and pitching coach Dick Pole walking in after Harang's warmup.

"I saw two big men," Little said. "Either could have shut us out tonight."

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig Reds Fan View Post
    Or better yet, set up the audio so that for regular sound you get Chris, Thom, and Jeff.

...But if you turn on your V-Chip, you get George.
    It would help if Grande would just hush up once in a while and let poor Chris Welsh talk!

george grande, he's gonnnnnaaa beeeeee.....gone! i hope.

the worst is when he calls the adam dunn home run that lands twenty rows up and still does his trademark call as if it's gonna be close

Grande hasn't gotten better, we've just all gotten a little more deaf.

Turn Off Ads?