49 69.01%
  • Dropped third strike

12 16.90%
  • other (please list)

5 7.04%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dumbest Rule in Baseball

Dumbest Rule in Baseball

In honor of the two balks called against Armando Benetiz last night, I am calling on all baseball fans to vote for the Dumbest Rule in Baseball.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Dumbest Rule in Baseball

DH. I'll always vote DH.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Dh.

The leagues don't need to be different, like the NFL telling the AFC to play by Canadian rules
    Last edited by KronoRed; 05-30-2007 at 01:22 PM.
    Go Gators!

bunt a foul ball with 2 strikes. I have always hated that.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

DH.

I don't think there's even a close second.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Haunted by walks

The "vulture win" by a reliever.

I saw the dumbest rule enacted the other night (I forget which game it was) and had only seen it called once before in my lifetime (and it was called against one of my high school teammates in a state playoff game. It was called correctly, but I still think it's a dumb rule, but I digress).

Batter has 2 strikes on him. Pitch comes in, he offers at the pitch, but it hits him in the hand. It is not a normal foul ball at that point at which time he'd get another pitch. It is ruled strike 3 since he offered at it, it hit him and thus, is a dead ball. It is ruled the same as a bunt attempt on the third strike, and I think it's dumb. It happens rarely, but I think it's a dumb rule. Just rule it a foul ball. The hitter is already in pain (from being hit) and embarrassed (from attempting to swing at a ball that eventually hit him). No need to pile it on and call him out.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I like the dropped third strike even as a former pitcher. It is extremely frustrating as a young pitcher bcit comes into effect more but in the MLB the catcher needs to be able to handle nasty stuff

I hate the DH even though there have been times ive wished we were in the AL (the wily mo days.. and everytime i see adam dunn go after a flyball) I think it takes a lot out of the skill and strategy in the game which i love... I don't even like to watch AL games unless its like Yankees Redsox. It is assinine to have different rules for different leagues.
    \

Balks protect base runners. It is very much a part of small ball which is part of the reason I hate the DH. Without balks we'd see no hit and runs or SB bc it would take away the timing of base running

DH. The leagues should play by the same rules.

My preference is no DH.

The DH rule is the worst rule in all of sports!
    2006 Redszone Prospect Draft - Johnny Cueto
    2007 Redszone Prospect Draft - Pedro Viola, Alexis Oliveras
    2007 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (27) Michael Burgess, Supp. (60) Wes Roemer, 2nd (92) Barry Enright, 3rd (122) Jonathan Bachanov
    2009 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (9) Shelby Miller, 2nd (58) Marc Krauss, 3rd (89) Daniel Fields

All dyslexics must untie!

Pitcher commits error, then when the runner scores it's an "unearned" run?
    Never overlook the obvious

DH by all means...

but,

If you want to talk about the Balk rule, I know it's there to protect the runners so how about the way the balk rule is enforced. Like when Harang hung his spikes and the "balk" brought the runner in to tie the game. Or how Andy Pettite NEVER gets called for a balk on those pickoffs to 1st.
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Uncaught third strike, no way should the batter potentially get rewarded for swinging at a bad pitch. It is inconsistent with the swinging at a pitch that hits them mentioned in an earlier post.

The DH is a good rule for MLB, requiring pitchers to hit is about like requiring 300 pound lineman to be the field goal kicker. But it should be either or, not two different rules in the AL/NL. I used to hate it, but it turned out to be only traditionalist reason forming the opinion. Pitchers hitting stifles the offensive flow of the game. It would be like telling the offensive team in football that the QB must run at least once every other series, or that the rebounding power forward has to make at least one 3 point attempt per game.

I would love to see the NL adopt the DH--and drop the uncaught third strike rule.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Balk without a doubt. It's hard to define and even more difficult to enforce. Why can't the pitcher fake out the runner? The runner can fake out the pitcher! While you may or may not like the DH, at least it's somewhat logical, easy to understand, and very easy to enforce.

Complex rules that are difficult to enforce detract from the game in my opinion. It's why I like baseball more than football and basketball. The more little rules that are necessary to create the desired balance, the worse the game is designed in my opinion. Baseball is very well designed in terms of this balance, as can be seen by the fact that it's rules have stayed constant for so long.

I would equate the DH with addition of the 3 point shot in basketball. It's not a rule so much as a design change. In terms of bad rules, I'd add the infield fly rule to the equation.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    In terms of bad rules, I'd add the infield fly rule to the equation.
    Disagree strongly.

I bet you'd hate it after about five DPs resulted from pop-ups on the infield.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?