Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Some Tough Bullpen Decisions Loom.

Threaded View

Re: Some Tough Bullpen Decisions Loom.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Just to be clear, I was answering the question "What do you do in the next 2-3 weeks" that was posed in the original post.
    I know, and you were actually playing fair by answering the original question, whereas I was cheating because I simply can't compel myself to look at this team through the prism of the short-term. Krivsky's by-the-numbers approach to this team, and this bullpen in particular, is what has me fearful for the future. I don't think we should be in any hurry to rush Guardado back at this juncture, as I presume his trade value is less than minimal coming off injury, and with such a short period to demonstrate his health. If anything, he stands to decrease Weathers' value, if he impacts Weathers' effectiveness or the numbers Weathers is compiling.

Anything which makes Wayne believe that we're contenders rather than rebuilders, that we're buyers rather than sellers, that the status quo of trying to attain .500 ball rather than trying to design a champion from the ground up, or that we're better off riding the veterans than developing the youngsters... just further prolongs our plight, in my opinion. We're in a terribly weak division, where we can draw to within 5 games, by playing .400 ball (that's frightening). I don't want a GM who doesn't understand our status, and who, at the expense of young talent development, wants to try to ride the vets back into contention, simply because we're within shouting distance of the division leaders (despite our utter ineptitude). Nonetheless, that's what I fear we have on our hands.

Wayne could make a bold statement by delaying the recall of Guardado for a while, by demonstrating his willingness to cut ties with past mistakes, and to part with veterans in favor of putting in the time necessary to develop the youngsters. The current 'prospects' (Coutlangus, Salmon, Burton etc...) need the time to experience a variety of situations (not just mop-up August and September games), and the guys on the horizon (McBeth, Medlock etc...) are going to need the space to get here and eventually audition, as well.

Only then will we know what we have, and what we need... and that *can't* happen, if we vainly devote June, July, (August?) to continually going to the veteran well. And, if the NL Central continues to freefall, we could stay bad, but 'in contention', so long that Wayne decides not to even part with his veterans, much less concede to giving youngsters auditioning time (especially given Narron's veteran predilictions and bullpen usage). That worries me, as we've been down this path before.

Delay the recall of Guardado if he's trying to rush back; be bold enough to part company with experiments that haven't worked (Stanton, Majewski - if he shows no signs of improvement, Santos - if the role can be filled by a youngster etc...); and do all of this with a devotion to a consistent plan that allows for evaluation, development and acquisition of the parts necessary to rebuild a viable young bullpen (and overall team).

P.S. Thanks RedsmanRick, but others would be far more qualified than myself for that GM task (including yourself), but Cyclone (or M2) is a nice place to start.
    Last edited by Stormy; 05-31-2007 at 01:42 PM.

Turn Off Ads?