Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 66 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Unofficial Video Game System Thread

Re: The Unofficial Video Game System Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Does this count?

Dude, I'm still trying to win at Commodore 64 Strip Poker. Pixellated boobs kill.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?

PS3, PS2, XBOX360, PC

I also use the PS3 for Blu-Ray.

I'm a big racing sim fan and LOVE LOVE LOVE F1 Championship for PS3. I'll pick up NASCAR 08 this summer when it's released and *most definitely* the next Gran Turismo.

GIK, I played the Forza on the x360 and I'm a HUGE Gran Turismo fan, but Forza II almost has me converted!
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

1. I have an Xbox360.

2. My current favorite game is Guitar Hero II. The game comes with the guitar controller and is addicting. I also love the Dead Rising game. Other favorites are Madden and Gears of War.

3. I have been thinking of adding the HD-DVD player to the XBox but have been waiting to see what comes out on top between the Blu Ray and HD-DVD formats.

Creek Jr is dictating this response.

1. What system do you have (both console and handheld)?
    PS1, XBox, GameCube, PSP, GameBoy, GameBoy SP, GameBoy DS, GameBoy Advance.

2. What games do you enjoy?
    Star Wars Battle Front II and Halo II

3. What else do you do with the system?
    Play music on XBox
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Dude, I'm still trying to win at Commodore 64 Strip Poker. Pixellated boobs kill.
    Wow. Hadn't thought about that game in years. Many an hour spent trying to "win".

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    I'd maybe hold off on the HD-DVD player add-on as it's around $200.00 and standalone HD-DVD players are really coming down in price. I've seen online sales for around $299.00 including two HD-DVD movies. Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather have a standalone player rather than to have to pump video through the Xbox from an add-on.

And even though I'm heavy into Blu-Ray (about 30 movies), I've been threatening to get an HD-DVD player as Universal produces flicks solely for HD-DVD. I'd really like to watch Serenity, The Matrix, Children of Men, Smokin' Aces, and The Hulk in HD.

As you're an Xbox fan, I'd be curious to know what you think of the new Xbox Elite system.
    Many reviews for the 360 HD DVD player rank it above any standalone HD DVD player available, or at least they did a few months ago.

I've got a PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, and Xbox 360. My Xbox is modded, and has every Sega, Nintendo, Super Nintendo, and Nintendo 64 game ever made loaded on it. If anyone has an original xbox, and haven't modded it, I highly suggest doing so. I've used my Xbox 50 times more in the last 5 months than I have used the 360
    Last edited by bengalsown; 06-01-2007 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Wow. Hadn't thought about that game in years.
    Yeah, suuuuure. When the wife goes to bed, you and Betty stay up and play a few hands.

Meanwhile I just stumbled upon a couple of old C64 floppy (literally floppy) disks: Dukes of Hazzard and Dig Dug.

I feel like playing Hunt the Wumpas.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by creek14 View Post
    Creek Jr is dictating this response.

1. What system do you have (both console and handheld)?
    PS1, XBox, GameCube, PSP, GameBoy, GameBoy SP, GameBoy DS, GameBoy Advance.

2. What games do you enjoy?
    Star Wars Battle Front II and Halo II

3. What else do you do with the system?
    Play music on XBox
    Creek Jr. is a lucky lucky kid.

When I was a lad, all we had was Pong and a Magnavox Odyssey II. I loved the Odyssey II controllers because they were so smooth. But the games were mostly poorly done ripoffs of the Atari stable of games (including an awful faux "Pac Man"). But there were a couple of combo board/video games that were ok.

The rich kids had Intellivision.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I've got a PS2, a Wii, and, of course, my computer. I have far too many PS2 games. For the Wii, I have Bust a Move Bash, Super Paper Mario, and Rampage: Total Destruction. I've picked up a number of Gamecube games too. I use my computer for gaming the most, though. I've recently played Jade Empire, Neverwinter Nights 2, Oblivion, and the LotR MMORPG.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I have a PS2 and a GameCube. Nothing that has come out for the PS3 (that I have seen) really screams "must buy" at this point. Plus, I don't own a HDTV, so I don't see the need to upgrade.

