Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 66 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Thread: The Unofficial Video Game System Thread

Re: The Unofficial Video Game System Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Oh, and the Metal Gear Solid 4 demonstration trailer is beyond fantastic. Wow.
    THIS is the game I'm waiting for. The demo is insane.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    THIS is the game I'm waiting for. The demo is insane.
    I was blown away by the number of options available during game play. I bet Snake impresses the ladies too.

"Hey, there stealthy. Is that a barrel in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

So.

I have a really odd XBOX360 question, and I probably already have the answer, but Steel seems to be a guru.....

Anyway, I stupidly left my console on (I was tired, and didn't feel like saving my game...Even though it was game 7 of the World Series), and there was a gigantic thuderstorm that night. When I went downstairs, I noticed that my usually green circle thingy was flashing red.

I powered it down, and up again, and everything seems fine, but one of my employees said to me "Dude, that's the red ring of doom. Yer box is fried..."

Is that true? I played last night without any trouble, so maybe I lucked out.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    So.

I have a really odd XBOX360 question, and I probably already have the answer, but Steel seems to be a guru.....

Anyway, I stupidly left my console on (I was tired, and didn't feel like saving my game...Even though it was game 7 of the World Series), and there was a gigantic thuderstorm that night. When I went downstairs, I noticed that my usually green circle thingy was flashing red.

I powered it down, and up again, and everything seems fine, but one of my employees said to me "Dude, that's the red ring of doom. Yer box is fried..."

This?
    http://www.xbox360.joystiq.com/2007/...ing-sufferers/

That's exactly what it was doing, but now it seems fine.

I think it really wants me to win that World Series.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

That's exactly what it was doing, but now it seems fine.

I think it really wants me to win that World Series.
    If it comes up again with 3 red lights (not 4), you may be in trouble. Of course they just upped the warranty for that problem to 3 years.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

So.

What Yachtzee said. I don't have a 360, but I don't think your box is fried. Now, if you get the recurring 3-light red ring of death, it's time to send it in for replacement.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

It's like Christmas for PS3 owners who like trailers right now...

Resident Evil 5 game trailer is online (sweet graphics)

InFamous game trailer is online (neat concept)

"I am Legend" movie trailer is online (pretty cool)

"30 Days of Night" movie trailer is online (really cool)

I'm pretty stoked about "I am Legend" (Will Smith). That should be a pretty cool movie, even if it does kinda' steal a concept from "Y-The Last Man" comic (which has also been greenlighted as a movie). "30 Days of Night" is straight from the comic of the same name. It's funny that it cites a "graphic novel" source considering that the actual graphic novel is just a compilation of the comic mini-series by Steve Niles. If it's good, there's plenty of room for sequels as Niles has already done them.

This is probably a comment better placed in a "movie" or "comic book" thread, but it's really interesting that so many comic and/or graphic novels are being adapted or pilfered for movies right now.

Back on topic, the PS3 appears to be reaching near-maturity. The trailer downloads are nice, but I think we'll be seeing a goodly number of big game releases very soon. While I won't be purchasing MGS4 (I haven't the patience for most "stealth" games), I'd suggest that will be a major PS3 "buy" driver for fans of the series who've been holding out. The demo video was incredible. I'll also be interested to see what happens when "Home" beta comes online because I think there will be a lot of interest in that virtual community.

--Ted Williams

When does Madden 08 come out for X-Box? I know it's some time this month but not sure about the exact date.
    Most Vottomatic Player

I am not sure about this, but I believe its August 18th.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    When does Madden 08 come out for X-Box? I know it's some time this month but not sure about the exact date.
    August 14th

So.

About 6 months ago I had the red circles after a power problem.

It went away after I unplugged it.

