Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New sub-forum for the other 29 teams?

New sub-forum for the other 29 teams?

One thing that can't happen with the new system is for fans of other teams to mosey over here and interact with the ORG folks.

Would folks be interested in having a sub-forum where if a Pirates or Indians fan wanted to come in and kick around some topics about their teams that everyone - ORG and SD - could join in? A lot of these folks tend to be well-known posters in their teams' Redszone equivalents and, while they probably won't be consistent posters on the board, it would certainly be nice to welcome them in when there's actual or possible trades or a series between the Reds and their team or just to discuss general horse race issues.

I figure it could be like the minor league forum.

I'm curious to hear whether folks think it's a good or lousy idea? People might not care either way too, but you never know whether folks will pick up it and run with it if you don't toss it out there.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: New sub-forum for the other 29 teams?

Just curious, but would your proposal mean that ALL talk of other teams would be relegated to that forum, or just talk originating from the keyboards of non-Reds fans?

For example if I wanted to talk about that play Nomar made last night, which forum?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Just curious, but would your proposal mean that ALL talk of other teams would be relegated to that forum, or just talk originating from the keyboards of non-Reds fans?

For example if I wanted to talk about that play Nomar made last night, which forum?
    To be honest, I don't know. I don't think you should siphon off all talk about other teams, but it would be nice if an Angels or Rangers fan who wanted to talk about those upcoming series (perhaps they're visiting Cincinnati for the first time) was able to access the full membership.

Personally, I like the idea, but I can see a couple good / bad points to it.

1) Good - it will create more traffic to the site, more interest, allow another forum for ORG and SD members to interact, and be another "feeder" forum for the ORG.

2) Bad - it will create more traffic to the site, use more bandwidth, require more moderation or more time/work for the current mods.

In the end, I could see it requiring heavy moderation like RZ was a couple years ago before the rep system was implemented. Not sure if that's what GIK/Boss want at this point in time. Like I said, I'd like that as I myself am interested in more teams than just the Reds.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

M2, are you more afraid of losing the opportunity to interact with those drive-by visitors or of how SD posters will respond if the drive-by visitors are trash-talkers?

It sounds like you're more worried about the former. Both seem like core issues to me, although in the second case, I think SD posters can distinguish themselves in how they respond (or don't respond) to those visitors.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    M2, are you more afraid of losing the opportunity to interact with those drive-by visitors or of how SD posters will respond if the drive-by visitors are trash-talkers?

It sounds like you're more worried about the former. Both seem like core issues to me, although in the second case, I think SD posters can distinguish themselves in how they respond (or don't respond) to those visitors.
    You realize that we can hear you? We're standing right here.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    You realize that we can hear you? We're standing right here.
    Oh, I'm well aware of where I posted this.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post

Sure, I'd like the opportunity to interact with the drive-by visitors from other teams. My guess is many of those folks would also like the chance to interact with the ORG membership.

I figure the SD folks will comport themselves just fine, but I'm looking at this as an area (like the minor leagues) where it might make sense to have the full membership in the tent.

I like this idea. I don't how often it would get used or how hard it would be to set up and moderate but I like the premise.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I like this idea. I don't how often it would get used or how hard it would be to set up and moderate but I like the premise.
    I think if you were going to do something like this, go with something similar to SOSH.

Maybe add these boards.

Cincinnati Bengals
    Cleveland Browns
    Cincinnati Bearcats
    Ohio St Buckeyes
    Kentucky Wildcats
    Pittsburgh Pirates
    Cleveland Indians

As far as moderators go, add another two or three and possibly assign one moderator control over a subforum instead of everybody looking out. These forums probably would not generate much activity to garner a need for much moderation.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    1) Good - it will create more traffic to the site, more interest, allow another forum for ORG and SD members to interact, and be another "feeder" forum for the ORG.

2) Bad - it will create more traffic to the site, use more bandwidth, require more moderation or more time/work for the current mods.
    I think it's a great idea, M2. RL, IMHO, I don't see #2 occurring. We have had posters from other teams coming here for a long time, and to my knowledge, it's never created a bandwidth problem (they don't visit often enough for that to happen) or any other kind of problem.

I'm sure they won't be flocking here any more than they ever did. Occasional visits and conversation with Ramp, Swamp Turkey, and Matty Mo are really missed. (those are the ones that came to me off the top of my head)
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

As long as people don't suddenly start using the "other baseball teams forum" as a way to bypass the intent of the recient changes, I think it might be a nice addition. Definatley will increase mod workload.

Not that anyone here would ever dream in a million years to try to skirt around the rules.

Why not just call it a visitors forum and only allow posters with under a certain number of posts or with special permissions for regular "guests" to create new threads -- with everybody given the ability to respond.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I like this idea alot.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I like this idea quite a bit - while I do love the Reds, I also enjoy talking about the other teams quite a bit.

Turn Off Ads?