Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 66 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: The Unofficial Video Game System Thread

Re: The Unofficial Video Game System Thread

Considering the high-def world we're entering with the PS3 and X-Box 360, all I can say is CHECK YOUR LOCAL BEST BUY for 1080p LCD televisions on sale!!

My local Best Buy wanted to clear out all their "open-box" LCD televisions starting last Sunday and I ran into a sweet deal- a Samsung LN-T4066F 1080p HDTV for $1340.00. That TV is 2K MSRP and the lowest price I've ever seen has been $1799.00. It sports a 15000:1 dynamic contrast ratio and appears to have the ability to import 24 fps HD video. It's the "reference" HDTV they have hooked up to show off Blu-Ray video and it's beyond fantastic with Blu Ray games and movies. The "open box" price I got was because a guy purchased the set and then returned it because it was too small for his family room.

The prices are dropping on LCD televisions, and I was probably just in the right place at the right time, but there are still significant values to be had right now.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Considering the high-def world we're entering with the PS3 and X-Box 360, all I can say is CHECK YOUR LOCAL BEST BUY for 1080p LCD televisions on sale!!

My local Best Buy wanted to clear out all their "open-box" LCD televisions starting last Sunday and I ran into a sweet deal- a Samsung LN-T4066F 1080p HDTV for $1340.00. That TV is 2K MSRP and the lowest price I've ever seen has been $1799.00. It sports a 15000:1 dynamic contrast ratio and appears to have the ability to import 24 fps HD video. It's the "reference" HDTV they have hooked up to show off Blu-Ray video and it's beyond fantastic with Blu Ray games and movies. The "open box" price I got was because a guy purchased the set and then returned it because it was too small for his family room.

The prices are dropping on LCD televisions, and I was probably just in the right place at the right time, but there are still significant values to be had right now.
    A couple weeks ago I was looking for an HDTV for my wife and I's bedroom. HH Gregg was having 20% off sale on all electronics. So the price of a 32" Olevia LCD tv dropped from $599 to $479. I then went to Circuit City because they have a 110% price match policy and asked if they would honor that and give me the same TV for $431. The guy told me they usually honor sale prices. So asked if he would make an exception, he said he'd give me the TV for $450. So I bought from him. I'm really happy with the TV especially for that price.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    A couple weeks ago I was looking for an HDTV for my wife and I's bedroom. HH Gregg was having 20% off sale on all electronics. So the price of a 32" Olevia LCD tv dropped from $599 to $479. I then went to Circuit City because they have a 110% price match policy and asked if they would honor that and give me the same TV for $431. The guy told me they usually honor sale prices. So asked if he would make an exception, he said he'd give me the TV for $450. So I bought from him. I'm really happy with the TV especially for that price.
    $450 is a good price and, from what I've heard, the 32" Oelevia is a great deal for the money. Consumer Reports has it rated above a lot higher priced models, so I've been looking at that one myself.

Of course, you may have been able to go back to HH Gregg and ask them what they will give you. I just bought a washing machine from them. It was $1000, on sale for $899. I had my Consumer Reports list with me, so we had been looking at cheaper machines, but this one was a "CR recommended" model so I wanted to check it out. When we made a face at the price, he went to his sales manager and came back with $725. So we jumped all over that. But then, I think getting that deal at Circuit City was pretty good and it may be about what they would have given you at HH Gregg. So for those of you who like to haggle, HH Gregg is haggle friendly.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    A couple weeks ago I was looking for an HDTV for my wife and I's bedroom. HH Gregg was having 20% off sale on all electronics. So the price of a 32" Olevia LCD tv dropped from $599 to $479. I then went to Circuit City because they have a 110% price match policy and asked if they would honor that and give me the same TV for $431. The guy told me they usually DON'T honor sale prices. So asked if he would make an exception, he said he'd give me the TV for $450. So I bought from him. I'm really happy with the TV especially for that price.
    The original post should have read like this. I must have not been paying attention to what has been going on at the site lately because I just now realized that the "edit" button is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    $450 is a good price and, from what I've heard, the 32" Oelevia is a great deal for the money. Consumer Reports has it rated above a lot higher priced models, so I've been looking at that one myself.

Of course, you may have been able to go back to HH Gregg and ask them what they will give you. I just bought a washing machine from them. It was $1000, on sale for $899. I had my Consumer Reports list with me, so we had been looking at cheaper machines, but this one was a "CR recommended" model so I wanted to check it out. When we made a face at the price, he went to his sales manager and came back with $725. So we jumped all over that. But then, I think getting that deal at Circuit City was pretty good and it may be about what they would have given you at HH Gregg. So for those of you who like to haggle, HH Gregg is haggle friendly.
    I thought about that after I bought it from Circuit City and you're right I should have gone back to HH Gregg. I probably could have gotten my $431 price, but oh well I'm happy with what I got.

The original post should have read like this. I must have not been paying attention to what has been going on at the site lately because I just now realized that the "edit" button is gone.

I thought about that after I bought it from Circuit City and you're right I should have gone back to HH Gregg. I probably could have gotten my $431 price, but oh well I'm happy with what I got.
    As long as your happy, that's all that matters.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Even at 720p, that's a solid price for any 32" LCD TV and Olevia LCD sets get good ratings. Frankly, at 32", the difference between 720p and 1080p can't be distinguished by the average human eye even if it's pumping in an HD source. A couple things...

