Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds ownership should step up in draft

Reds ownership should step up in draft

Some highly rated player will fall because of salary demands or Boras factor. If this ownership is true to its word, and I hope they are, the Reds cannot skimp on its high draft choices this year. The team has underperformed; it didn't spend big in the off-season; the minor league system is the hope of the organization,

Reds have a number of high picks this year. They should go for the top available prospects. Fans are tired of compromise selections. Not saying any particular one was a compromise -- but we all know that, in the past, some have been.

This off-season, I was hoping for another Harang/Arroyo type pitcher. Didn't happen. Owner says team not ready to spend on major free agents. Was very disheartened watching Lincecum the other night. Another electric arm passed by in the draft -- financial reasons again?

Team needs to go for it in the draft.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds ownership should step up in draft

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Some highly rated player will fall because of salary demands or Boras factor. If this ownership is true to its word, and I hope they are, the Reds cannot skimp on its high draft choices this year. The team has underperformed; it didn't spend big in the off-season; the minor league system is the hope of the organization,
    I agree, I think the draft will go a long way to proving how serious this ownership group is about building a competitive franchise. Drafting the best player available regardless of his representation or signing bonus demands (i.e. Wienters, Brackman, etc) would go a long way to showing me that Castellini is willing to put his money where his mouth is.

This off-season, I was hoping for another Harang/Arroyo type pitcher. Didn't happen. Owner says team not ready to spend on major free agents.
    This forum probably isn't the place for this discussion but I don't think this is a fair criticism. There were no Arroyo / Harang quality pitchers available on the free agent market and the best of the sad crop were vastly overpaid. I applaud Krivsky for not overspending just for the sake of making a "big splash" (i.e. Eric Milton).

Was very disheartened watching Lincecum the other night. Another electric arm passed by in the draft -- financial reasons again?
    There is a whole thread devoted to Lincecum so there really isn't a need to go into detail here but I think it's safe to say the Reds passed on him for reasons other than signability.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Yes, hopefully we see the last of punting picks and Mark Schramek's.

God, please give me a reason to have faith in this organization.

Just step up and make smart picks. I doubt the Reds took on extra picks unless they were willing to spend more on the draft. The only reason they got a extra pick in 2002, was because they passed on the 2001 pick. But if you think they can outspend the big boys, forgetaboutit.

This is the most picks the Reds have had this early since the Bronze age.

Isn't that kind of what they tried when they drafted Espinoza and Sardinha and gave them big league contracts?

No, because those contracts were a sleight-of-hand in lieu of actually paying the required bonus.

I absolutely agree. If this franchise has the money to burn on guys like Stanton, it can budget a couple of million for the best of the best at 15, including any fallers...

thorn

Has there been any indication of the current ownership not willing to draft a player due to money? I know several teams, not just the Reds, who passed on Boras clients, hopefully that won't be a factor for the Reds, but if it is, I don't think we will be the only ones.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    No, because those contracts were a sleight-of-hand in lieu of actually paying the required bonus.

I absolutely agree. If this franchise has the money to burn on guys like Stanton, it can budget a couple of million for the best of the best at 15, including any fallers...
    That money was earmarked for player payroll, not developmental budgets.

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    Has there been any indication of the current ownership not willing to draft a player due to money? I know several teams, not just the Reds, who passed on Boras clients, hopefully that won't be a factor for the Reds, but if it is, I don't think we will be the only ones.
    All I know is that Lincecum, a Boras guy, was passed over last year. Maybe it was because of his size, delivery, whatever, but today it looks like a pretty questionable baseball decision. Guy throws high nineties with good command.

I really don't care what other teams do. The Reds may not be the "only ones" to pass on Boras clients, but no team suffers more from signability drafting. Gruler over Kazmir. The whole Sowers thing. The whole Espinoza/Sardhina thing. Arguably Stubbs/Lincecum. Schramek with a second round pick. See a pattern?

If Mr. Castellini is truly interested in winning, he needs to show it in this draft. Reds with multiple high picks have a big opportunity. They don't sign premium free agents, they don't trade for star players. They don't compete for top international guys. They need to draft very well.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

All I know is that Lincecum, a Boras guy, was passed over last year. Maybe it was because of his size, delivery, whatever, but today it looks like a pretty questionable baseball decision. Guy throws high nineties with good command.

I really don't care what other teams do. The Reds may not be the "only ones" to pass on Boras clients, but no team suffers more from signability drafting. Gruler over Kazmir. The whole Sowers thing. The whole Espinoza/Sardhina thing. Arguably Stubbs/Lincecum. Schramek with a second round pick. See a pattern?

If Mr. Castellini is truly interested in winning, he needs to show it in this draft. Reds with multiple high picks have a big opportunity. They don't sign premium free agents, they don't trade for star players. They don't compete for top international guys. They need to draft very well.
    Coming out of the draft Lincecum had serious control problems. His senior year in college he posted his BEST walk rate of his college career and it was still over 4 walks per 9 innings.

I also wouldnt put Stubbs in the category with the other picks. If the Reds had passed on Stubbs, he was slated to go a few picks later, so its not like the Reds took a large leap of faith taking him.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Coming out of the draft Lincecum had serious control problems. His senior year in college he posted his BEST walk rate of his college career and it was still over 4 walks per 9 innings.

I also wouldnt put Stubbs in the category with the other picks. If the Reds had passed on Stubbs, he was slated to go a few picks later, so its not like the Reds took a large leap of faith taking him.
    I agree that Stubbs has a future. Not saying he's a zero, far from it.

But it always seems like the Reds pass on the obvious, big name guys. And last year, while perhaps justifiable, was similar. For once, I'd like to see the Reds get the big, fancy name and let someone else argue that they got a "hidden gem."

In terms of the first round pick, the only recent Reds GM with great success was DanO. He just nailed it with Bailey and Bruce. Not knocking Kriv's draft overall, but I want to see more Baileys and Bruces, and it is possible one can drop into the Reds' lap at 15 this year. If they are willing to pay the price for him.

Lincecum's signing bonus was $25k more than what Stubbs was given so I think it's safe to say the money wasn't what made them look elsewhere. You can certainly debate whether or not Stubbs was the best player available but I don't think it's fair to consider Stubbs a bargain pick. Like Doug pointed out Stubbs wouldn't have slipped far if the Reds would have passed on him. After all he was considered to be a consensus top ten selection and he's considered to have one of the highest (if not the highest) ceilings in the entire draft.

Stubbs wasn't my pick but I think he's unfairly criticized and underrated by a lot of Reds fans. If he can hit for just a decent batting average he can be a special player and make a big contribution to this franchise.

Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    That money was earmarked for player payroll, not developmental budgets.
    Well, then it's time to reallocate some money from Wayne's AARP budget.

Turn Off Ads?