Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Those Who Lost Old Red Guard Access

Those Who Lost Old Red Guard Access

GIK and I have already received numerous private messages and emails from members who previously had access ORG posting access and no longer do, as of today. I can definitely understand your frustration with that - I really can. However, allow me to at least explain why we felt this was a necessary change for the site in the long run.

When the reputation system was implemented, the variables we were using kept users from getting promoted to the ORG too quickly because reputation "power" was fairly low, since the system was in its infancy. However, speaking in hindsight, as the system evolved and reputation scores climbed higher and higher, posters began to gain access rather easily - I can think of a few non-members that complained about the reputation system, so a few ORG members left positive reputation for them, and before you knew it, they were in the ORG. We also so this happen when a new member joined the board, made a great first post or two, and once they attained the very reachable minimum registration time and post counts, they were in.

Another problem we didn't account for is that people had completely different interpretations as to how the system should work. Some users left reputation for what they perceived to be quality posts, while others gave out positive reputation points for posts they found humorous or to their friends. Some people refused to leave negative reputation altogether. The point is that reputation points became weighted unequally in a variety of different ways, and GIK and I both agreed to do away with the system altogether.

When it became apparent that we were looking at making drastic changes, we were also in agreement that we should select a set number of existing ORG users whose posts and attitude towards others best exemplify the values that the site was founded upon. Along with input from the moderators, we trimmed the existing ORG access list down from over 450 to 240 because we felt it was a necessary step, due to the inflation that had occurred with the reputation system. That's not to say that those who no longer have access didn't deserve to be there (although I do feel that way about a handful of people). It is, however, a necessary evil in order to cut down the revised ORG member list to a number that GIK and I felt comfortable with.

I can personally say that the last 50 or so users I elminated off my revised list were very difficult decisions. Besides the two most important factors (quality of posts and how well they treat other members), some of the criteria I considered were how long the user has been registered, how often they post, if they have contributed to the site financially and if they've broken site rules in the past, and if so, how often and to what degree. Those were just some of the factors I used to help make a very difficult decision as to who should be on the ORG list. GIK and I also agreed that it would be much better to have too few initial ORG members and allow for deserving posters to get in via the new process, as opposed to having too many posters in the ORG - some of whom probably should not be there.

Finally, please do not continue to private message or email GIK, the moderators or I asking why you no longer have access. With only a handful of exceptions, there is no single reason, but it's a matter of us starting with a number that each of us felt comfortable with moving forward. All questions and concerns about the new system should be posted in this forum.

I sincerely hope that you stick around and continue to make quality posts in the Sun Deck. With ORG members no longer posting there, your posts will especially stand out. If enough people feel that you should be a part of the ORG, I'm confident that you will be there again before long.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Those Who Lost Old Red Guard Access

So what happens if this system doesn't work? Is everybody who got recieved privleges to the ORG going to lose them again, and then once again have to work our way up the chain?

For some posters, I get why you took back their privleges for the ORG, but for a poster like OBM, a poster who had over 1,000 rep points (or something like that), that makes no sense.

You don't get 1,000 rep points on accident.
    Last edited by reds44; 05-21-2007 at 06:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    So what happens if this system doesn't work? Is everybody who got recieved privleges to the ORG going to lose them again, and then once again have to work our way up the chain?

For some posters, I get why you took back their privleges for the ORG, but for a poster like OBM, a poster who had over 1,000 rep points (or something like that), that makes no sense.

We don't get 1,000 rep points on accident.
    These changes are here for good. There may be some tweaks along the way, such as the minimum number of total ORG votes required, or other variables in the voting process, but we've spent considerable time thinking this through, along with input from a large amount of valued opinions.

In any event, you don't have to worry about that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    These changes are here for good. There may be some tweaks along the way, such as the minimum number of total ORG votes required, or other variables in the voting process, but we've spent considerable time thinking this through, along with input from a large amount of valued opinions.

In any event, you don't have to worry about that happening.
    And when will we be able to apply for reinstatement? Also, this there any particular reason the Sun Deck can't have a game thread?
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

And when will we be able to apply for reinstatement? Also, this there any particular reason the Sun Deck can't have a game thread?
    I'm working on the first part right now. As far as your second question, that was done for a variety of reasons, but the short answer is that we strongly felt that the existing game threads were a complete mess in their current state (due in part to both former ORG and RL posters).

I agree completely that the previous game threads were a mess, and it was the reason I never posted in the game threads. I would often try to sit down with the game and thread but the thread just got out of control. I personally wish you had just picked out the members of the ORG that were causing problems rather than trimming down the amount of members so drastic. Yes, I know that I did not post as often as many people but that doesn't mean I/or people similar to me weren't reading and making the occasionaly post when appropriate. I just believe that we had earned our way to the 'elite' section and because a few people bypassed the system many had to suffer. If you review my posts in which I earned reputation you will certainly see that they were quality posts and deserving of earning ORG access. We were invited into the system and then kicked out, how do you know the feeling if you are the one making the decisions for the site.

Will there be an announcement when we are able to apply for reinstatement?
    Let's make some noise!

Redszone has been become a giant popularity contest/clique. I'm tired of it, I'm going to go somewhere where I can discuss Reds baseball without all the bull.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    Redszone has been become a giant popularity contest/clique. I'm tired of it, I'm going to go somewhere where I can discuss Reds baseball without all the bull.
    Please feel free.

Please feel free.
    And yourself, to burn bridges between myself and many others of Reds fans.

I'm disappointed but I respect Boss's and GIK's decision.

And sorry to Boss and Chip - I sent both of you guys PM's asking why I was no longer available to post in ORG. I sent that before I read this thread.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 05-21-2007 at 07:58 PM.

I'm working on the first part right now. As far as your second question, that was done for a variety of reasons, but the short answer is that we strongly felt that the existing game threads were a complete mess in their current state (due in part to both former ORG and RL posters).
    Boss, couldn't somebody just PM you with their request and then you could make a thread for them, and if they recieve the 50 votes then you could give them access?

Or would that not work.

I do see where I could get under some people's skin with my game thread posts, but I haven't even really posted in the game threads a lot lately. I've seen trying to avoid them due to that reason. Guess I was a little too late.

Boss, couldn't somebody just PM you with their request and then you could make a thread for them, and if they recieve the 50 votes then you could give them access?

Or would that not work.
    Yes, I could do that, but I'd rather get the system working properly instead of a short term solution such as that.

I guess when it comes down to it, I'm not made about not being in the ORG, I'm hurt more then anything. I take pride in being a good poster and a good Reds fan. I try to input knowledge and useful posts. I know sometimes I have beaten a dead horse (Edwin), but the only reason I did it is because I am a huge Reds fan and I thought/think the Reds were/are making a huge mistake.

To see that leader of the site doesn't think I am in the top 240 posters hurts. I guess there is nothing I can do about that now except move on and try to gain access.

Turn Off Ads?