Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: The Unofficial Video Game System Thread

High five!

Re: The Unofficial Video Game System Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Creek Jr. is a lucky lucky kid.

When I was a lad, all we had was Pong and a Magnavox Odyssey II. I loved the Odyssey II controllers because they were so smooth. But the games were mostly poorly done ripoffs of the Atari stable of games (including an awful faux "Pac Man"). But there were a couple of combo board/video games that were ok.

The rich kids had Intellivision.
    Ugh, I had the Odyssey as well. Dudes with the 2600 got to play Pac Man and I got stuck with KC Munchkin.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Creek Jr. is a lucky lucky kid.
    Creek jr is an only child (I was 40 when I had him). He's a *tad* bit on the spoiled side, but not in a jerky way.

I bought the PSP for him earlier this week for his birthday. He's still thanking me for it.

As for video games when I was a kid - well that was pretty much having the TV on (black and white, no remote) as you played a board game.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    I'm thinking about buying a 360, but I've heard a lot of stories about the "red rings of death" and the things dying.

Has anyone on here had problems with this?
    I have had a 360 since last Christmas and so far have had no problems with it.

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    PS3, PS2, XBOX360, PC

I also use the PS3 for Blu-Ray.

I'm a big racing sim fan and LOVE LOVE LOVE F1 Championship for PS3. I'll pick up NASCAR 08 this summer when it's released and *most definitely* the next Gran Turismo.
    Then I'll assume you've downloaded the Gran Turismo HD demo from the online PS Store. Those graphics are ridiculous. I was bummed they chose to hold off production of a full GT HD game, but I'm assuming that GT 5 is going to look really nice on the PS3.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Then I'll assume you've downloaded the Gran Turismo HD demo from the online PS Store. Those graphics are ridiculous. I was bummed they chose to hold off production of a full GT HD game, but I'm assuming that GT 5 is going to look really nice on the PS3.
    The GT games have always looked pretty nice. I just have a PS2 and GT4 looks pretty good on there. I don't play games too often but I gravitate toward sports games mostly.

I haven't had any problems with my Xbox 360, but the fan is a little louder than I'd like. I've been told that the overheating problems can be avoided by keeping it off the floor (not on a carpet).

I'd really like to get Guitar Hero II for the 360. It seems pretty cool.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I have an Xbox360 and a Nintendo Wii. Big fan of Gears of War and I play tennis so Top Spin 2 has gotten a lot of play. Dead Rising is maybe the greatest zombie game ever, I think I like it even better than the Resident Evil series, although it's kind of apples and oranges.

Super Paper Mario is pretty cool for the Wii, but I haven't bought a lot for that system. Bowling and tennis are both still fun so I haven't seen the need really.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I haven't had any problems with my Xbox 360, but the fan is a little louder than I'd like. I've been told that the overheating problems can be avoided by keeping it off the floor (not on a carpet).

I'd really like to get Guitar Hero II for the 360. It seems pretty cool.
    Wow. I just jinxed myself. I just got the red circle of death. I was just trying to play a regular DVD and it froze on me and gave me the red circle of death. I'm probably being paranoid, but it happened while I was playing a DVD of questionable authenticity (my wife bought Beauty and the Beast for the kids off eBay and there are signs it may be a Chinese bootleg). That wouldn't cause such a problem, would it?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Wow. I just jinxed myself. I just got the red circle of death. I was just trying to play a regular DVD and it froze on me and gave me the red circle of death. I'm probably being paranoid, but it happened while I was playing a DVD of questionable authenticity (my wife bought Beauty and the Beast for the kids off eBay and there are signs it may be a Chinese bootleg). That wouldn't cause such a problem, would it?
    Never owned an Xbox product so I have no idea what would lead to the red circle of death. I'm hoping that a system restart took care of the issue.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

On a PS3 note, I've been playing DVD's using the PS3's upscaling tech (provided by the latest firmware update). While the results aren't top-tier Blu-Ray spectacular, the upscaling breathes new life into my DVD collection. Much (much) better picture even with older DVD's on my LCD screen via HDMI connection. It's akin to the jump we saw when switching from VHS to DVD.

<Edit: I'm watching the DVD version of The Hulk right now. With upconversion, this movie looks HD in every way, including a good number of 3-D effects.>
    Last edited by SteelSD; 06-03-2007 at 02:23 AM.

--Ted Williams

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I've been researching what causes it online. Apparently Microsoft was really rushing to get to the launch deadline, so they used cheap soldering(sp?) on the motherboard of the system, so when the x-boxes get hot and overheat, the solderings loosen up/melt and disconnect some things.

So it's important to keep it as cool as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    I've been researching what causes it online. Apparently Microsoft was really rushing to get to the launch deadline, so they used cheap soldering(sp?) on the motherboard of the system, so when the x-boxes get hot and overheat, the solderings loosen up/melt and disconnect some things.

So it's important to keep it as cool as possible.
    Ironically, I've had mine up off the floor in a cool room and was booting off a cold start. I've tried rebooting. If I boot with just the hard drive and nothing in the disk drive, it boots normally to the Xbox dashboard. But as soon as I put a disk in, it freezes. If I boot with a disk in, the red lights appear. So I'm thinking its related to the cd/dvd drive. It's a good thing the Xbox has a 1 year warranty.

Time is the Revelator.

Just bought a Wii for my fiancee and I. Shipping out tomorrow, and comes with Mario Party 8. Should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Ugh, I had the Odyssey as well. Dudes with the 2600 got to play Pac Man and I got stuck with KC Munchkin.
    I must have been spoiled, we had the Coleco Vision along with the Atari adapter. Not only could I play coleco classics like Donkey Kong and Zaxxon, I had the ability to play such stunning atari games as Pac-man, qbert, and Chopper Command.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Talked to the folks at Xbox Customer Support. They're sending me a shipping box to send it in for work. Fortunately it's under warranty.

Turn Off Ads?