Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Draft Wishlist

Re: 2007 Draft Wishlist

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    Micheal
    How come people can't spell that name anymore? (not picking on you, it's just a personal bugaboo).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    How come people can't spell that name anymore? (not picking on you, it's just a personal bugaboo).
    Too many people are actually using the alternate spellings.

I was listening to Lance today, and he had one of the BA guys on. They brought up Brackman. He thought that he had slid out of the first round. The claim of fatigue and that he hadn't pitched in three weeks were causes for concern. NC State claims that he is fine physically, just fatigued.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Josh Smoker - Teenager + splitter = arm surgery.
    Hmmm... I've never heard of this. I'm interested because previously, Smoker sounded pretty interesting to me. Do you have more information on this because I would be very interested to know.
    Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 06-05-2007 at 09:40 PM.

16. Devin Mesoraco, c, Punxsutawney (Pa.) HS (30)
    The more players who slide out of the top 10 picks based on signability, the better for Mesoraco, who has asserted himself as a first rounder who was expected to sign quickly for slot money anywhere in the first 30 picks. "He, like Mills, could go in in the top 15 picks, and maybe a plan B as high as nine or 10," an AL scouting director said.
    Punxsutawney Phil? Sorry I had to do that especially after seeing someone stating he ran like crap.....sorta like a groundhog!

On a side note however just to add to the conversation. Terry Reynolds has never in 4 MLB drafts (3 with Toronto) in his current position drafted a HS player. All college so far for him, I would be surprised to see him take anything other than a college guy. And frankly I wouldn't mind it, I think we need a few guys who can make an impact sooner rather than later.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Punxsutawney Phil? Sorry I had to do that especially after seeing someone stating he ran like crap.....sorta like a groundhog!

On a side note however just to add to the conversation. Terry Reynolds has never in 4 MLB drafts (3 with Toronto) in his current position drafted a HS player. All college so far for him, I would be surprised to see him take anything other than a college guy. And frankly I wouldn't mind it, I think we need a few guys who can make an impact sooner rather than later.
    I think you mean Chris Buckley. Renyolds did the 04-05 draft.
    Last edited by Aronchis; 06-05-2007 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Hmmm... I've never heard of this. I'm interested because previously, Smoker sounded pretty interesting to me. Do you have more information on this because I would be very interested to know.
    Well, it's pretty much everyone who throws a splitter outside of Roger Clemens and Curt Schilling who eventually winds up going under the knife.

IIRC, that's part of why the splitter never quite became the pitch of the future after Bruce Sutter. Aside from all the major leaguers who burned out quickly throwing it, a lot of kids who threw it were surgical casualties (Kiki Jones was one if memory serves, did Mike Smith throw one?, can't remember off the top of my head). I'd have to dig around for sources on it, but the splitter went out of vogue at the HS and college levels because kids were breaking too often.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I'm skimming Goldstein's Top 50 on Baseball Prospectus -- I'm starting to trust his work more than anyone else when it comes to amateurs and minor-leaguers, because he seems to get it from both the scouting and analysis sides -- and I'm just happy that the Reds stand a good chance at landing three guys on that list.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Check out this gem from BA's Draft Tracker:

"Sean Doolittle, 1b/lhp, Virginia (NR)
    The presence of Cubs GM Jim Hendry at Virginia's regional this weekend, and new ownership perhaps tightening the purse strings in Chicago, the Cubs could make Doolittle a signability pick at No. 3 overall, despite his talent warranting a spot at their sandwich round pick at 48."

That would essentially move all the other picks up a spot, if it happens. I doubt it will.

I am leaning towards Nick Schimdt right now. Projectable frame and is a bulldog. Could move fast right when Bailey starts putting it together in 2009.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Well, it's pretty much everyone who throws a splitter outside of Roger Clemens and Curt Schilling who eventually winds up going under the knife.

IIRC, that's part of why the splitter never quite became the pitch of the future after Bruce Sutter. Aside from all the major leaguers who burned out quickly throwing it, a lot of kids who threw it were surgical casualties (Kiki Jones was one if memory serves, did Mike Smith throw one?, can't remember off the top of my head). I'd have to dig around for sources on it, but the splitter went out of vogue at the HS and college levels because kids were breaking too often.
    Could that be why the Forkball, essentially a slower version of the splitter, has never caught on as well?

And maybe we'll have to start a pitches thread, but given Carlos Guevara's success as essentially a one trick pony, I am stunned why more guys don't teach the screwball anymore - it's just a reverse 2 seamer but it seems to give everyone at the lower level fits.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the info.

Do you know why that is? Does it put extra stress on the arm? Or to throw it, do you have to throw it in a really wonky fashion?

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Interesting stuff. Thanks for the info.

Do you know why that is? Does it put extra stress on the arm? Or to throw it, do you have to throw it in a really wonky fashion?
    I think it's extra stress, particularly on the shoulder. Someone who pitched would know better than me.

I think it's extra stress, particularly on the shoulder. Someone who pitched would know better than me.
    The grip causes tremendous stress on the tendons of the forearm and elbow.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    I am leaning towards Nick Schimdt right now. Projectable frame and is a bulldog. Could move fast right when Bailey starts putting it together in 2009.
    If we want schmidt we have to take him at 15

I'm an arkansas fan and I just would be wary of him... his ceiling is middle of the rotation starter... he has been a starter since his freshman yr and pitched for team USA so he knows how to pitch big time... but he also has suffered from a large amount of innings...

if by some freak chance hes there in the supp round by all means eat him up!

My top 15 (unrealistic) wishlist:
    1. David Price
    2. Rick Porcello
    3. Matt Wieters
    4. Matt Laporta
    5. Josh Vitters
    6. Mike Moustakas
    7. Matt Dominguez
    8. Jason Heyward
    9. Beau Mills
    10. Ross Detwiler