Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A-Rod Pulls a Willie Mays Hayes!

A-Rod Pulls a Willie Mays Hayes!

Alex Rodriguez, apparently not satisfied with one controversy on the day, nearly traded blows with the Blue Jays' John McDonald and Howie Clark after apparently calling for a flyball while running the basepaths in the ninth inning Wednesday.

With the Yankees already up by two, A-Rod, running from first to third, seemingly called for the ball while in position behind the third baseman. The third baseman, who had an easy catch lined up, moved off the ball, apparently thinking the shortstop was going to catch it. It ended up dropping. giving Jorge Posada a free RBI single. There wasn't any video evidence that A-Rod actually made the call, but nothing else would have gotten the Jays upset. Manager John Gibbons came out on the field, and after play was set to resume, catcher Jason Phillips apparently said something to Jason Giambi at the plate. Fortunately, the series between the two teams came to an end tonight. If A-Rod had to bat again, the Jays surely would have thrown at him
    I've never seen something like that besides Majoe League.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A-Rod Pulls a Willie Mays Hayes!

I read that and I thought surely it must be a joke. That is about as bush league as it gets, I can see that happening in a beer league softball game or a backyard whiffle ball game but never in a major league game. He's lucky that 3B didn't just go after him right after it happened...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

If that did occur, ARod can expect several in the ribs from the Jays over the next couple of series.

Wow, several of A-Rod's recent tactics have really hovered around the borderline of respectable baseball and bush league. He's too good of a baseball player to be pulling crap like that off.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Wow, several of A-Rod's recent tactics have really hovered around the borderline of respectable baseball and bush league. He's too good of a baseball player to be pulling crap like that off.
    Do you think it would be different if a player like a Ryan Freel, Pete Rose, Darrin Erstard, or any other player of that type did it? The scrappy hustlers who do whatever it takes to win?

When does the point of trying to win a bush league meet?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Do you think it would be different if a player like a Ryan Freel, Pete Rose, Darrin Erstard, or any other player of that type did it? The scrappy hustlers who do whatever it takes to win?

When does the point of trying to win a bush league meet?
    I wouldn't like it if any Reds player did what A-Rod did. Any major league player will tell you that there are unwritten rules that should not be crossed.

thats hilarious.

It worked didn't it? And he didn't get in trouble for it, yet, did he? Then I say fair play. I say you do whatever it takes to win.
    Let's make some noise!

He didn't "call for it", he yelled "Ha" as he ran by. If a major league 3rd baseman can't catch a ball because someone yelled "Ha" then that's on him. They showed it on ESPN you can clearly see his lips, and he didn't say anything more than "Ha".

I don't think it's that big of a deal, but I do think he should be thrown at the next time he faces the Jays.

It's inappropriate if he called for it, but it's still funny. One time in knot hole there was a kid that had no idea what he was doing, and the coach yelled "Run!" to him and just after that I yelled "Come Back!" So the kid turned around and came right back to 1st base as our OF'ers chased the ball down. The ump out on the field and all my teammates were just falling over laughing. The coach of the other team was pretty PO'ed at me and my dad gave me a good talking to when I came back to the inning. But if people are that stupid they just shouldn't be playing the game.

I agree it's bush overall, but if a Reds player did it and it helped score a critical run, then more power to him. Just get ready for the ball in the ribs later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    He didn't "call for it", he yelled "Ha" as he ran by. If a major league 3rd baseman can't catch a ball because someone yelled "Ha" then that's on him. They showed it on ESPN you can clearly see his lips, and he didn't say anything more than "Ha".

I don't think it's that big of a deal, but I do think he should be thrown at the next time he faces the Jays.
    So HE says. The Jays fielders say differently. I've never seen a big leaguer back off a baseball when someone yells "ha" like the jays fielder did. I say he better watch out for fastballs in the ribs next time they play the Jays. And for those of you that say "it's legal", so is drilling a player in the head with a ball when he's at the plate. After all, "it just slipped". There are unwritten rules you don't cross, unless you are bush league. Arod has that label from the playoffs a few years ago when he hit the pitchers arm who was covering first, and this just confirms it. He can try everything bush to win, but he'll never shake the "loser" tag and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    It's inappropriate if he called for it, but it's still funny. One time in knot hole there was a kid that had no idea what he was doing, and the coach yelled "Run!" to him and just after that I yelled "Come Back!" So the kid turned around and came right back to 1st base as our OF'ers chased the ball down. The ump out on the field and all my teammates were just falling over laughing. The coach of the other team was pretty PO'ed at me and my dad gave me a good talking to when I came back to the inning. But if people are that stupid they just shouldn't be playing the game.

I agree it's bush overall, but if a Reds player did it and it helped score a critical run, then more power to him. Just get ready for the ball in the ribs later this year.
    Yeah, that's pretty funny. To embarass a kid that doesn't know how to play the game. That will teach him how to play it the right way. Personally, I'd be the one that was embarassed if I'd have done that.
    Last edited by hebroncougar; 05-31-2007 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_CaseyRules View Post
    It worked didn't it? And he didn't get in trouble for it, yet, did he? Then I say fair play. I say you do whatever it takes to win.
    You may say fair play because you do whatever it takes to win. But the Blue Jays and the rest of baseball won't think so. If that really happened, I will be disappointed if they don't give him a pitch or two in the ribs. There are some things in baseball that you just don't do even if they do help you to win. They might be legal plays but you just don't do it. You don't bunt for a base hit when a guy has a perfect game in the 9th inning, you don't steal a base when your team is up nine runs in the 8th inning, and you don't call for a ball when you are running behind a guy trying to catch a pop up...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Bush league AND illegal.

The definition as stated in Rule 2.00 is:

"(a) Offensive interference is an act by the team at bat which interferes with, obstructs, impedes, hinders or confuses any fielder attempting to make a play. If the umpire declares the batter, batter-runner, or a runner out for interference, all other runners shall return to the last base that was in the judgment of the umpire, legally touched at the time of the interference, unless otherwise provided by these rules."

Yelling at a fielder is interference and A-Rod is out. And he should go to Single A to learn how to play the game the right way.

Oh yes..the un-written rules of baseball that are made up on the fly.

1. You can't steal a base past the 7th inning while up more than 5 runs.
    2. If a guy hits a HR, you have every right to drill the next batter...even though he had nothing to do with it.
    3. Now you can't make any noise while running past a fielder on a fly ball. (but it is perfectly fine to slide 2 feet outside of base path while breaking up a double play)
    4. No stealing of signs (but it is fine to use foreign substances on your hat, glove, corked bat, steriods, if you can get away with it)
    5. Certain pitchers have earned the "right" to get an extra inch or two given their experience.

In NBA, do you not think guys yell at open shooters. In NFL, do you not think Lbers are yelling out fake signals to confuse a QB. Only baseball has this many un-written rules...which in some parts are counter-intuitive to the game itself.

Turn Off Ads?