Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some Tough Bullpen Decisions Loom.

Some Tough Bullpen Decisions Loom.

Over the next 2-3 weeks, this organization is going to have some very tough calls to make in regards to the bullpen. Eddie Guardado would seem like he's not far away, assuming all goes well with his rehab and Todd Coffey has pitched well so far for the Bats down in Louisville. You wouldn't think he's going to be down there too much longer.

Here is the way the bullpen is constructed right now (I'll leave Livingston out of the picture):

Jarrod Burton
    Jon Coutlangus
    Gary Majewski
    Brad Salmon
    Victor Santos
    Mike Stanton
    David Weathers

Weathers and Majewski are guarenteed safe. It's possible that any one out of the remaining group of five could be on the hot seat when Guardado and Coffey are ready to go (and let's not forget Bill Bray).

All have pitched well at times, all have pitched poorly at times. You'd think Santos will be kept as the long man and Stanton will be kept because of his contract situation (and honestly, he's not pitched that badly of late). You'd think Burton's safe because of his Rule 5 status. That leaves Coutlangus and Salmon (a righty and lefty), both of whom have pitched pretty well. Will it come down to a numbers game? Will it come down to who has options and who doesn't despite performance?

What do you do?

And please try and keep ideas/thoughts realistic. Chances are Mike Stanton is not going to be DFA'd, like I'm sure most are going to call for.

It's going to be an interesting next week or two.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Some Tough Bullpen Decisions Loom.

What makes Majewski guaranteed safe?

I'd say the only safe guy is Burton because Rule V demands he be on the roster (interestingly, he's the only Reds pitcher with a sub-4.00 ERA too). Weathers could very well find himself dealt to another team.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

If Eddie Guardado is ready to go, I have no problems optioning Coutlangus to AAA to make room for him. He is the major league team's closer. You have to make room for him no matter how hard the decision.

When Coffey is ready to roll, I don't have a problem optioning Salmon, either. You have to have your best players on the major league team and although Salmon is a good relief pitcher, I believe Cofffey, when right, is better.

When Bray is ready to come off the DL, then you can look at possibly trading or DFA'ing Staton, IMO, as I do think Bray in for Stanton would further improve the bullpen.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Why is Majewski garaunteed safe? I don't think I buy that.

Salmon could get sent down if they want to callup Coffey. Couter may have to get demoted as well if Stanton isn't traded. With Guardado and Bray coming up, I doubt Jerry wants four lefties in the pen.

Santos and Weathers could end being traded in the next month so that could open up a couple of spots.

Key moment is July 31. Reds will straddle several of these guys between Cincy and Louisville, until then.

At July 31, Reds should try to trade Stanton and Weathers to make room for young relievers. Possible Santos and Maj could be moved too. At that point, things will open up.

Unless, by some miracle, the Reds are really in the Central hunt, in which case the veteran types will probably stick around for awhile.

I think there will be a market for some of these relievers at the deadline, although wouldn't expect too much in return and may have to contribute to two-year contract payoff.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    What makes Majewski guaranteed safe?
    Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Why is Majewski garaunteed safe? I don't think I buy that.

Gotta justify that trade, man.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Stanton is pretty untradeable considering his age, contract, and...uh..."pitching", if you want to call it that.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Man Pills

Majewski and Stanton have no business collecting a MLB paycheck.

They should vanish at the first sign of competence in the minors.

And Brad Salmon and Jon Coutlangus should be given a leash the length I'd give a guy like Brian Shackelford--that is, very short.

Burton is the only guy from the X-factor group showing a real ability to K people in a small sample--though his wildness still bugs me.

So, the "stable" guys are Weathers and Santos. Awful. Just ineffably terrible.

I hate to say it, but I think Eddie Guardado is pulling a Jose Rijo and rushing his comeback waaaaay too fast. I know the guy is a gamer and wants back more than anything, but some things just take time.

I certainly don't want it to happen, but I'm just waiting to hear about "some soreness in his elbow" that turns into "out for the season" and beyond.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Stanton is pretty untradeable considering his age, contract, and...uh..."pitching", if you want to call it that.
    Most likely. Coutlangus will get optioned to make room for Bray or Guardado. Three lefties in the pen with Stanton, Bray, and Guardado. Add Coffey, Majewski, Burton, and Weathers and the pen is still terrible.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

As mentioned in the minor league thread, Medlock and Guevara's combined relief numbers in AA:

60.1 IP
    78 K's
    11 BB's
    .93 WHIP

Add that Pelland has also been dominating since being put in the pen.

Now, McBeth, Coffey, and Salmon's numbers in AAA-Louisville:

24.2 IP
    29 K's
    5 BB's
    .76 WHIP

Within a year, I would like to see all 6 of these arms given a chance in the bullpen. They have proven they miss bats at every level. They are ready and have nothing more to prove. Plus, when you consider that all 6 would cost less than a year of Mike Stanton, there really is no reason to not give them all a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I hate to say it, but I think Eddie Guardado is pulling a Jose Rijo and rushing his comeback waaaaay too fast. I know the guy is a gamer and wants back more than anything, but some things just take time.

I certainly don't want it to happen, but I'm just waiting to hear about "some soreness in his elbow" that turns into "out for the season" and beyond.
    I think Easy Eddie's biological pitching clock is ticking, henceforth the "sense of urgency".
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    As mentioned in the minor league thread, Medlock and Guevara's combined relief numbers in AA:

60.1 IP
    78 K's
    11 BB's
    .93 WHIP

Add that Pelland has also been dominating since being put in the pen.

Now, McBeth, Coffey, and Salmon's numbers in AAA-Louisville:

24.2 IP
    29 K's
    5 BB's
    .76 WHIP

Within a year, I would like to see all 6 of these arms given a chance in the bullpen. They have proven they miss bats at every level. They are ready and have nothing more to prove. Plus, when you consider that all 6 would cost less than a year of Mike Stanton, there really is no reason to not give them all a shot.
    I've always been a big fan of taking borderline SP prospects like Pelland and moving them to the bullpen.

I'm also a fan of calling up AAA relievers and letting them cut their teeth at in the sixth and seventh innings of ballgames. Especially when the season is a lost cause anyway.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

As I brought up a couple of weeks ago when talking about Guardado, I think older pitchers will actually come back from Tommy John surgery than younger pitchers. We saw it last year with Merker(not exactly a ringing endorsement.)

If a young pitcher has surgery, they'll baby him back knowing they are preparing him for the long haul.
    When Guardado comes back, he's trying to make it to October. He's not worried about next year as this is probably his last year anyway.
    In his mind, if he goes two months and the elbow pops, it's no different than coming in at the end of July and pitching to the end of the season.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Man Pills

For the first time in a long time, we have a very good opportunity to see what some of the minor leaguers can do over a months-long period; that should give us the opportunity to properly evaluate what we have and what we don't. Instead of just going on 15 innings from some callup and declaring him the "future" or "dogmeat" based on that small sample, now we can see these kids endure their lumps and see who's standing at the end.

Turn Off Ads?