Thanks for your help with my question about the DVR steel. I guess my only question now is which is the better purchase long term, a PS3 or an Xbox elite? A guy I work with who is obsessed with video games swears up and down that the xbox is the best and that the ps3 will be obsolete within 18 months because it uses blueray discs and that it's losing all its game licenses or something. I really don't know a whole lot about gaming systems (last thing I ever owned was a SNES) and I want to make sure it's a good purchase before I drop $500.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerScottDavis View Post
    A guy I work with who is obsessed with video games swears up and down that the xbox is the best and that the ps3 will be obsolete within 18 months because it uses blueray discs and that it's losing all its game licenses or something.
    Uh...no. The PS3 has more powerful hardware than both the 360 and the Wii by a fairly large margin. What your friend is likely referring to in regards to the "game licenses" is that several titles have jumped ship as exclusives. They'll still be available on the PS3, but they'll be published for other systems as well. Unless you're one of those strange system fan boys, this is a good thing: more choices for the consumers equals more competition, leading to lower prices.

Just look at the PS2's library of games compared to the XBox's. I expect the 360's to have many more titles, but the PS3 will likely still end up with more games.

Look through a list of available and upcoming games for each system and go from there. Personally, I'd stay away from the 360 for now because of the hardware problems. I might pick one up eventually, though, as there are a few exclusive games I'd like to play.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerScottDavis View Post
    Thanks for your help with my question about the DVR steel. I guess my only question now is which is the better purchase long term, a PS3 or an Xbox elite? A guy I work with who is obsessed with video games swears up and down that the xbox is the best and that the ps3 will be obsolete within 18 months because it uses blueray discs and that it's losing all its game licenses or something. I really don't know a whole lot about gaming systems (last thing I ever owned was a SNES) and I want to make sure it's a good purchase before I drop $500.
    Hey, I'm just happy for anyone who can afford either a 360 or a PS3. I don't know why owners of one system often end up in turf wars. Once the hardware issues get figured out, I'd love to have an XBox 360 as it looks to have a great stable of games. That being said, your co-worker needs to do a better job of fact checking.

The PS3 is not going to be obsolete in 18 months. Game developers have barely scratched the surface of what the cell processor can do. Blu-Ray isn't going anywhere. Once game developers figure out how to maximize the cell processor, the additional space offered by Blu-Ray discs may be a huge advantage over games ripped to regular DVD.

As an aside, I hate the "format wars" crap and do believe that Blu-Ray and HD-DVD can co-exist. Heck, I actually want an HD-DVD player due to some exclusive HD-DVD content. I tend to be an early adopter, but I do a lot of research before I purchase something as expensive as a PS3. From the get-go, all signs pointed to Blu-Ray sticking regardless of what HD-DVD does. The wife (a computer programmer) and I are confident enough in the tech that we have a PS3 and another standalone Blu-Ray player.

Which system to buy? Well, that depends on what you'll use it for. I use mine a lot more for movies than games as Blu-Ray s standard with the PS3. You can do HD movies with the 360 Elite, but you'll have to purchase the HD-DVD player add-on. If you currently have wireless internet, connectivity comes standard with the PS3 60GB, but you'll have to purchase the wi-fi add-on with the 360 Elite (I can't believe they did that). The 360 Elite does come with a bigger hard drive though (120 GB vs. 60 GB), but it's proprietary. MS did add an HDMI output to the 360 Elite so that's nice. I haven't been online with a 360, but I have heard that it's a far more robust experience than Sony's Playstation Network. But one's free (PS3) and one costs (XBox Live Gold) if you want play online multiplayer so factor that into your decision.

For basically the same functionality out-of box, here's the cost breakdown:

PS3: $499.99

XBox 360 Elite: $479.99
    XBox HD-DVD Player: $179.99 (circuitcity.com)
    XBox wi-fi adapter: $75.00 (ebay prices)
    XBox Live Gold: $50.00 per year

That leaves the year-one cost for the 360 Elite at around $785 (w/60 more GB of hard drive) versus $499 for the PS3. If you don't care about the HD movies, the wi-fi compatibility, or online multiplayer, and just want a larger selection of games, then the 360 Elite might be for you. If you want all the extras though, it'll get pretty spendy.

--Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?