Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When will Votto get the call?

When will Votto get the call?

I've been watching Votto's strong season at AAA. With his consistency and production I have to think that he will be a September callup at latest. Honestly, he should probably make the club before Homer Bailey. However, Homer's chances are greater in the aspect that his position isn't crowded with perfomers. For Votto to get the call now or before September, the Reds would have to free up a first baseman. Hatteberg obviously performs and is left-handed so that's not an option, and with Narron's obsession with veterans I don't see Conine going anywhere either. It seems most likely that Joey will get the call late in the year when the roster is expanded and he will see some time off of the bench with a few spot starts. I just keep getting more and more excited for the future of the Reds. It seems like the farm system has done a 180 and actually started producing multiple promising prospects. So what do you think about Votto and his likelihood of making his MLB debut this season?
    "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?!"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: When will Votto get the call?

I suspect Votto will be in the Queen City sometime around the trading deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    I suspect Votto will be in the Queen City sometime around the trading deadline.
    This is what I thought, although a September call up won't shock me. I don't think Krivsky and Narron have the "vet love" some think just for the sake of having vets around. I think the Hatteberg/Conine tandem has worked out very well, but many of us have recognized it as a stop gap for when Votto makes the big club.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Conine moved at the deadline to make room for Votto. Then Votto can get his feet wet with Hatteberg playing too, mentoring him.

As soon as Hatteburg is dealt.

I think he's major league ready right now but bringing him up would ultimately take ABs away from Hatteburg which might ultimately hurt his trade value. Votto is certainly the future but I'd rather have him playing everyday in Louisville while the Reds showcase Hatteburg. After that I'd imagine he'll be eased into action by platooning 1B with Conine and be given the job fulltime in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    Yep.

Conine will stay as a "mentor" and he'll also play 1st vs righties.
    Go Gators!

Votto hits much better against righties than lefties.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Yep.

Conine will stay as a "mentor" and he'll also play 1st vs righties.
    Conine will play vs lefties. Votto will take over Hat's role and play against righties.

I thought lefties and typed righties

Brain freeze.
    Go Gators!

Does anybody know what Vottos splits are against lefties and righties or know the site in which I can look it up. Thanks.
    I hope Votto is up by the deadline...no reason for hatteberg to be around cincy much longer.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

Quote Originally Posted by mound_patrol View Post
    Does anybody know what Vottos splits are against lefties and righties or know the site in which I can look it up. Thanks.
    I hope Votto is up by the deadline...no reason for hatteberg to be around cincy much longer.
    Minorleaguebaseball.com has splits. Here are Votto's:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=458015

He's not tearing up AAA pitching. A .919 OPS doesn't "demand" a call up. If it was a 100 points higher, then, yes, but there would still have to be a starting spot open for him. You don't bring up a non-veteran to sit on the bench for spot starts.

Glad Hopper is getting these starts, and I hope Wise gets many, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    He's not tearing up AAA pitching. A .919 OPS doesn't "demand" a call up. If it was a 100 points higher, then, yes, but there would still have to be a starting spot open for him. You don't bring up a non-veteran to sit on the bench for spot starts.

Glad Hopper is getting these starts, and I hope Wise gets many, too.
    He's been tearing up AAA pitching for the past month. He has an OPS of 1.106 for the month of May. He's really come on strong after a slow start.

I agree that he shouldn't come up unless there is room for him play regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post

I think he's major league ready right now but bringing him up would ultimately take ABs away from Hatteburg which might ultimately hurt his trade value. Votto is certainly the future but I'd rather have him playing everyday in Louisville while the Reds showcase Hatteburg. After that I'd imagine he'll be eased into action by platooning 1B with Conine and be given the job fulltime in 2008.

Sure, shop Hatteberg, but unless you can get something meaningful for him, keep him. He's 37 and will be 38 next season. He probably can play some left field in an emergency, as well as first. As a bench player next year, with Votto starting at first, Hatte can give the Reds good depth and hitting off the bench.

Imagine having the ability to put Hatteberg up in the late innings againt a tough righty as a pinch hitter for, say, Ross or the pitcher's spot. Depth, bench strength, is a wonderful thing. Or having Hatte available to fill in for an injury to a corner outfielder or first baseman.

From the left side, I would like to have both Hatte and Valentin off the bench -- with Valentin as the backup catcher. I know he doesn't field well, but Valentin adds something most backup catchers (including the current one) don't -- some offense. Then add Freel as super sub, Norris Hopper and an infielder (Castro, whomever) and you have a bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Sure, shop Hatteberg, but unless you can get something meaningful for him, keep him. He's 37 and will be 38 next season. He probably can play some left field in an emergency, as well as first. As a bench player next year, with Votto starting at first, Hatte can give the Reds good depth and hitting off the bench.

Imagine having the ability to put Hatteberg up in the late innings againt a tough righty as a pinch hitter for, say, Ross or the pitcher's spot. Depth, bench strength, is a wonderful thing. Or having Hatte available to fill in for an injury to a corner outfielder or first baseman.

From the left side, I would like to have both Hatte and Valentin off the bench -- with Valentin as the backup catcher. I know he doesn't field well, but Valentin adds something most backup catchers (including the current one) don't -- some offense. Then add Freel as super sub, Norris Hopper and an infielder (Castro, whomever) and you have a bench.
    He isn't signed through next year. Hatt also is a horrid 2nd half player.

Hatteberg as a backup 1B and pinch-hitter? Fine. Hatteberg as a backup outfielder? No way.

Turn Off Ads?