Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Lincecum opens up eyes at Giants camp

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/...s/16721504.htm

First-round pick Lincecum makes impression on Cain
    By Andrew Baggarly
    MEDIANEWS STAFF

Giants notebook

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. - It wasn't Matt Cain's day to throw, but he walked out to the bullpen anyway. There was somebody he wanted to see.

"Pure fuel," a smiling Cain said after watching Tim Lincecum's first mound session of spring training Friday.

It's easy to think of Cain and Barry Zito as the present and future 1-2 punch in the Giants rotation. But it's probably wise to save a place near the top for Lincecum, the club's first-round draft pick last June.

If Lincecum dominates hitters during Cactus League play the way he has on every other level, the Giants will be tempted to stick him on the Opening-Day roster -- and manager Bruce Bochy didn't sound as though he would try hard to resist.

"Maybe a little bit, but you've got to be open-minded and know you've got a special talent with this kid," Bochy said. "It comes out of his hand awfully easy. He has a great presence."

The Giants plan to prepare Lincecum as a starter, but they could make an about-face if the closer situation remains in flux.

Zito's new mechanics might have startled Giants officials Thursday, but he's got nothing on Lincecum -- a 5-foot-10, 160-pounder who makes up for his lack of size by using an unorthodox, highly leveraged delivery. It's the creation of his father, Chris, a former semipro player who drew inspiration from studying film of Sandy Koufax and Bob Feller.

"It works well with my body, it's kept me from getting hurt and it helps me get as much as possible from my slender frame," Lincecum said. "(Coaches) always shied away from trying to help me because of how unorthodox it is or they say it is. They really haven't tried to change me at all, anywhere."

The Giants won't start. By decree of Giants vice president Dick Tidrow, coaches are forbidden from tinkering with Lincecum's mechanics.

Those mechanics allow Lincecum to generate power. His fastball hit 98 mph in a playoff start for Class A San Jose, and some scouts say he has the best curveball of any drafted player since Kerry Wood.

Other scouts say they believe he is an injury risk because of his size -- a view the Giants don't share.

Lincecum concedes he could be confused for the batboy. He looks barely old enough to attend junior prom, but he turned 22 in June and is 31/2 months older than Cain.

Apparently, this hasn't dawned on Cain, who snickered when he saw Lincecum airing it out while playing catch.

"I heard him say, 'He won't do that all spring,'" pitching coach Dave Righetti said with a laugh.

Re: Lincecum opens up eyes at Giants camp

So what... I bet all of Florida is lining up to see Drew Stubbs!

Lincecum is to Stubbs as Kazmir is to Gruler? I hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds View Post
    Lincecum is to Stubbs as Kazmir is to Gruler? I hope not.
    It was a bad move by the Reds not to take Linecum, Some say that the Reds wanted more position players after drafting pitching the last few years. My theory you can never have enough pitching.

We can joke about this and everything, but it's high time the people involved in voting to take Stubbs over Lincecum either get the axe or get severely ostracized; and if Krivsky cast the deciding vote for Stubbs, he should consider taking a year or two off from the draft and appointing someone who knows what the hell he's doing. What a trainwreck of a decision--but one this organization makes again and again and again and again....
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    We can joke about this and everything, but it's high time the people involved in voting to take Stubbs over Lincecum either get the axe or get severely ostracized; and if Krivsky cast the deciding vote for Stubbs, he should consider taking a year or two off from the draft and appointing someone who knows what the hell he's doing. What a trainwreck of a decision--but one this organization makes again and again and again and again....
    Will we joke when Lincecum is under the knife to repair his damaged shoulder. Dude has awfull mechanics. It caught up with Liriano, it will so with Lincecum.

This piece is nothing that we haven't seen with Bailey.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    Will we joke when Lincecum is under the knife to repair his damaged shoulder. Dude has awfull mechanics. It caught up with Liriano, it will so with Lincecum.

