Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Salty solution

Re: Salty solution

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I think the Reds and Redszone, need to come to terms with how they truely feel about Adam Dunn.

1. If you view him as important cog in the offensive future of the Reds, that means they must pay him ~$15 million for the next five years. He needs to go to first base as well, he isn't going to be getting any faster over that period of time. Joey Votto will probably need to be traded, and they will lose out on the opportunity to get slighly less production in terms of OPS for pennies on the dollar they will pay Adam Dunn. Assuming Votto can do what many people believe he can do.

2. Trade Adam Dunn for _______ prospect(s), or something else. I don't think you can get enough value back in return for Adam Dunn in any trade. Too many people are of the mindset that strikeouts are BAD. This extends to GM's as well.

I don't really have the answer, but I think in a market like Cincy you cannot afford to pay him what he deserves. We have been down that path with Ken Griffey Jr for the last eight seasons. The As and Jason Giambi parted ways, the Reds would probably be well suited to do the same thing with Dunn.

With all that being said, I would love to see a trade for Salty with either Dunn or Jr.
    I say sign him and keep him in LF.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I say sign him and keep him in LF.
    Can you truely afford to keep the defensive black hole in left field? I am of the opinion that he is going to slow down quite a bit in terms of foot speed due to his size. That isn't going to help him out there.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Can you truely afford to keep the defensive black hole in left field? I am of the opinion that he is going to slow down quite a bit in terms of foot speed due to his size. That isn't going to help him out there.
    Here is how I look at it. When he plays LF, every ball hit to LF is a potential misplay. When he plays 1B any ball hit on the IF is a potential misplay. I want Dunn touching the ball the least possible and LF is the only place besides DH for him IMO.

I would not want to depend on Dunn to complete the out on every ball hit on the IF. If you sign him for 5 years he'd only be 32 at the end of that deal. Even with his body type that should not be too old to move around the OF to at least his current level. If you think he'll get fat and slow if you sign him, then you shouldn't sign him whether its LF or 1B. He won't slow down that much in the next 5 years IMO.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Here is how I look at it. When he plays LF, every ball hit to LF is a potential misplay. When he plays 1B any ball hit on the IF is a potential misplay. I want Dunn touching the ball the least possible and LF is the only place besides DH for him IMO.

I would not want to depend on Dunn to complete the out on every ball hit on the IF. If you sign him for 5 years he'd only be 32 at the end of that deal. Even with his body type that should not be too old to move around the OF to at least his current level. If you think he'll get fat and slow if you sign him, then you shouldn't sign him whether its LF or 1B. He won't slow down that much in the next 5 years IMO.
    Fair enough. I remember Dunn looking truely awful once on a ball thrown in the dirt, it just ate him alive at first base. I guess if you look at the in house options over that period of time, including Bruce, Hamilton, and hopefully Stubbs, Dunn is at a severe disadvantage in terms of outfield defense. Just wanting to get all sides of the issue out there.

Plus if Salty can truely rake for a catcher: Salty + Votto > Dunn + more of recent history of Reds catchers
    Last edited by LoganBuck; 06-02-2007 at 11:43 PM.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I'm not disagreeable to the notion of extending Dunn, but seven years is way overshooting the mark IMO.
    Not all who wander are lost

Turn Off Ads?