Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Salty solution

Salty solution

From Jayson Stark's Rumblings today:

In Atlanta, multitalented rookie catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia has started taking ground balls at first base as the Braves try to figure out his future with the trading deadline approaching. "We have our franchise catcher [Brian McCann]," GM John Schuerholz said. "So who knows what will happen? We could find another place for Salty to play. Or somebody else could want him and make us an offer where we say to ourselves, 'This is a deal that makes sense for us and for him and for everybody.'"

Figure out what it takes, and go get this guy. Between Griffey, Lohse, Hatteberg, and any minor leaguer not named Bailey Bruce or Votto, I'm sure we could offer up something they would like. They do need a 1B for the stretch run. I would offer Hatteberg, Lohse, and Vailaka to see if they bite.

What do you think it would take?
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Re: Salty solution

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    From Jayson Stark's Rumblings today:

In Atlanta, multitalented rookie catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia has started taking ground balls at first base as the Braves try to figure out his future with the trading deadline approaching. "We have our franchise catcher [Brian McCann]," GM John Schuerholz said. "So who knows what will happen? We could find another place for Salty to play. Or somebody else could want him and make us an offer where we say to ourselves, 'This is a deal that makes sense for us and for him and for everybody.'"

Figure out what it takes, and go get this guy. Between Griffey, Lohse, Hatteberg, and any minor leaguer not named Bailey Bruce or Votto, I'm sure we could offer up something they would like. They do need a 1B for the stretch run. I would offer Hatteberg, Lohse, and Vailaka to see if they bite.

What do you think it would take?

The Braves will ask for (and get) much more than that.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Ken Rosenthal was actually on XM earlier this week and said that he hadn't heard any rumors about it, but a Junior to Atlanta for Salty straight up made a huge amount of sense for both sides.

Would Francouer move to LF for Jr?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

I thought had something to do with saline.

Pay attention to the open sky

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

The Reds already have 3 catchers. Why would they want another one?

Dunn and Hatteberg/Freel might get the conversation started. Atlanta's 40-man is short on outfielders, and Andruw Jones is likely gone at the end of the year. I doubt they want to find a centerfielder and a leftfielder on the free agent market this coming offseason, so the chance to sign Dunn long-term may be very appealing to them.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Give salty his own salute

Disarm the settlers
    The new drunk drivers
    Have hoisted the flag
    We are with you in your anger
    Proud brothers
    Do not fret
    The bus will get you there yet
    To carry us to the lake
    The club is open
    Yeah, The club is open
    Hey, the club is open
    A-come on, come on, the club is open
    C'mon, c'mon, the club is open
    C'mon, c'mon, c'mon, the club is open...

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Would Francouer move to LF for Jr?
    ooohhhh. Would Junior be willing to go?
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    ooohhhh. Would Junior be willing to go?
    Does it mean a pennant chase? Can the Braves get there at the end with the Mets is the question?

I don't think the Braves will take the entire contract, IMO.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Dunn and Hatteberg/Freel might get the conversation started. Atlanta's 40-man is short on outfielders, and Andruw Jones is likely gone at the end of the year. I doubt they want to find a centerfielder and a leftfielder on the free agent market this coming offseason, so the chance to sign Dunn long-term may be very appealing to them.
    Right.

The Braves might ask for Dunn, and if I'm Wayne I laugh and ask them to call back when theyre serious.

Votto I could understand. Griffey is realistic. Dunn is outrageous.

However I don't think they'd ask for Votto because they like the left-handed hitting Scott Thorman at 1B. So I'd offer Griffey, and if they refuse to take on his salary in full, I'd pick up 1/3 of it to get the deal done.

If they don't want Griff, I'd offer Stubbs, Conine and Lohse. Add Ryan Freel if neccessary to be their starting LF. Lohse provides them with a #4 starter down the stretch (especially with Smoltz being injured), Conine with a RH-hitting 1B for the stretch, and Stubbs as a possible long term replacement for Andruw Jones, whose departure is imminent.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Right.

The Braves might ask for Dunn, and if I'm Wayne I laugh and ask them to call back when theyre serious.

Votto I could understand. Griffey is realistic. Dunn is outrageous.

However I don't think they'd ask for Votto because they like the left-handed hitting Scott Thorman at 1B. So I'd offer Griffey, and if they refuse to take on his salary in full, I'd pick up 1/3 of it to get the deal done.

If they don't want Griff, I'd offer Stubbs, Conine and Lohse. Add Ryan Freel if neccessary to be their starting LF. Lohse provides them with a #4 starter down the stretch (especially with Smoltz being injured), Conine with a RH-hitting 1B for the stretch, and Stubbs as a possible long term replacement for Andruw Jones, whose departure is imminent.
    I would trade them Dunn straight up for Salty and run with it.

1. Adam Dunn is out of this town in at the most, 1.5 years when his contract is up. If he isnt, then we are going to be paying him 15 million a year for 4-6 years, and I just dont see the Reds committing that type of money to a position player.

2. We would control Salty for the next 5.5 years and half of those years would be on the very cheap. It would also help rid the Reds of this stupid catching situation where everyone seems to get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I would trade them Dunn straight up for Salty and run with it.

1. Adam Dunn is out of this town in at the most, 1.5 years when his contract is up. If he isnt, then we are going to be paying him 15 million a year for 4-6 years, and I just dont see the Reds committing that type of money to a position player.

2. We would control Salty for the next 5.5 years and half of those years would be on the very cheap. It would also help rid the Reds of this stupid catching situation where everyone seems to get a chance.
    maybe, but I would first offer Dunn a four year deal at 13mil per, just to see if he might be willing to take a hometown discount.

With Grif, Hatteberg, Milton and Lohse coming off the books, and every position except C (including the top 3 rotation spots) locked up cheaply for the next 3-4 years, I would give him that kind of money. Everyone wants payflex, but then we should do something with that money once we have it. I know Homer, EE, BP, Hamilton, Votto, and Bruce will eventually be arb-eligible, but thats at least two more years away before they even make over a mil. No one around here advocates signing any big name FA pitcher to these monstrous five year $100 million contracts they're giving out these days (a la Zito, Zambrano, etc.) so who exactly are we going to pay? Gil Meche for $55 million anyone? Now that AH and BA are signed over the next four years, if anyone is gonna make $13 mil per it should be Dunn. I'm not for overpaying sluggers like the Mariners or Orioles, but Dunn is one of our guys. If the Cubs have ARam, Soriano, and Lee, the Cards have Pujols, Rolen and Edmons, the Astros have Berkman, Lee, and Biggio, we can at least pay one slugger.

And please don't tell me that its the young, cheap guys that will let us win, because those teams have those guys too (Hunter Pence, Chris Duncan, Prince Fielder, etc.) If Dunn will take 50-55 MM over the next four, then sign him up.
    Last edited by Benihana; 05-31-2007 at 07:08 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?