This piece is nothing that we haven't seen with Bailey.
    But you still take Lincecum in the chance he can stay healthy--if healthy Lincecum gives the Reds what simply doesn't exist in the entirety of their minors outside of Bailey--a high-quality, hard-throwing arm. Stubbs is not only a bad ballplayer, but a total redundancy; in other words, useless.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

The Stubbs pick has WK's fingerprints all over it. He will be Wayne's own personal Torii Hunter (with the potential of being a much worse hitter), patrolling CF in Cincy within a few years.

The guy preaches defense and pitching. The irony of it all is Junior will probably be in CF this season.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Someone is going to look at it that way NC Reds, but I dont think it will be the Reds. A lot of teams passed on Lincecum. I think its funny that a lot of people are already annointing him in the same light as Scott Kazmir and the likes. He has yet to throw more than 40 innings in the minor leagues. Does the kid have talent? Yes, he does. Lots of it. That said, he is a small guy and he is a pitcher. That doesnt bode well for him if history tells us much. There are exceptions, but just becuase the guy dominated for 31.2 innings in the minors last year doesnt really translate to being compared to Kazmir, who has posted an ERA under 3.80 the last two seasons in the AL as a 21 and 22 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Someone is going to look at it that way NC Reds, but I dont think it will be the Reds. A lot of teams passed on Lincecum. I think its funny that a lot of people are already annointing him in the same light as Scott Kazmir and the likes. He has yet to throw more than 40 innings in the minor leagues. Does the kid have talent? Yes, he does. Lots of it. That said, he is a small guy and he is a pitcher. That doesnt bode well for him if history tells us much. There are exceptions, but just becuase the guy dominated for 31.2 innings in the minors last year doesnt really translate to being compared to Kazmir, who has posted an ERA under 3.80 the last two seasons in the AL as a 21 and 22 year old.
    With Deno around and Bruce on the way, the Reds needed Stubbs like a raging case of pinworms.

It's that age-old idiocy of "take the best athlete."

With Deno around and Bruce on the way, the Reds needed Stubbs like a raging case of pinworms.

It's that age-old idiocy of "take the best athlete."
    This I can agree with, but they should have passed on Stubbs and Lincecum.

And does anyone else find it strange that the owner of the team mandated that the COACHES dont try to work on Lincecums mechanics?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    And does anyone else find it strange that the owner of the team mandated that the COACHES dont try to work on Lincecums mechanics?
    When Lincecum was a High-Schooler, he pitched on the same team as my son for The Perfect Game group. These games were essentially scouting showcases. The scouts thought that his "violent lunge to the plate", ending in a "catapulting of the ball", would result in a quick exit from baseball. It is interesting to watch and I liked the pure fuel comment. Despite this he went on to lead the nation in strike-outs for U of Washington. Made the Cape look like it was his own birthday party every time he pitched. Now he has thrown very well in the minors. Meeting his Dad might have been what made me a believer. Same build and delivery. The guy is 50+ and throws in the high 80's. I'm not sure after seeing him and his Dad's delivery that there is a coach who would be able to give him productive advice, given his unique style, except maybe his Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by fargo55 View Post
    When Lincecum was a High-Schooler, he pitched on the same team as my son for The Perfect Game group. These games were essentially scouting showcases. The scouts thought that his "violent lunge to the plate", ending in a "catapulting of the ball", would result in a quick exit from baseball. It is interesting to watch and I liked the pure fuel comment. Despite this he went on to lead the nation in strike-outs for U of Washington. Made the Cape look like it was his own birthday party every time he pitched. Now he has thrown very well in the minors. Meeting his Dad might have been what made me a believer. Same build and delivery. The guy is 50+ and throws in the high 80's. I'm not sure after seeing him and his Dad's delivery that there is a coach who would be able to give him productive advice, given his unique style, except maybe his Dad.
    Sounds like Griffey Jr and his dad....

Quote Originally Posted by fargo55 View Post
    Can the Reds sign his dad?

Turn Off Ads?