Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: The Unofficial Video Game System Thread

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: The Unofficial Video Game System Thread

I just got done playing Call of Duty for awhile in the single player. I've already beat it once on Regular, but I'm going back through now on Veteran. Holy crap, is it ever rewarding just to beat a single level on that difficulty.

This is my first COD game, so I don't know if they're all like this, but I'm spending about an hour on some of the levels and getting way too frustrated. I'm only half way through the game on this setting too I'm an achievement junkie though, so I'm bound and determined to get it done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Imagine where they'll be 10 years from now.
    It will probably be like the Wii except full body suits....

I just get the feeling that the Wii has introduced a whole new type of technology. Imagine if they take the interaction necessary from the Wii and put it with the graphics and gameplay of the XBox 360/PS3. And then couple that with Blu Ray/HD disc capabilities. There's no doubt in 10 years games will probably be as close to reality as is possible. You will probably be immersed in 3-D surroundings and feel like you are actually in the game.

The possibilities are really mind boggling.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    You will probably be immersed in 3-D surroundings and feel like you are actually in the game.

The possibilities are really mind boggling.
    Bah -- did we learn NOTHING as a society from all the episodes of Star Trek where the holodeck malfunctioned and caused 19th century literary figures to run amok?

The other unintended consequence: Madden football gets a lot less fun when a prerequisite for playing it is being talented enough to actually play football.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Bah -- did we learn NOTHING as a society from all the episodes of Star Trek where the holodeck malfunctioned and caused 19th century literary figures to run amok?

The other unintended consequence: Madden football gets a lot less fun when a prerequisite for playing it is being talented enough to actually play football.
    Or imagine all the jumping required just to play Super Mario Brothers.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

The 360 is a better bet for now because you can actually buy more than four good games for it. The PS3 is probably the better system in the long run, though.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    The 360 is a better bet for now because you can actually buy more than four good games for it. The PS3 is probably the better system in the long run, though.
    While I agree, I'd suggest that the PS3 is ramping up sooner rather than later.

Recently, we've seen releases like Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, COD4, Rachet and Clank, Warhawk, and Unreal Tournament III receive high reviewer marks. Resistance: Fall of Man was great as a "release" title, and still holds up. The only real flaw found with Heavenly Sword has been it's length. Motorstorm is a super racing game, with the drawback of not being local multiplayer-equipped. Like COD4, Rock Band might not be an exclusive, but it's incredible. I think the sports games are lagging a bit due to the developers adjusting to programming for the cell processor, but I really enjoyed the Tiger Woods '08 demo. And if you own a PS3 and haven't downloaded High Velocity Bowling, my only question is "Why not???". It's addictive.

Killzone 2 looks like it'll live up to the hype, and I was blown away by the MGS4 gameplay video. Gran Turismo 5 looks beautiful as well.

I'm certainly not going to knock the 360's stable of games. It's bigger and it's got some highly rated titles. But there's quite a lot for gamers already on the PS3, solid downloadable content, and what looks like some "blow-em-away" titles on the horizon.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Best Solution?? Buy them both.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    And if you own a PS3 and haven't downloaded High Velocity Bowling, my only question is "Why not???". It's addictive.
    I'll have to grab that. Haven't actually turned on my PS3 in a couple months. I've been too busy with Halo 3 and Mass Effect. Besides, I've long since finished Resistance and Armored Core 4. I'm really looking forward to Little Big Planet on the PS3 and the Smash Bros. and Mario Kart games on the Wii.

I recently bought a PS3, and have been buying several games for it. I liked MLB 2007: The Show, and expect to get MLB 2008 when it comes out in spring. I have to vent on the Madden PS3 games however. The 2007 version only allowed you to create a player through minigames(which I hated), and had a new player progression system where you would accumalate points in training and use them to improve your player. I much preferred the old progression system on the PS2. They added a custom player CAP option on the 2008 version, but still had the same stupid training progression system. I am going to buy the PS2 Madden 2009 next year(the last one there will be on the PS2), and I may never buy another Madden games unless they get rid of that stupid progression system in Madden for the PS3.

Are you running it on HDMI or component?

It's amazing how good it looks, isn't it? It's utterly astonishing how far video games have come in the past 10 years.
    Unfortunately, my system is a core system that I got through earning Westlaw points, so it doesn't have an HDMI input on the box. Well, actually its a refurbed core system that Microsoft sent me after the one I got came up with the red ring of death. In any case, no HDMI input, so I had to go with the component cables. Halo 3 still looks great.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Best Solution?? Buy them both.
    That's definitely a possibility.....

I'm just not into gaming enough right now....I enjoy relaxing and playing a bit but with class and other demands I just don't have a whole lot of free time. But after graduation I think I'll get a lot more free time.

I appreciate everyone's opinions. I talked with a couple friends over dinner tonight who are big time into gaming and they both recommended the XBox 360 as of now by a long shot. They do share the same feeling that the PS3 could rebound with more games coming out but they said by the time it does I'll probably already have a job and could afford another system if I want.

So I think I will give it a try here after the holidays settle down and see what happens. Coming out of my N64 world I have a feeling I'm about to get absolutely blown away.

LMAO

Imagine going from a Ford Model-T to a Cobra Mustang.

Although, the differences will be somewhat muted for you until you upgrade to an HDTV.
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

I have been playing the HELL out of this game called: "Scarface: Money. Power. Respect." for the PSP. Interestingly, it is a TURN-BASED STRATEGY game based on the Scarface movie. It is REALLY fun. Hehehehe, every other sentence has an expletive, though, which I find funny. It is a very interesting take on making a game based on the Scarface Universe.

It certainly is exciting to look at all the possibilities these new systems open up. For me though, I'm content to bide my time until the price comes down on the 360 and stick to playing my regular X-Box.

Now if they want to hurry up and put Knights of the Old Republic III on shelves, then that would definitely speed up the process. We're talking release day purchase of a 360. Until then, I'll stick to playing the Splinter Cell games and Madden to pass the time.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

My wife is heading out of town to visit relatives for the week. I was thinking of renting a few games to pass the evenings while the wife is away. Any Xbox360 Games I should try out there? I've finished Halo 3, Gears of War, and Call of Duty 3.

Turn Off Ads?