Page 14 of 66 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: The Unofficial Video Game System Thread

Re: The Unofficial Video Game System Thread

What kind of games do you like?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    What kind of games do you like?
    I've always been a fan of sports games, but recently my new obsession has been Halo 3. Especially playing online. I can go on 7 hour binges like it's nothing.

Because of this, I've grown to really like shooter games - Bioshock, Lost Planet, Gears of War, etc. However, I'm pretty much open to anything new, especially if others highly recommend it. And from what I hear, TOB is 5 different games in one. It'd be tough to not find one worth the price. At least, that's what I've been telling myself...
    Last edited by Screwball; 11-13-2007 at 11:11 PM.

You've played Bioshock? I was going to recommend that if you hadn't.

TOB has gotten spectacular reviews on Gamespot.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/acti...result;title;1

I lucked out yesterday and was able to score a copy of the Rock Band: Special Edition bundle for the PS3 (guitar, drums, mic). All I can say is WOW!

The drums are just a blast. The wife absolutely loves playing this game. She played one of the demo units at a local Wal Mart and was hooked. We spent a couple hours last night playing together- her on drums (Easy) and myself on guitar (Medium). I like that Harmonix appears to have down-tweaked the guitar difficulty level considering that the Guitar Hero series has been more difficult with every release. For those who haven't purchased this yet, but who are thinking about it:

1. The Fender Stratocaster guitar model is a bit larger than the GH models. To me it feels solid and the buttons are a bit more responsive than the PS2 GH controllers I have. The PS3 Rock Band guitar is wireless (not Bluetooth though) via USB dongle. Not sure why they didn't make the X-Box 360 version wireless. The only minor drawback is that the fret buttons aren't raised so there's a minor learning curve. Oh, and I should note that the PS3 GH III controller will not function with Rock Band. The 360 GH III controller, however, is functional with the 360 version of the game. A lot of folks who bought the game only rather than the bundle for the PS3 are not terribly happy right now.

2. The drums are wired (oh well). You can adjust the height and they can take a lot of abuse. For those who've played the kiosk demo version, you should know that the full drum set includes a kick pedal. The demo plays those notes automatically, but the actual game will require use of the kick pedal on every song (even in "Easy" mode). So if you can't get your foot to work independently of your hands, you might have a problem. You get real wooden Ludwig drumsticks to work with. Cool. Hitting the drum pads reasonably hard does result in a loud "thwack" sound so if you're looking to play this late at night in an apartment, you might want to re-think that.

3. The set list includes about 45 songs, IIRC, with many original recordings rather than "covers". Had that been it for the songs, playing through "World Tour" mode would require a lot of repetition. But fear not- additional song downloads are available via the Playstation Network ($5.49 for 3-song packs or $1.99 per song) or X-Box Live. That's fantastic and I read that Harmonix will be offering @1,000 songs over the next year for download. I already picked up The Police pack (including "Roxanne"), "Juke Box Hero", and "My Sharona". It's nice that they list whether the song is original or a cover in the description prior to purchase.

I haven't tried the mic out yet. Stage fright I guess. But it feels solid with good weight.

Have I mentioned that this game is flat-out FUN? It's a great party game and the design is perfect for folks who want to spend more time with their kids. Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to find the $170 PS3 bundle (far fewer shipped than the 360 version) and stand-alone guitars and drum sets aren't likely to be available until 2008. I picked up an extra set yesterday just to see if the eBay feeding frenzy prices would hold. Alas, they haven't but that's good news for those who are looking to grab a set closer to retail than the $250-$300 they were selling for yesterday. If you have a chance, pick one up. It's a blast.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

That's a great review, SteelSD. Thank you.

I can't wait to play Rock Band it looks like a great game. I was able to get a copy for the 360 the other night at Walmart but it is a Christmas gift so I have to wait a month to play it. So for now I will keep playing Guitar Hero III until I can start playing the drums on Rock Band in a month.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    I lucked out yesterday and was able to score a copy of the Rock Band: Special Edition bundle for the PS3 (guitar, drums, mic). All I can say is WOW!

The drums are just a blast. The wife absolutely loves playing this game. She played one of the demo units at a local Wal Mart and was hooked. We spent a couple hours last night playing together- her on drums (Easy) and myself on guitar (Medium). I like that Harmonix appears to have down-tweaked the guitar difficulty level considering that the Guitar Hero series has been more difficult with every release. For those who haven't purchased this yet, but who are thinking about it:

1. The Fender Stratocaster guitar model is a bit larger than the GH models. To me it feels solid and the buttons are a bit more responsive than the PS2 GH controllers I have. The PS3 Rock Band guitar is wireless (not Bluetooth though) via USB dongle. Not sure why they didn't make the X-Box 360 version wireless. The only minor drawback is that the fret buttons aren't raised so there's a minor learning curve. Oh, and I should note that the PS3 GH III controller will not function with Rock Band. The 360 GH III controller, however, is functional with the 360 version of the game. A lot of folks who bought the game only rather than the bundle for the PS3 are not terribly happy right now.

2. The drums are wired (oh well). You can adjust the height and they can take a lot of abuse. For those who've played the kiosk demo version, you should know that the full drum set includes a kick pedal. The demo plays those notes automatically, but the actual game will require use of the kick pedal on every song (even in "Easy" mode). So if you can't get your foot to work independently of your hands, you might have a problem. You get real wooden Ludwig drumsticks to work with. Cool. Hitting the drum pads reasonably hard does result in a loud "thwack" sound so if you're looking to play this late at night in an apartment, you might want to re-think that.

