Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tragedy hits too close to home this time

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Tragedy hits too close to home this time

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story...3-6eed4afb17b4
    Teen Had Too Many Passengers In Deadly Car Crash
    Posted By: Jenell Walton

New Ohio law states a 16-year-old driver can have just one passenger that is not a family member inside their vehicle.

Investigators have released the names of the teenage survivors involved in yesterday's accident in Colerain Township that took the lives of two teenage girls.

The driver was just 16-years-old.

Authorities say he could face charges for simply having more than one passenger in the car.

The driver, Chad Metzcar, and two of his passengers, Dustin and Derek Linderman, are listed in fair condition at Children's Hospital.

A new Ohio law says there should be just one passenger inside a car driven by a 16-year-old driver.

There were four passengers inside the vehicle.

A new Ohio teen driving law went into effect two months ago to try to prevent just what happened along Buell Road yesterday in Colerain Township five teenagers in a car, allegedly speeding, losing control leading to the deaths of two passengers.

"You're dealing with teenagers, inexperienced drivers. By limiting the occupants in the car, you're going to have the greater chance that that driver is paying more attention to what they should be paying attention too which is driving," says Lieutenant Anthony Lauer, of the Ohio State Patrol.

14-year-old friends, Lauren Dietz and Miranda Phelps died at the scene.

Two other passengers, 16-year-old Dustin Linderman and 14-year-old Derek Linderman survived along with the driver, 16-year-old Chad Metzcar.

Ohio law states a 16-year-old driver can only have one passenger that's not a family member inside their car.

The president of the Northwest Local School District Board, Bruce Gehring, says the board will look into ways to try to prevent this from happening again.

"You want to sit down as a board, and as an individual, and sit down and see," Gehring said. "Second guess, is there anything we could have done? Anything we should have done? Anything we can do to prevent this from happening in the future?"

Gehring says he's not sure if anything can be done.

"The fact of the matter is, they were being kids," said Gehring. "Let's face it. The real question I think here is, 'Yes, we have a great Ohio Law. How do we enforce it?'"

Lieutenant Lauer admits enforcing the law is a challenge.

"What you might believe is a 17-year-old, might be a 21-year-old," said Lt. Lauer. "So that's where it's tough for law enforcement to be able to judge."

The driver, Chad Metzcar, does not face any charges at this time.

The Ohio State Patrol is asking parents to sit down with their teen drivers and explain the new law and use this accident as an example of why it's important to follow it.
    This leaves me kind of numb right now. Miranda went to my church and while I didn't know her that well, I knew her father Skip. Skip served several years as our Children's pastor before recently stepping down to serve in a different ministry. There aren't many men better than Skip, nor are you likely to find one with a bigger heart. He is always there when others are struggling, and now he is the one who needs the rest of us. I don't know what to say or even how to pray at this point. The kids are gone and nothing can change that, but the parents are going through unspeakable pain right now and they need those prayers. Our entire church is rather numb at the moment. We had a memorial service last night and did a lot of crying, but this one is goint to take a while getting over.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tragedy hits too close to home this time

I heard about this accident on the local news. It's so tragic.

My son turns 11 today. While I love seeing him grow and start to mature into a fine young man, I also dread each birthday, as they bring us closer to the day he'll drive and ride with other teen drivers.

My sympathies to you and your friends, ORH. I just can't imagine the pain.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14 View Post
    I heard about this accident on the local news. It's so tragic.

My son turns 11 today. While I love seeing him grow and start to mature into a fine young man, I also dread each birthday, as they bring us closer to the day he'll drive and ride with other teen drivers.

My sympathies to you and your friends, ORH. I just can't imagine the pain.
    Matt just turned 10, and I know exactly what you mean, creek. I can't imagine that pain, and I hope I never experience it. Prayers go out to your friends, ORH.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Prayers out to you and your friends ORH. I can't fathom the grief from losing a child that way. I am truly sorry.

My 16 yr. old daughter started driving a couple months ago. We have a standing rule that she can't drive with anyone else in the car for 6 months (except for my wife and I). It's a reciprocating thing too. We don't let our kids ride with anyone who has had their license for less than 6 months. We did this with my son too (he's 19 now). Knock on wood, but he's never had any kind of accident or ticket.

With proper training, kids at that age are capable of driving, but they are so easily distracted by friends, talking, music on the radio, cell phones, etc. You just have to lay down the law of what is and isn't acceptable and explain it to them. And then stick to your guns, even when it isn't very convenient.

I pointed this accident out to her last night and talked about it with her. She understands but is still prone to teen excess. She drove me to her National Honor Society induction last night and I told her she needed to slow down. At which time I got a "OMG Dad, you such a fuddy-dud, I'm not driving that fast". I said "humor me and slow down". At which time I got the teen exasperated huff and eye roll. But she did slow down.

