Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official 2007 Mock Draft Selection Thread

Re: The Official 2007 Mock Draft Selection Thread

We have made 13 picks in 40 hours. We'll be lucky to complete the first round by next weekend at this pace. This thing should speed us if/when lollipop shows up because I'm after him, followed by jmcclain who is currently lurking, followed by Sandy and then the next five or so have either sent me their picks or have informed me that they plan on being around.

I have to leave for a few minutes to go vote, but I'll be back within 20-25 minutes. Hopefully lollipop is back by then.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Sorry folks -- got tangled up in Saturday runaround....

Atlanta is very pleased to see Jason Heyward still on the board, and they welcome him to Bravesville.

From minorleaguebaseball.com

Hitting Ability: Heyward is a strong, left-handed hitter with the chance to hit for average and power.
    Power: His best tool. He's got tremendous power and power potential from the left side.
    Running Speed: Close to average. He's not a speedster, but he won't clog up the bases, either.
    Arm Strength: Near average, but should develop average arm strength with a good long-tossing program.
    Fielding: Heyward plays center for his high school team, but will likely be a left fielder or first baseman at the next level. He's average defensively overall.
    Range: He's got average range. He's not a stiff, but won't win any gold gloves.
    Baseball Instinct: He's got very good baseball instincts.
    Physical Description: Heyward is a big strong, power-hitting lefty at age 17.
    Medical Update: Healthy.
    Strengths: Power potential from the left side, approach at the plate.
    Weaknesses: Some think he can be too patient at times, but that could be the result of not seeing any good pitches. He also may be limited to left field or first base.
    Summary: Heyward is one of the most intriguing high school bats in the draft class. He's got legitimate power potential from the left side, always a hot commodity, but isn't an all-or-nothing hitter. He's got a good approach at the plate and has the chance to hit for average and power. If the cards fall right, he could be a future cleanup hitter.
    Last edited by lollipopcurve; 06-02-2007 at 05:57 PM.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

No problem.

Damn. Now Moustakas and Heyward were my top two choices after I saw they were still available with two picks to go. Just my luck now that both are gone.

With the 15th overall pick in the draft, the Cincinnati Reds select Kevin Ahrens, 3B, Memorial HS, Houston, TX. Heyward and Moustakas were my top two hitters available after 12 and they are now gone. On the pitching side, Harvey, Parker, and Porcello were my top three guys and they're all gone.

Ahrens it is. I'm still pleased with this pick. He is similar to where Jay Bruce was two years ago - No one had heard much of him until his senior season when he just when off and started to get everyone's attention.

jmcclain is on the clock...
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 06-02-2007 at 05:42 PM.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

With the 16th pick in the Draft, the Toronto Blue Jays select Re-draft 54142 - Casey Weathers, Pitcher from Vanderbilt University.

Casey Weathers, RHP, Vanderbilt
    Senior, Ht.: 6-1. Wt.: 200. Birthdate: 6/10/85

JP Ricciardi: "We're really excited to have Casey in the fold. As a college senior, we know he has the maturity and baseball smarts to make the immediate transition to professional baseball, and the talent to contribute right away to the club. Casey has a power arm, his fastball regularly touching 96-97 and a nasty slider that clocks in at 91. We've already reach a preliminary agreement with Casey to sign for the slotted contract of $1.505 million, and expect to have Casey reporting to AA New Hampshire, as soon as the Commodores season is complete."
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 06-02-2007 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Spelling

SandyD is on the clock...

My brother (not a baseball fan) lives in Dallas, and when I told him I was picking for the Rangers in a mock mlb draft said ... "Good. They need all the help they could get."

He also said he heard a local call-in radio show topic: "what you'd rather be doing than going to a Rangers game." Ouch.

With the 17th overall pick in the 2007 draft, the Rangers pick:

JOSH SMOKER, lhp

Superdude is on the clock and wants us to pick for him, so I'll give him the best player available on the BA draft tracker.

Superdude and the Cardinals select Madison Bumgarner, lhp, South Caldwell HS, Hudson, N.C.

Stewie is on the clock and he left me a list.

Quote Originally Posted by SandyD View Post
    He also said he heard a local call-in radio show topic: "what you'd rather be doing than going to a Rangers game." Ouch.
    There have been several of those on local radio for Reds games.... :thumbdown

With the 19th overall pick, Stewie and the Phillies select Devin Mesoraco, c, HS.

nmculbreth is on the clock...

With the 20th overall selection the Los Angeles Dodgers are proud to select RHP / OF Michael Main of Deland (Fla.) HS. Michael's pitch repitoire includes a lively fastball that touches 97 mph, a plus breaking ball and a developing change up which should develop into an above average pitch. At this point Michael only shows average control but with repetition we believe he has the the potential to develop into an outstanding pitching prospect.

Major league comparison: Tim Hudson

I gotta get away from the computer for awhile. Carry on...

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

With the 21st pick in the Draft, the Toronto Blue Jays select Re-draft 43815 - Nick Schmidt, Pitcher from University of Arkansas.

Nick Schmidt, LHP, Arkansas
    Junior, Ht.: 6-5. Wt.: 230. Birthdate: 10/10/85

JP Ricciardi: We've been watching Nick pitch for a couple of years now, and this pick was a no-brainer for us. Nick is a big, tall, strong lefty with a heavy 91mph heater, an above average change up and excellent control. He's a Friday Starter in probably the toughest conference in college baseball. Just like Casey, is excited about joining the Blue Jays family, and has already agreed to a contract for $1.485 million, and we're ecstatic to have him. He'll report to High A Dunedin in August, after he takes a well deserved month off after the College World Series to get some rest.

New fever is on the clock. He sent his picks to me but I must have deleted them or something. My fault. I'm not sure what time he'll be back. If you don't feel like sticking around then just PM a list of picks to me. Thanks.

The San Francisco Giants select Julio Borbon OF:

The top college outfielder in a draft virtually devoid of them, Borbon broke his ankle during an intrasquad game a week before the spring season started. He made it back to the Tennessee lineup by the end of March, but he had just two home runs and seven doubles in 143 at-bats. He had not shown the consistent hard contact that made him Team USA's catalyst last summer, when the college national team brought home a gold medal from the World University Championship in Cuba. At his best, Borbon is a top-of-the-order hitter who makes sharp contact and changes games with his plus speed. He's more than a slap-and-run type, with above-average bat speed and some sock in his bat. A Dominican native, he has an aggressive approach and doesn't walk often. His defense is adequate, but he could improve his reads and routes. A popular comparison for Borbon is Johnny Damon, for the pop in his bat as well as his speed and well-below-average arm. He was expected to be taken in the first round despite a lackluster junior year.

Turn Off Ads?