3. The set list includes about 45 songs, IIRC, with many original recordings rather than "covers". Had that been it for the songs, playing through "World Tour" mode would require a lot of repetition. But fear not- additional song downloads are available via the Playstation Network ($5.49 for 3-song packs or $1.99 per song) or X-Box Live. That's fantastic and I read that Harmonix will be offering @1,000 songs over the next year for download. I already picked up The Police pack (including "Roxanne"), "Juke Box Hero", and "My Sharona". It's nice that they list whether the song is original or a cover in the description prior to purchase.

I haven't tried the mic out yet. Stage fright I guess. But it feels solid with good weight.

Have I mentioned that this game is flat-out FUN? It's a great party game and the design is perfect for folks who want to spend more time with their kids. Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to find the $170 PS3 bundle (far fewer shipped than the 360 version) and stand-alone guitars and drum sets aren't likely to be available until 2008. I picked up an extra set yesterday just to see if the eBay feeding frenzy prices would hold. Alas, they haven't but that's good news for those who are looking to grab a set closer to retail than the $250-$300 they were selling for yesterday. If you have a chance, pick one up. It's a blast.

Thank for the review. I've been waiting to hear a good review before buying. I probably won't buy for a while, but you have definately convinced me to buy eventually.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I'm trying to get a new game for XBox 360 and I wanted to see if anybody has played The Orange Box. Supposedly it's pretty sweet, but I want to get some people's input before I drop $60+ on it. I know I can always rent it, and I probably will, but any feedback would be welcome.
    I'm still playing a lot of H3. My buddies are getting into Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect. I might try ME, AC looks like a rental to me (no multi).

I still think that in a year, I'll still be playing H3 and all the other stuff will be month-long curiosities. H3 just has a certain replayability that other games (besides sports games) fail to create.

Thanks for the review, Steel. I've been working on Guitar Hero II still and enjoy it a lot, but the prospect of getting to play drums and sing is really intriguing. Plus, with Xbox, I've already got a second guitar to play bass.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Has anybody had any problems with game systems you get off ebay? I was thinking of going that route to save some cash. The core system is $280 new, but you can get it for like $200 on ebay.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I'm still playing a lot of H3. My buddies are getting into Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect. I might try ME, AC looks like a rental to me (no multi).

I still think that in a year, I'll still be playing H3 and all the other stuff will be month-long curiosities. H3 just has a certain replayability that other games (besides sports games) fail to create.
    Mmmm...Halo 3...

I'm very excited about Mass Effect, but I'll be waiting. I have far too many games that I've been neglecting.

I've been going crazy on my PSP here recently... bought about 20 or so games for it...

They're really cranking out some quality games for the PSP.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Thanks for the review, Steel. I've been working on Guitar Hero II still and enjoy it a lot, but the prospect of getting to play drums and sing is really intriguing. Plus, with Xbox, I've already got a second guitar to play bass.
    No problem at all. The nice thing about the game is that it rewards teamwork. I love Guitar Hero and finished GH2 on Medium (Freebird tested my patience), but that game is built for the competitive. I like competition, but the upward skill crawl has thusfar kept me away from GH III. There's nothing wrong with that, but Rock Band rewards the cooperative.

Earlier tonight the wife and I were playing in co-op mode. She had the guitar and I had the drums. She got bumped out because she missed a lot of notes early on. But I was able to bring her back in via "overdrive" and we finished with a 4-star ranking (out of five) to continue our tour. IMHO, having the ability to bring a "band member" back into the game is fantastic.

As for the drums, I'm not a percussionist. I feel that I have a good sense of rhythm and the results have confirmed that. I just beat the game on "Easy" with the drums, but it was tough. But it was probably the most fun I've had with a video game in many many years. You get a real feeling of accomplishment even on "Easy". The funny thing is that after you've played the game via the drum set, the guitar actually becomes easier. After playing through the practice round with the drums, I couldn't stand playing the guitar on "Easy". In cooperative mode, I had to set the guitar to "Medium" while the wife played the drums in "Easy" mode. After playing the drums, "Easy" mode with the guitar is just plain boring. Way boring. Like you're going to lose your mind boring.

IMHO, we see very few "must-have" video games. Rock Band is one of those on an historical level, regardless of the platform one owns. It's challenging in all the right ways, it rewards teamwork, and it's just ridiculously fun.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Did you see that South Park episode about Guitar Hero???

Oh yeah, I bought one of those Star War special edition PSP's, as well (I had an original that I bought when the system launched)... the new ones are slimmer, lighter, and the screen is a bit brighter.

I bought Manhunt 2 and I've been fooling around learning how to "hack" the OS of the PSP. You can hack the OS and change the code on Manhunt 2 to remove the blur on the kills. (The ESRB forced Rockstar to add the blur effect to release the game under "Mature" rather than "Adults Only.")

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Assassin's Creed is a good game. Not what I expected, but still good. Visually stunning, but the gameplay gets kind of repetitive. The story is what kept me going though, even though it's mostly based on history.

Call of Duty 4 has been a blast also. The single player I beat in about 2 days, but nobody buys it for that, it's all about the MP. I traded in Halo 3 after playing it. I'll probably be playing this game well into the new year.

Edit: And to the poster who asked about the Orange Box. It's defintitely worth the 60 bucks. If you haven't played the Half-Life series, it's REALLY worth it. You get a lot of value for your dollar with this package.
    Last edited by HumnHilghtFreel; 11-22-2007 at 02:58 AM.

Turn Off Ads?