I play mostly sports games (I've owned every edition of NCAA Football since 1998) and the occasional odd shoot-em-up (GTA series) or RPG (Final Fantasy series).

I used to play videogames a ton in college and law school. Now, I really don't find myself with the free time. I do still enjoy it, I just never have time to sit and really hammer through a recruiting class or a long sidequest like I used to back when I REALLY had no life.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    I was thinking about doing the Folding @ Home thing, but I'm concerned that leaving the PS3 on constantly would shorten its lifespan. Now if it was priced like a Gamecube...

Speaking of Gamecube, if anyone needs one they should check their local Sam's Club. Mine has a Gamecube combo pack (system, controller, memory card, two games) on sale for $65.00.
    Just leave it on while your at home. Then turn it off when you leave for work, etc...

They have teams out there that you can join, it's quite fun. I have been folding on the PC for almost 5 years now. You get points for each work unit, so it's like a little competition. The PS3 really racks up the points quick too.

I myself fold for Team 734, which is PC Perspective. It used to be AMDMB.com

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I'm thinking about buying a 360, but I've heard a lot of stories about the "red rings of death" and the things dying.

Has anyone on here had problems with this?

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    I'm thinking about buying a 360, but I've heard a lot of stories about the "red rings of death" and the things dying.

My roommate picked one up at launch. He hasn't had a single issue with it since.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post

I've heard stories about the XBox 360 "red ring of death", but I've also heard stories about someone who ended up with a "bricked" PS3. I have heard that the XBox 360's fan runs pretty loud while my PS3 is silent even after hours of gameplay or movie watching. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that some systems, regardless of the tech, are going to have flaws. Maybe I've just been lucky, but my PS3 hasn't had a single issue since the day I purchased it and it's a first-gen 20GB model (which is no longer produced).

In the end, I'm not a "fanboy" of any system. Buy what you want and play what you want is my motto. The XBox 360 has a ton of great games. Online does cost some scratch (@$50 IIRC) while it's free on the PS3 and many games have online multiplayer functionality. High def (Blu-Ray) movie functionality is built into the PS3 while it's still a $200 add-on for even the XBox Elite (which pushes it to a $700 price point). If someone more tech-savvy than myself wants to, they can even install Linex on the PS3. The PS3 hard drive can be upgraded using a regular notebook 2.5" hard drive so the max GB is only limited to what companies can produce.

Via HDMI, the PS3 now upscales regular DVD movies to near high-def. That's a big deal for me as I promised the wife that I wouldn't buy Blu-Ray discs just to replace flicks I already had on DVD. I just got done watching Smokin' Aces and it looks significantly better on my PS3 versus my other DVD players.

In the end, I think it just depends on what folks want to do with their next-gen system. The XBox 360 seems to be a gamer's haven even if folks have to pay for online access while the PS3 seems to be a Blu-Ray and multi-media option (including a built-in web browser) for folks who're looking for an all-in-one package. The PS3 game selection is nowhere near as good as the XBox 360 selection. That being said, the PS3 also has Home coming soon (a virtual world) and, eventually, game producers should be able to figure out how to properly program for 1080p output.

The other concern is that one needs an HDTV to max out the PQ for PS3 games and Blu-Ray. Of course, the XBox 360 owner also needs an HDTV to do the same. But as prices get lower an lower and while we wait for what'll soon be a digital standard signal from even our local channels, I'd suggest that 1080p LCD prices will come down significantly over the next year. In fact, one can go to Sam's Club and grab a 47" Vizio 1080p LCD TV for less than $1,600 bucks. A couple years ago, that's what I paid for a Sony WEGA 1080i CRT projection TV. The bigger Sony and Samsung LCD models run about a grand higher than that (as they should), but I ran across a Samsung 32" 720p HDTV last week for under $700. You have no idea how much I wanted to write a check for that, but the wife gave me "the look".
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?