Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quality of Posts in the Sun Deck

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Re: Quality of Posts in the Sun Deck

Quote Originally Posted by RedsRFreel View Post
    As the guy who posted the thread regarding Adam Dunn's sac fly I must say I thought it more interesting than this thread. To write a thread to complain about a thread is pretty ridiculous. You are taking this stuff way too seriously. I didn't realize I had to check in with you and get your approval to make a post. I didn't realize this was supposed to be such high quality journalism. Wow! I apologize to all of you for ruining your evening with such a frivolous post. I guess I won't do that again! I wouldn't want to waste a second (literally) of your precious time.
    Yes, some people will tend to take things too seriously. Especially when you take away their membership to The Secret Club and they're looking for somebody to blame.

No, you don't *have* to check with anybody before you post. 'Tis the magical nature of teh internets~!

And no, this isn't supposed to be High Quality Journalism. I really don't even know where you'd go for that, these days.

But please, just as one Reds fan to another, this also is not supposed to be retarded sports talk radio where a caller phones in, makes a statement almost completely devoid of insight, and forces the hosts to say "thanks for calling" and hang up before trying to find an interesting tangent to go off on to bail out the caller. I believe the "in-joke" to make around here would involve the phrases "banana phone" and "pink shirt," but it pretty much applies to the entire braindead genre of talk radio. More to the point: it's something we should all be proud enough to not willingly duplicate here at RedsZone. Either have something new to contribute, or have the eloquence to at least say it in an amusing way and with a clever turn or five of phrase. It's not snotty elitism, it's just -- you know? -- having standards.

And as the previous poster noted: the "hosts" of the show in this case would be far more likely to step in and bail you out with additional information/analysis if you post your fairly trite and unoriginal thoughts in an appropriate existing thread rather than starting an all new one.

[Addendum: If this is going to be an ongoing issue/topic of discussion, I vote for ditching "The Sun Deck" forum name, and just go ahead and call this place "The Banana Phone." Seriously. That'll show 'em!]
    Last edited by FlightRick; 05-30-2007 at 08:25 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

So say hello to even more poorly-punctuated one-line stupidfests that contain more emoticons than cogent thoughts! And granted, at some level "market forces" will move those threads down the page.... but it hardly matters when there are enough of them present that they kind of gum up the works and make it tougher to find the quality than it needs to be.
    What a great sentence and a great post in general!

I also just realized that I should have obeyed my own instructions and read the entire thread before posting my (hackneyed and less well-articulated) thoughts on the subject. Oh well... at least I didn't start a whole new thread!
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I think the issue at hand here is just a general perception of the board. Some feel a sense of pride in this community and want to see it be the best possible while others treat this just as they would any other board. I agree with Reds Freak about the quality of threads on the decline and this seems to be the result of removing the ORG posters (many of whom take pride in this board) and leaving a discussion group of primarily newer and less frequent posters, such as myself. I don't know that there is a remedy (although some type of game thread access might help) other than just reading the quality posts and ignoring the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    I think the issue at hand here is just a general perception of the board. Some feel a sense of pride in this community and want to see it be the best possible while others treat this just as they would any other board. I agree with Reds Freak about the quality of threads on the decline and this seems to be the result of removing the ORG posters (many of whom take pride in this board) and leaving a discussion group of primarily newer and less frequent posters, such as myself. I don't know that there is a remedy (although some type of game thread access might help) other than just reading the quality posts and ignoring the rest.
    Perhaps we can create our own forum called "Younger Old Red Guard" and then kick out all of the bad posters?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Let's get this puppy back to the top of the heap for a minute, shall we?

I think the quality of disquisition in this niche is superior. These posters are the ne-plus-ultra of all internet commentators. They are sui generis, unparalleled in their abilities to dissect the inner machinations of the Reds decisionmaking apparatus.

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    I think the quality of disquisition in this niche is superior. These posters are the ne-plus-ultra of all internet commentators. They are sui generis, unparalleled in their abilities to dissect the inner machinations of the Reds decisionmaking apparatus.
    I might've just found my new signature.

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    I'm confused. Either it has just become very cool to use latin words... or it is so un-cool that redsupport is mocking their very existence by spouting nonsense. Or perhaps I have just entered the desert of the real?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I'm confused. Either it has just become very cool to use latin words... or it is so un-cool that redsupport is mocking their very existence by spouting nonsense. Or perhaps I have just entered the desert of the real?
    Just approach redsupport's posts with the following type of background in mind and they'll be much less troubling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delphi#Oracle

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    I don't understand the complaining about stupid threads. The internet is fantastic for 1000 reasons, one of them is that true market principles apply to thread creations. If the thread is worthless, it quickly plunges to the bottom as superior postings generate interest and discussion and stay at the top. If your gripe is that other threads are getting in the way of quality, this one does that too.

