Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dominguez or Ahrens

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: Dominguez or Ahrens

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Does anyone know what Dominguez' plate discipline is like?

One thing IMO that makes Ahren's bat more certain is that he has a solid approach at the plate and is willing to draw walks. I haven't really come accross anything about Dominguez to make a valid comparison here (but I'm making the assumption that his discipline isn't fantastic).

I like the sounds of Ahren's bat, and I find it likely that he will develop into a solid, but not spectacular all around player. Dominguez has the top notch fielding and hitting skills which makes him very intriguing, even if he's a little less polished.

Overall, I find this to be a pretty tough call. I really like Ahren's bat, but I'm not sure if that beats the overall package of Dominguez. When it comes down to it, I find that both would be valid picks. I'd give the edge to Dominguez, but not by a lot.
    From everything I've read on MLB, BA, BP, Baseball Analysts and so on, I'd break it down like this

Dominguez
    Power - Well Above Avg
    Defense - Well Above Avg
    Speed - Above Avg
    Plate Discipline - Avg (Quite Raw)
    Arm - Well Above Avg

Aherns
    Power - Above Avg
    Defense - Above Avg
    Speed - Below Avg
    Plate Discipline - Above Avg
    Arm - Well Above Avg

2. Turn Off Ads?

To me, it sounds like they have a few choices to look over, and so far I don't mind any of them. I hope for a Wieters or Laporta, but can accept a Ahrens or Dominguez.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    From everything I've read on MLB, BA, BP, Baseball Analysts and so on, I'd break it down like this

Dominguez
    Power - Well Above Avg
    Defense - Well Above Avg
    Speed - Above Avg
    Plate Discipline - Avg (Quite Raw)
    Arm - Well Above Avg

Aherns
    Power - Above Avg
    Defense - Above Avg
    Speed - Below Avg
    Plate Discipline - Above Avg
    Arm - Well Above Avg
    That sounds about right. Thanks for the info.

Being the case, Dominguez obviously has the higher upside, while Ahrens is a little more polished. I'd rather have the higher upside player in this case, but Ahrens is also a solid player, one that is more likely to contribute in the majors mostly because he has a better understanding of the strike zone).

Like others, if they pass on Dominguez for Ahrens, I will be a little dissapointed, but I could live with Ahrens.

There were a couple tidbits in regard to the Dominguez / Ahrens debate in the most recent Baseball America chat with Allen Matthews:

Q: Mike from Boston asks: If you had the choice, would you pick Matt Dominguez or Kevin Ahrens?

A: It's a close call but I'd give the slight edge to Dominguez for his defensive ability. As a hitter Ahrens is ahead of Dominguez right now and is a switch hitter, while Dominguez needs to tweak his swing but he has enormous power potential.

In addition, Matthews mentions that he's also hearing the buzz of Ahrens to the Reds and thinks it's a nice pick. Also he mentioned that he likes C Devin Mesoraco's bat better than Ahrens.

This chat was BA member content so the answer was paraphrased to avoid getting into trouble. If you're interested in the full chat / exact quote here is the link:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/onlin...es/264165.html

Mlb.com's latest projection has the Reds taking Ahrens and Dominguez going to the Blue Jays with the very next pick.

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    There were a couple tidbits in regard to the Dominguez / Ahrens debate in the most recent Baseball America chat with Allen Matthews:

Q: Mike from Boston asks: If you had the choice, would you pick Matt Dominguez or Kevin Ahrens?

A: It's a close call but I'd give the slight edge to Dominguez for his defensive ability. As a hitter Ahrens is ahead of Dominguez right now and is a switch hitter, while Dominguez needs to tweak his swing but he has enormous power potential.

In addition, Matthews mentions that he's also hearing the buzz of Ahrens to the Reds and thinks it's a nice pick. Also he mentioned that he likes C Devin Mesoraco's bat better than Ahrens.

This chat was BA member content so the answer was paraphrased to avoid getting into trouble. If you're interested in the full chat / exact quote here is the link:

That is all I need to see. If Dominguez's swing needs work, a tweak to "fix" him could be the difference between boom and bust. Give me Ahrens if the choice is between the two.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

You missed the last part of Matthews' answer there - "but Dominguez has plus-plus raw power and is a plus-plus defender at third base."

I grew up watching Mike Schmidt. Plus-plus power and defense at the hot corner doesn't grow on trees.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    You missed the last part of Matthews' answer there - "but Dominguez has plus-plus raw power and is a plus-plus defender at third base."

I grew up watching Mike Schmidt. Plus-plus power and defense at the hot corner doesn't grow on trees.
    I thought I included it in my original post but I was in a bit of a hurry this morning and must have left it out. Like you said there aren't too many third basemen who have that blend of power and defensive ability and I certainly hope the Reds don't pass over that kind of talent for a guy who plays the same position and doesn't have nearly the same upside.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Does anyone else see the irony in that nmculbreth quoted a certain Redszoner from this thread's question to BA?

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    Does anyone else see the irony in that nmculbreth quoted a certain Redszoner from this thread's question to BA?
    M2 = Mike from Boston?

M2 = Mike from Boston?
    Normally, Yes

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

For what it's worth, Kevin Goldstein's latest Top 50 on Baseball Prospectus -- not a mock draft attempting to predict where they'll go, but a pure talent projection -- has Dominguez 14th and Ahrens 17th.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I'd go for the guy with the bigger upside if I had more faith in the ability of our instructional staff to refine those raw skills. As it stands, I think Ahrens would do me just fine.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    For what it's worth, Kevin Goldstein's latest Top 50 on Baseball Prospectus -- not a mock draft attempting to predict where they'll go, but a pure talent projection -- has Dominguez 14th and Ahrens 17th.
    To give Ahrens credit he keeps rising. I'm a little wary of late climbers in the draft (has that much really changed in two months?), but clearly he's moving into mid first round status.

Given the fact that everybody's had him pegged for the Reds for a few weeks you've got to figure the team has a verbal agreement with Ahrens (if you're there at 15, we'll pick you and you'll sign for $X). It would be hysterical if he got snagged before that.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Dominguez sounds more like a Krivsky like player. Tremendous defensive potential at a infield spot plus a terrific athlete. If the Reds took A over D, I would be shocked, literally floored.

Turn Off Ads?