But after all the training and all the talk and all that, you still turn them loose on the road with a car. When they are out for the evening, I have the kids call me before they leave which sometimes is 11-11:30 PM. Every time when that phone rings, I pray it's them and not the state patrol.

Pay attention to the open sky

My daughter turns 10 on Saturday. Here recently she had a really bad spill off of a motor scooter that gave her and the rest of the family a really bad scare.

There's an old saying that the children of police officers and preachers often turn out to be the worst kids and I'm trying to do everything I can to prove that saying wrong before she gets to the age where teenagers like to do the most "exploring and experimenting".

A lot of my family and friends think that I go overboard on the way that I provide for her, but the way that I look at it, if I can do the stuff for her now to head off tragedy in the future it will all be worth it.

She and I scare my wife a lot because my daughter is into Show Jumping with horses and my wife would rather her take a different route with the horses (Dressage).

While I know that I can't stop every potential bad or tragic event I'm sure as heck going to do everything that I can in my power to take preventive measures to keep them from happening.

Yay!

Terribly sorry to hear this, ORH. Prayers out to all family and friends.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Sorry to hear about your friend's daughter, ORH. Losing a child has got to be one of the worst things to go through. I'm sure that your support of him and his family is appreciated.

My oldest is getting his learner's permit this summer. I think back to the stupid chances I took when I was a new driver and I dread having kids who are old enough to drive. My oldest is cautious, like his mother, and seems to absorb the teachable moments we have when I point out things to him when I'm driving. My youngest is more of a carefree risk-taker in the things that I am that way about, so I will probably have more to worry about with him in a few years.
    /r/reds

Prayers for you and the family ORH
    Go Gators!

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    My daughter turns 10 on Saturday. Here recently she had a really bad spill off of a motor scooter that gave her and the rest of the family a really bad scare.

There's an old saying that the children of police officers and preachers often turn out to be the worst kids and I'm trying to do everything I can to prove that saying wrong before she gets to the age where teenagers like to do the most "exploring and experimenting".

A lot of my family and friends think that I go overboard on the way that I provide for her, but the way that I look at it, if I can do the stuff for her now to head off tragedy in the future it will all be worth it.

She and I scare my wife a lot because my daughter is into Show Jumping with horses and my wife would rather her take a different route with the horses (Dressage).

While I know that I can't stop every potential bad or tragic event I'm sure as heck going to do everything that I can in my power to take preventive measures to keep them from happening.
    My Dad would tell you that that "old" saying has some justification - namely because people/society expect more from the children of police officers and preachers, i.e. we had to be good. Me and my sisters (I have no brothers) made sure that we kept on the good side of the law. Dad, being an old salt (20 years in the Navy) and 20 years as a cop (his nickname on the force was "Bulldog") didn't give you much leeway in excuses.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 15-11
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

got alil captain in u?

ORH i live in bridgeport and heard about it on the news very sad story our prayers are with her family

Prayers are with you, ORH.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Always such a tragedy. They just won't listen and think you are stupid; it's just the way it is... until it happens to them. Unfortunately, it's often too late at that point.

There's a whole lot of truth in that old adage "youth is wasted on the young".

Hang in there ORH; I'm sure you will be a comfort to your friend.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Thanks for the kind words. It's been a weird couple days to say the least. We had over 1000 people at the church last night. It was good to see that kind of response. It's just sad that it often takes something like this to bring people out of the woodwork. Anyway, thanks for the thoughts and prayers.

It's such a tragedy when these things happen. My wife and I too had rules for our son about the number of kids he could have in a car with him and how many he could go with. And as others said, we didn't allow other riders until easily past six months.

When my kids started driving, I always told them that my one grandma (who was born some time in the 1890's) always called a car "the machine". I impressed on them that there was a reason Grandma called it that and to never forget you're driving a 2000 lbs. machine down the road and to operate it with the appropriate amount of care and caution knowing that.

I just keep hoping these tragic accidents will wake kids and parents up before its too late.

I'll be keeping your friend and the other family in my prayers.

For those of you who are scared of your kids driving, my advice is: start early. Seriously. I was a terrible driver at 16, not because I was 16, but because my mother was terrified of the idea and refused to give me any training before my birthday. My uncle taught me a bit, and then I was more or less limited to driving school. I think it's safe to say that eight hours or whatever driving training + a fairly simple test on side roads does not really prepare you to drive. Whereas the kids I knew whose parents had started taking them out at 13, 14 were confident drivers who had control.

Kids are responsible by nature or they're not, just the way adults are. If you're worried about how responsible your kid's going to be as a driver, then you're going to be worried about that at 10, at 16, at 30, and not just with regard to driving. If your kid is responsible by nature then you're a step ahead and you've got a great chance to produce a good driver even at 16 -- but don't be scared of it. That's the worst thing I think parents can do. Irresponsible drivers can be any age. But good drivers happen by way of experience. Give them a lot of it.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?