Does the TV have an internal HD tuner or is it "HD-ready"? That matters unless you're only going to pump in non-HD video. Of course, most cable and sattelite providers will be able to provide an HD receiver so the need for an internal tuner isn't a necessity. Secondly, what the dynamic contrast ratio? For a TV that price, it also may not matter if you're simply pushing analog signals into it, but it matters a great deal if you're looking to get great black levels to produce a realistic picture via HD sources via Blu Ray or HD-DVD.

In the end, I think you got a great deal even if you didn't go back to HH Gregg (we don't have these in my locale) to haggle and even if the TV doesn't have an internal HD tuner. That set is definitely equal or better to the 32" ILO set I purchased 1.5 years ago at $750 on sale sans internal HD tuner.

From a value-hunting perspective, well done.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Even at 720p, that's a solid price for any 32" LCD TV and Olevia LCD sets get good ratings. Frankly, at 32", the difference between 720p and 1080p can't be distinguished by the average human eye even if it's pumping in an HD source. A couple things...

Does the TV have an internal HD tuner or is it "HD-ready"? That matters unless you're only going to pump in non-HD video. Of course, most cable and sattelite providers will be able to provide an HD receiver so the need for an internal tuner isn't a necessity. Secondly, what the dynamic contrast ratio? For a TV that price, it also may not matter if you're simply pushing analog signals into it, but it matters a great deal if you're looking to get great black levels to produce a realistic picture via HD sources via Blu Ray or HD-DVD.

In the end, I think you got a great deal even if you didn't go back to HH Gregg (we don't have these in my locale) to haggle and even if the TV doesn't have an internal HD tuner. That set is definitely equal or better to the 32" ILO set I purchased 1.5 years ago at $750 on sale sans internal HD tuner.

From a value-hunting perspective, well done.
    Yes it has an internal tuner. And it is 1600:1. Occasionally I will hook the PS3 up to it if we want to watch a movie in the bedroom. Even if it's a regular DVD, I can't go back to watching DVD's that aren't upscaled.

Yes it has an internal tuner. And it is 1600:1. Occasionally I will hook the PS3 up to it if we want to watch a movie in the bedroom. Even if it's a regular DVD, I can't go back to watching DVD's that aren't upscaled.
    Wow. That was a super price. And with that contrast ratio, it should do blacks pretty well.

And I'm with you on DVD upscaling. We have a PS3 as well as a standalone Blu Ray player so pretty much every DVD we watch gets upscaled. I tried to throw a DVD into my PS2 a couple weeks ago and it was unbearable.

Well, time to start a high-def movie thread, I guess.

--Ted Williams

Does anybody play the Sports Mogul series of games? I like them a lot.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

I just finally picked up a PS3 a week or so ago, and got MLB 07 The Show.

I struck out with Dunn, and the guy said "As he is so prone to do, Dunn strikes out"

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Also made a leaping catch at the wall with Freel.

My wife bought me Guitar Hero II as a reward for passing the bar. I've been rockin' out for the past two days. They told her I could always wait and bring it back unopened to exchange for Guitar Hero III, but I've heard mixed reviews on it, so I figured I'd enjoy II and see how it goes. It really is a great game.

Congrats again, Yacht.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    My wife bought me Guitar Hero II as a reward for passing the bar. I've been rockin' out for the past two days. They told her I could always wait and bring it back unopened to exchange for Guitar Hero III, but I've heard mixed reviews on it, so I figured I'd enjoy II and see how it goes. It really is a great game.
    I took care of "Easy" mode (with help from the wife) on Guitar Hero II, and I'm about 1/3 of the way through on "Medium". Man, is that hard. I'm about to flip to LH mode as my right hand is just more dexterous on the keys (have a hard time getting the left ring and pinky to work independently).

I held off on buying "Guitar Hero Encore: Rock's the 80's" due to poor reviews. I'll hold back on "Guitar Hero III" for the same reason, and will be looking to purchase only for the PS2. While I'm glad it's available for the PS3, there's no way I'm buying 2x bluetooth controllers for a game that projects little, if any, additional value via HD.

And congrats on passing the bar. That's a huge accomplishment. Well done!

--Ted Williams

I took care of "Easy" mode (with help from the wife) on Guitar Hero II, and I'm about 1/3 of the way through on "Medium". Man, is that hard. I'm about to flip to LH mode as my right hand is just more dexterous on the keys (have a hard time getting the left ring and pinky to work independently).

I held off on buying "Guitar Hero Encore: Rock's the 80's" due to poor reviews. I'll hold back on "Guitar Hero III" for the same reason, and will be looking to purchase only for the PS2. While I'm glad it's available for the PS3, there's no way I'm buying 2x bluetooth controllers for a game that projects little, if any, additional value via HD.

And congrats on passing the bar. That's a huge accomplishment. Well done!
    Thanks.

So I want to know what is the best current system for the money? I was looking at a PS3, and also and XBOX360. Also, I was looking at a PSP. For the price which is the best system. Keep in mind that I love to play sports games, and I love to play online.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Turn Off Ads?