That's why I have little understanding of the structured hierarchy at this site. Rather than allowing good posts and bad posts to be rated by market principles on one collective board, with the good posts staying up top and the bad ones getting pushed away, this site relies on an inefficient popularity contest. While the goal is to have the highest quality posts (and don't get me wrong, the site owners can do whatever they want), the irony is that it forces good conversation into multiple places, bars people from responding to posts in ORG where they have something of value to say (or forcing the creation of a parallel Sun Deck thread), relegates strong posters to second class status, and generally stifles the quality of the site.
    Its not that at all I don't think. I think he is trying to help people who want to make it up to the ORG by helping them with their posting and maybe show something to Boss or whoever that they can contriubute good posts to the site.
    Let's make some noise!

Recovering Cubs Fan

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    I don't understand the complaining about stupid threads. The internet is fantastic for 1000 reasons, one of them is that true market principles apply to thread creations. If the thread is worthless, it quickly plunges to the bottom as superior postings generate interest and discussion and stay at the top. If your gripe is that other threads are getting in the way of quality, this one does that too.

That's why I have little understanding of the structured hierarchy at this site. Rather than allowing good posts and bad posts to be rated by market principles on one collective board, with the good posts staying up top and the bad ones getting pushed away, this site relies on an inefficient popularity contest. While the goal is to have the highest quality posts (and don't get me wrong, the site owners can do whatever they want), the irony is that it forces good conversation into multiple places, bars people from responding to posts in ORG where they have something of value to say (or forcing the creation of a parallel Sun Deck thread), relegates strong posters to second class status, and generally stifles the quality of the site.
    I really like this post, just because I really like it any time someone talks about letting market principles do their thing. But the reality is that the guys who run the site have a vision for it, and when they just left people alone to do as they pleased, the site got away from that vision, so it's not difficult to understand why they did it.

Ironically, between you and FlightRick, this thread contains some of the highest quality posts on the entire site right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks View Post
    I really like this post, just because I really like it any time someone talks about letting market principles do their thing. But the reality is that the guys who run the site have a vision for it, and when they just left people alone to do as they pleased, the site got away from that vision, so it's not difficult to understand why they did it.

Ironically, between you and FlightRick, this thread contains some of the highest quality posts on the entire site right now.
    An argument against letting so-called "market principles" run their course is that this often leads to cultural products that cater to the least common denominator. Although they'd like to not have to do so, I think that's what Boss-Hog and GIK are trying to get away from by making this new split between the ORG and the Sun Deck. For whatever reason, sports boards that are unregulated often degenerate into glorified game threads where each observation becomes it's own thread with two or three responses.

IMO, the Sun Deck should aspire to reduce the signal to noise ratio much like its older brother. Unfortunately, this becomes difficult when few of the active posters are also mods with the power to effect change.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    That's a very good point, A survival of the fittest posts type thing. However, I don't know if that's happening yet in the Sun Deck. Maybe it just needs time, but at the time that I posted this we had threads at the top that included the announcement of Dunn's sac fly, whether a runner was safe or out last night, and narron picking his lineup out of his hat...
    I agree, there are bad posts in the Sun Deck. There are also bad threads on page 1 of ORG right now (see, e.g., Jr. commercials, Babe Ruth/women and the same thread three times in rage/waiting/can't take it). And because the board is split in 2, good posts have to work twice as hard to knock out the bad posts. Imagine how long (not long at all) a stupid thread would last on a combined board, as the good threads continued to generate response after response while poor threads got no response and sunk to the bottom. But with the board split as it is, the site owners have guaranteed any thread, no matter how little merit, nearly two full days of page 1 attention (note that the bottom thread on ORG goes back to 5/28, Sun Deck post goes back to 5/29).

No offense guys, and I have been on here for a while, it seems that if you dont have those so-called rep points that you were placed in this forum, so be it. I'd rather be with a better class of losers so to speak, than to look up the noses of the posters in the other forum, we offer insight and opinions, and yes humor, one-liners so to speak, thats what makes us human beings.

I am glad to be on the sundeck where it is quite WARMER, but, I dont think that The old Red guard posters should be allowed to infiltrate the Sun deck with their colored comments or their over valued opinions.

Just call us the rebels, where we offer fair remarks even if they are not Old Red Guard politically correct!!!!
    Bowled 12, 300 games, I'm BACK!!

Bowling a 300 game never gets old

Maybe we should split up more people into more forums....

/end sarcasm
    L.A. manager Grady Little had a bad feeling about Wednesday's game when he saw Harang and pitching coach Dick Pole walking in after Harang's warmup.

"I saw two big men," Little said. "Either could have shut us out tonight."

Turn Off Ads?