Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Marlins/Giants Trade

Marlins/Giants Trade

Marlins Get:
    Armando Benitez

Giants get:
    Randy Messenger

The Giants have traded closer Armando Benitez and cash to the Marlins for right-hander Randy Messenger, FOXSports.com has learned.

As part of the deal, the Giants will pay the remainder of Benitez's $7.6 million salary this season, according to a source with knowledge of the trade.
    Benitez, 34, saved 47 games in 51 chances for the Marlins in 2004 before signing a three-year, $21.5 million free-agent contract with the Giants.

His tenure with the Giants was marked by injuries and questions about his attitude, and his appearance Tuesday against the Mets was the final blow. Benitez committed two balks and allowed a walk-off homer by Carlos Delgado, forcing Giants general manager Brian Sabean to reassess his bullpen.

For the season, Benitez is 0-3 with a 4.67 ERA, with nine saves in 11 opportunities. He has struck out 18 and walked nine in 171/3 innings.

Messenger, 26, is 1-1 with a 2.66 ERA in 23 relief appearances with the Marlins
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6872914

Not really sure what the Marlins are thinking on this one. Messenger is a young lively arm and Benitez is only getting worse. Great trade for the Giants.

I wish the Reds could have delt a guy like Weathers for Messenger.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Marlins/Giants Trade

What the fudge? When did the Marlins become that intellectually challenged?

On the bright side, now we don't have to worry about Krivsky going after Benitez.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by rotnoid View Post
    On the bright side, now we don't have to worry about Krivsky going after Benitez.

Ya never know. The Marlins may be working the phone right now with him, say.............hey wayne, Benitez is better than Majewski and Bray, how about Bruce and Bailey for him?

Now I see why Girardi got mad with the GM.

GIRARDI FOR MANAGER!
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Now I see why Girardi got mad with the GM.

GIRARDI FOR MANAGER!
    What? I don't think this was a good deal by the Marlins, but that does not overshadow what Larry Beinfest has done down their.

He had a team with $15 million payroll last year, and had his team in competition basically the entire year. He has proved time and time again he is one of the best GMs at being forced to trade away vets for young players, and being succesful at it.

Girardi was Nazi last year, and demaded things that would have made the Marlins alot worse.

Beinfest is one of the best GMs in baseball. Period.

Roster glue

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    What? I don't think this was a good deal by the Marlins, but that does not overshadow what Larry Beinfest has done down their.

He had a team with $15 million payroll last year, and had his team in competition basically the entire year. He has proved time and time again he is one of the best GMs at being forced to trade away vets for young players, and being succesful at it.

Girardi was Nazi last year, and demaded things that would have made the Marlins alot worse.

Beinfest is one of the best GMs in baseball. Period.
    Also factor in that the Giants will pay the remainder of Benitez's salary for the rest of the season. This is a no-risk move for the Marlins. Even if, as expected, Benitez brings below league-average work to Florida, they can cut bait on him at any time. What's the drawback of seeing whether a head case that at least used to be able to bring gas can do so again...for free?

Count me also in the camp with reds44 that Girardi isn't all that great. His body of work is one season, and in my opinion he overtaxed some of the Marlins' young arms. Girardi does not bring 5 wins to the Reds squad, so why pull out the stops to get him? Concentrate on the roster.

Turn Off Ads?