Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Lincecum opens up eyes at Giants camp

Re: Lincecum opens up eyes at Giants camp

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    He and Joe Smith, who looks like he might be the first guy from the draft to stick in the majors (Brandon Morrow needs more seasoning).
    Smith is a reliever though... and while Lincecum is in AAA, he has been unreal. Luke Hochevar has been fairly impressive as well outside of the 7 walks.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I've always been high on Lincecum and advocated drafting him. That said, Mark Prior was once held up as the perfect pitching prospect. Great repertoire, perfect mechanics, etc. That ARod of pitching prospects who did everything right and was guaranteed a spot in the Hall before a single inning of major league ball. Heck, prior even dominated in the majors briefly. But things change, especially for pitchers, in their first 4-5 professional years.

I won't feel too bad about missing out until he's thrown 500 major league innings and still warrants the attention he's getting now.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Smith is a reliever though
    I just like him because he was a fairly anonymous reliever with a totally anonymous name. Plus, I took him in the Redszone 2006 mock draft, so I root for him.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Top prospect Tim Linecum struck out 14 batters in six innings to lead Triple-A Fresno to a 3-0 victory on Sunday.

Linecum is 4-0 with an 0.29 ERA, allowing 12 hits with 46 strikeouts in 31 innings for Fresno. "We're keeping track of what's going on down there," manager Bruce Bochy said. "We know how well he's throwing, but our pitching has been fine."

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Every pitcher only has so many tosses in his arm, and Lincecum's are starting to go to waste.

He is no longer a minor league pitcher.

I have a link to his delivery I'll try and post later.
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Top prospect Tim Linecum struck out 14 batters in six innings to lead Triple-A Fresno to a 3-0 victory on Sunday.

Linecum is 4-0 with an 0.29 ERA, allowing 12 hits with 46 strikeouts in 31 innings for Fresno. "We're keeping track of what's going on down there," manager Bruce Bochy said. "We know how well he's throwing, but our pitching has been fine."
    I saw that yesterday and intentionally didn't post it. As much as I wanted the Reds to draft Lincecum and what a help he could be right now, I decided not to stir the pot. As a Reds fan I just hope Stubbs turns out to be a solid major league player.

His stats at the AAA are jaw dropping, I honestly can't wait to see him pitch in the majors.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Every pitcher only has so many tosses in his arm, and Lincecum's are starting to go to waste.

He is no longer a minor league pitcher.

I have a link to his delivery I'll try and post later.
    Even if they don't want to put him in the rotation they could stick him in the pen for awhile. He would obviously be a lights out setup man or closer. At draft time last year I read that a lot of scouts thought he profiled as a reliever.

I'm really glad Stubbs is starting to hit like he did at Texas. I imagine he'd have even more power if he weren't battling a turf toe problem that will likely require surgery at the end of the season.

That said, he is nowhere near the prospect Linecum is, and he wasn't at the time of the draft. Stubbs isn't a wasted pick, but he represents a missed opportunity.

Right now Louisvilles rotation could feature Linecum, Bailey, Livingston and Dumatrait who is pitching very well.

sigh.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I'm really glad Stubbs is starting to hit like he did at Texas. I imagine he'd have even more power if he weren't battling a turf toe problem that will likely require surgery at the end of the season.

That said, he is nowhere near the prospect Linecum is, and he wasn't at the time of the draft. Stubbs isn't a wasted pick, but he represents a missed opportunity.

Right now Louisvilles rotation could feature Linecum, Bailey, Livingston and Dumatrait who is pitching very well.

sigh.
    I beg to differ. If Lincecum were a better prospect at draft time, it would have been reflected that way. Instead, Lincecum went past 9 other teams before being drafted. Teams don't just pass on pitching for no good reason.

I also remember wanting to get Lincecum.

Harang-Arroyo-Lincecum-Bailey-Belisle

Gotta love hindsight

Teams don't just pass on pitching for no good reason.
    That's because they were biased against both his unorthodix delivery and his shorter stature(5'11"). If it was based on college production it was a no-brainer. Lincecum should have been the first player picked and wasn't because he didn't fit the mold. The fact he lasted to the Giants at 10 just proved how inbred baseball scouting still is and shows a dearth of thinking outside the box.
    Last edited by flyer85; 04-30-2007 at 02:52 PM.

Lincecum was passed by so many with that kind of arm. Because each time he throws the ball, he is one step closer to the end of his career. He was by far the most polished arm in that draft, but with some bad downsides. Little surprised he fell.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    but with some bad downsides
    actually no one really knows that. His delivery may be an upside, people categorized it as a downside just because it is unique. Pitchers with "normal" delivieries get injured all the time.

Aronchis I dont think Lincecum was close to polished. The guy had a career best 4.00+ walk per 9 his senior year. Guys that are posting their best numbers and still walking over 4 guys per 9 innings arent polished at age 22.

As for scouting.... color me unsurprised that 9 teams passed on a right handed who is 5'10 and 160 pounds. I wouldn't have taken a chance on such a small pitcher either.

I wouldn't have taken a chance on such a small pitcher either.
    like I said, no thinking outside the box. His K rate was completely off the charts and he was considered to have both the best fastball and best breaking ball in the draft(extreme rarity).

He was a high risk(small, unorthodox delivery)/high reward pick, whereas Stubbs was a high risk(very questionable bat)/med reward pick. Personally, all pitchers early in the draft are high risk simply because they all stand a decent chance of injuries before they ever get to the majors.
    Last edited by flyer85; 04-30-2007 at 03:26 PM.

Turn Off Ads?