Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mark Cuban in talks to start another pro football league

Re: Mark Cuban in talks to start another pro football league

Or the Reds?

No, you're definitely right and every point you make is a good one... however, the voracious nature in which the American public inhales anything "FOOTBALL" really makes me think they'd have a legitimate shot to make it work if they controlled costs, league size, and played in appropriate venues. Additionally, I think your idea of targeting cities where there isn't otherwise a significant professional football presence would be smart. (Louisville?)

Also, you can bet your bottom dollar that Cuban will put into HIS league everything that NFL fans dislike the most about theirs. (without becoming a sideshow a la the XFL)
    Last edited by WMR; 05-31-2007 at 12:44 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

There's already a Pro Football League on Friday night. They call it Texas High School Football.

Honestly, I doubt they'd have a franchise in the state of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    however, the voracious nature in which the American public inhales anything "FOOTBALL" really makes me think they'd have a legitimate shot to make it work if they controlled costs and played in appropriate venues.
    I have 3 letters for you: XFL.

Additionally, I think your idea of targeting cities where there isn't otherwise a significant professional football presence would be smart. (Louisville?)
    Maybe, but how gaga are they going to be over a second rate league when they have a big time college program in the same town?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

To your first excerpt, Chip, I added an addendum to my post that somewhat addresses that point.

Hehe, "big time college football programs?" Maybe I misspoke when I said Louisville. How about Lexington??

I think if they created an entertaining product at a reduced cost they would get fans.

I dunno ... I just find the XFL an exceptionally poor example to conclude that another professional football league would be absolutely nonviable in the United States.
    Last edited by WMR; 05-31-2007 at 12:53 AM.

The only pro football league that I can ever see surviving is going to play when the NFL and College aren't, Fridays? not only do you have high school football but also a hand full of college games going on on that day, same for Tuesdays-Thursday, football is a 7 day a week thing now in the fall, go for summer or spring or just give it up.
    Go Gators!

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

The problem is even when the other league had tons of money - IE the USFL, it still couldn't make itself viable.

That's what did in the XFL - not the gimmicks or the sideshows, it was the simple fact that no one really enjoys watching third or 4th tier football - essentially the washouts who couldn't make the NFL, the NFL Europe circuit or the AFL.

The XFL graduated what, 3, maybe 4 players to the NFL? Just poor play and boring football. At least the Arena league spices it up with some wild rules to run up scoring.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Honestly, I doubt they'd have a franchise in the state of Texas.
    I know of a city just a few hours drive down Interstate 35 from Cuban's home in Dallas that would probably be glad to have one of his new teams play some home games on the 300+ open dates/year in its 50,000 seat domed stadium.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 05-31-2007 at 02:56 AM.
    /r/reds

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I was discussing the competition with Texas high school football over PM with WMR. Here are a few points he suggested I make in the thread.

From what I've seen here in the only Texas city I've ever lived in, people who have kids in high school go to games. I don't think high school football's a massive draw for the average sports fan in the big cities like San Antonio.

In cities with 1 high school, they probably do roll up the sidewalks on game nights, just like on Friday Night Lights.

The Alamodome is used for high school football games that draw crowds of a few thousand. My kids' school district has a stadium that seats about 10,000. I've been to games there ~6x and never seen it more than 2/3 full.

The districts with multiple high schools here in SA play games on Thursday night, Friday night, Saturday afternoon and Saturday night. I just don't see the Friday night scheduling as an insurmountable obstacle. The high schools won't like having pro competition, but I don't think they'll outdraw it.
    /r/reds

I hope he does it then he will be too distracted to buy the cubs, and I don't want him improving the cubs!

He is without a doubt one of the best owners in the NBA. He basically took the Mavs from a dismal franchise and turned them into a perinial playoff contender. He takes risks as a business man (HD TV) and this is why he is a billionaire. A football league competing with the NFL is a big risk and I am not sure the payoff would be that great but if anyone can do it Cuban can. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does it.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Turn Off Ads?