Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New sub-forum for the other 29 teams?

Re: New sub-forum for the other 29 teams?

One of the things I said I'd miss with the changes is interacting with the occasional drop-in from other team's fans.

I don't have any ideas on how you'd implement it, but I'd welcome it as some sort of sub-forum. I still interact occasionally with some of those dastardly Cardinal fans from the cincy.com days.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

2. Turn Off Ads?

Personally I think it'll just add more clutter to the place and split things up even more, but it's not something that will bother me too much I suppose. I do find it odd that we're talking about adding a forum where all members of the site can get together and talk about every Major League team except the one we all actually care about.

I agree that one segment of our audience that suffers with the recent changes is fans of other teams that occassionally visit the board. I did my best to account for this in the original ORG member list by giving access to a few of our long-time contributors who are fans of other teams (as well as valued users of the site), but that obviously doesn't account for new members.

Personally, I like RedsManRick's idea - create a new visitors forum where all registered members can access, but only those who are infrequent visitors to the site (whatever that reason may be) would be able to start new threads. The example that M2 provided (an Indians fan who wants to discuss the upcoming Reds-Indians series) fits this category, as does TangoTiger. Everyone would be able to respond to threads that the visitors create.

This forum would not be used for ORG/SunDeck members to post non Reds related baseball discussion; those threads would remain in the appropriate baseball forum. It would only be used to give those who infrequently visit the board (fans of other teams and other special instances an opportunity to interact with all forum members.

This site is for Reds Fans, by Reds Fans. So, I say no special privileges for fans of other teams.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    This site is for Reds Fans, by Reds Fans. So, I say no special privileges for fans of other teams.

Totally disagree. I'd like to make it an inviting place for fans of other teams. We've met some pretty cool contributors over the years from other fan bases.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Totally disagree. I'd like to make it an inviting place for fans of other teams. We've met some pretty cool contributors over the years from other fan bases.
    I agree with you. This site is first and foremost for Reds fans, but that doesn't mean we should thumb our nose up at fans of other teams, particularly given the contributions we've received from the latter group over the years.

So we can interact with fans of other teams more than we can with reds fans here who are on the sundeck forum? Doesn't make much sense to me.

We're talking about users who drop by to post an occassional message that would otherwise have no chance at receiving Old Red Guard access.

Myabe we could have a cap as far as number of posts allowed on that subforum before they have to register here at RZ and go through the normal process of getting ORG access?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Also, just to throw it out there, instead of creating an entirely new forum, what about keeping things simple and just expanding the scope of this forum a bit to cover these visitors?

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Also, just to throw it out there, instead of creating an entirely new forum, what about keeping things simple and just expanding the scope of this forum a bit to cover these visitors?
    In what way?

They can post in SD since they don't meet ORG guidelines? But then ORG members can't talk to them.

They can post in ORG even though they don't meet ORG guidelines? Inherently unfair to SD members and they can't talk to them.

Overall, I think this is a bad idea but if you're going to do it set up a seperate forum and call it 'Out of Town Talk' or something and let everyone post there to their heart's content.

Or, simply go to one board and let everyone talk to each other without all of this other nonsense.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    In what way?

They can post in SD since they don't meet ORG guidelines? But then ORG members can't talk to them.

They can post in ORG even though they don't meet ORG guidelines? Inherently unfair to SD members and they can't talk to them.

Overall, I think this is a bad idea but if you're going to do it set up a seperate forum and call it 'Out of Town Talk' or something and let everyone post there to their heart's content.

Or, simply go to one board and let everyone talk to each other without all of this other nonsense.

Rem
    Everyone can post in the Introductions and Site Feedback Forum, ORG members and SD members. Boss was saying add the subforum onto this forum so that everyone could discuss topics with our out of town visitors. I'm fine with that idea.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

In what way?

Rem
    I was talking specifically about this forum (i.e. Introductions and Site Feedback) and not the board as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I was talking specifically about this forum (i.e. Introductions and Site Feedback) and not the board as a whole.
    OK. Thanks for the clarification.

Rem

In what way?

Rem
    I'm starting to think the same way. Must be the water in California.

Turn Off Ads?